Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Loyal Fan

Libraries

I've just started using mine, and I love how easy everything is versus how I remember. I can reserve everything online and I get notified when they are ready to pick up.
I was spending a fortune on books - now I'm reading all the good stuff for free! There's something to be said for that

Does anyone else use a library?
Old 04-16-2009, 08:20 AM
Passionate Fan

Me too!! I sort of just wound up back at my library a couple of months ago. As a way to save money but also to see how things were going. I LOVE it!! I'm there a couple of times a week it seems like. I'm going today to pick a book up!!!
Old 04-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Elite Fan

I do. I like to "test read" as it were before buying books. Unless a book is in a series I know, or I like the author specifically I'll try to get it through my library first.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Supreme Fan

^ That's what I do too I luckily have two libraries near me, so between the two of them, they cover most of the books I want to read

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Supreme Fan

I'll have to find out where the library is when I move and get a library card because I'll be on a more restricted budget and might not get to buy books as often as I want to.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Dedicated Fan

Unfortunately, although I enjoy reading, I can't say I like my library. Mostly because the library is my college library, and I only go there when I absolutely have to. I enjoy the solitude on the upper floors, but mostly its hard for me to find enjoyment from a place I have to go to for schoolwork most of the time. Plus, its very hard to navigate (it has 4 floors) and find novels instead of school books or nonfiction books put there to use for research.
Nicole{icon:Andra}
Old 04-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyflower189 (View Post)
Unfortunately, although I enjoy reading, I can't say I like my library. Mostly because the library is my college library, and I only go there when I absolutely have to. I enjoy the solitude on the upper floors, but mostly its hard for me to find enjoyment from a place I have to go to for schoolwork most of the time. Plus, its very hard to navigate (it has 4 floors) and find novels instead of school books or nonfiction books put there to use for research.
Yeah, tell me about it. My college library is the same way. We have 11 floors and most of them are research books, non-fiction, or even foreign fiction, things like Tibetan Fairytale (which are great but I can't read them). So on campus I never really rent books from the library except from class.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Supreme Fan

Same here - ours doens't even have a fiction section, which I suppose makes sense but it also makes me not want to go there It also doesn't help that the library is really dreary on the inside - it's all brown and tan and looks like it hasn't been redone since the 60s or 70s.

Does anyone sit and read at the library? I personally don't really unless I have something going on shortly and just need a place to hang out until then. I can't ever get really comfortable and it's almost too quiet for me...

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-17-2009, 08:06 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
Same here - ours doens't even have a fiction section, which I suppose makes sense but it also makes me not want to go there It also doesn't help that the library is really dreary on the inside - it's all brown and tan and looks like it hasn't been redone since the 60s or 70s.

Does anyone sit and read at the library? I personally don't really unless I have something going on shortly and just need a place to hang out until then. I can't ever get really comfortable and it's almost too quiet for me...
I like how quite my library is, because I do like it to be quiet when I read, but the chairs are hard and wood and I just can't get comfortable at all. So yeah, I never read there. Sometimes I study but rarely do I even do that.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Passionate Fan

I love the library. I never buy books from book stores. Too expensive. I get all of my books from my local library. If they don't have something I want, I place a hold online for them to order it from another library. Pretty simple and very effective. Lol.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:41 AM
Addicted Fan

I love the library. It is exactly two minutes from my house. I go there every chance I get. Its relaxing to me to spend some time there. Sometimes after I rough day I like to go in there, read a bit, and then my mind feels at ease and relaxed.

"No matter what kind of day I am having butterflies will always help me cope."
Old 04-17-2009, 11:49 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Never. I hate it so much I honestly only go there when absolutely forced to find a book instead of an article from an online database. I really and truly hate all the searching and going through all the shelves looking for the exact number, and of course I always miss it and spend an hour looking for two books, then when I find them, they're old and yellow and have nothing to do with the paper I'm writing.

And my home library isn't much better. I'm from a small town and our library is in the basement of an old church. I'm not a fan of old used books, to be honest, not to sound like a snob or anything. But they have a distinct smell- not as nice as a fresh book just bought and the yellowed pages sometimes have stains from other people who've used them and read them while eating cheetos or some kind of food. And I can never find a good book, since they have such a cruddy selection.

The only thing about libraries I really enjoy is the quiet and the solitude. Its nice to get away from everything.
Nicole{icon:Andra}
Old 04-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Master Fan

I love libraries. My library back home is great, and it's part of a big system, so I put stuff on hold there all the time when I'm home. I don't usually stay there to read, but I love stocking up on books there. I have nowhere near the cash to go out and buy all the books I want to read, and I don't have the space to store a ton of books anyway, so the library's great for finding new stuff that I want to read but not necessarily own.

I'm not as fond of the library in the town where I go to school, mostly because it's smaller and has less variety, but I still go there a few times a semester. My library at school is really nice, and great for studying, but I wouldn't go there for leisure reading.
that a broken heart is blind
Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyflower189 (View Post)
I'm not a fan of old used books, to be honest, not to sound like a snob or anything. But they have a distinct smell- not as nice as a fresh book just bought and the yellowed pages sometimes have stains from other people who've used them and read them while eating cheetos or some kind of food.
I will admit that when I am reading a book and see some stain or some substance residue on the pages, I get a little grossed out. Thankfully that doens't happen too often, but when it does, I always wonder what it is blech.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 04-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Loyal Fan

Whe i was growing up I would go into town early so I could sit in the quiet and read a Mills and Boon book (yes, I know ) to myself before starting work.
Then I moved away to University and like everyone else, it was full of research books, and I hated it.
Rediscovering has been lovely. I'll admit I don't go and sit in there. It is not quiet at all. Full of kids and teachers trying to get them to read etc.
I just request everything on line and then go pick it all up every two weeks. Genius
Closed Thread   Post New Thread