Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2006, 05:12 PM
Addicted Fan

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

I was wondering if there's anybody else here who read this amazing book...
Because I loved it!
"Grace is what matters. In anything, especially life, especially growth, tragedy, pain, love, death. That's a quality I admire very greatly. It keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly, it keeps you from destroying things too foolishly. And sort of keeps you alive."
-Supersonic- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:13 PM
Supreme Fan

I nominated that for our book of the month this month but it didn't win. When I read about it I thought it looked really interesting so the next time I go to the bookstore I'm going to check it out.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel
I nominated that for our book of the month this month but it didn't win. When I read about it I thought it looked really interesting so the next time I go to the bookstore I'm going to check it out.
I hope you'll like it then. It's an amazing novel
"Grace is what matters. In anything, especially life, especially growth, tragedy, pain, love, death. That's a quality I admire very greatly. It keeps you from reaching for the gun too quickly, it keeps you from destroying things too foolishly. And sort of keeps you alive."
Old 07-13-2006, 05:17 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, I bought it while I was out, they had a buy 3 get the 4th free at Borders so I went a little crazy. I'm going to wait until I finish up a couple of the other things I'm reading right now. I'm working on The Odyssey by Homer for a class and I need to finish that, but I'm very interested in it.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:22 PM
Extreme Fan

I loved this book, plus it took place near where I lived. When he was naming some of the streets in Hayward, I was like, hey I know where that is.
Nora: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.
Nick: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.
diamondroad17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:06 AM
Supreme Fan

I love it when books or movies are in places near where you live or visit. I live in Southern Indiana and am really close to Elizabethtown where the movie with Orlando Bloom and Kirsten Dunst was filmed, which was cool. I was in Bath when Vanity Fair was being filmed, and I've been to France and seen most of the places in the DaVinvi Code by Dan Brown, including the Mona Lisa, which was just cool beyond words. It's just neat to be able to put places and books together. My next goal is to go to King's Cross Station and see platform 9 3/4.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:55 AM
Extreme Fan

I love The Kite Runner! The language is simple but a very memorable story. This book made my head hurt because of continuous crying.

I heard that they are making a movie of this?
Mavericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavericks
I love The Kite Runner! The language is simple but a very memorable story. This book made my head hurt because of continuous crying.

I heard that they are making a movie of this?
Yep. According to IMDB(Internet Movie Datebase), the movie will be directed by Marc Forster(Finding Neverland) and will be released next year. IMDB also nominated Jonathan Ahdout as Amir.
Here is The Kite Runner IMDB: The Kite Runner (2007)
Old 07-19-2006, 06:10 AM
Supreme Fan

I finished the book yesterday, only took me about three days of reading, and I loved it. There is such a beautiful story inside those pages that I didn't want it to end, I was sad to actually put it down. I really like that book, and apparently he has another one about Afghanistan coming out this year.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Part-Time Fan

I LOVED THIS BOOK! it was summer reading for school. The only thing I had a problem with is it was very cliched and everything came in a full circle. Plus why didn't they get the nephew some help. If someone I cared about was like that I would want to get them help. Any thoughts?

.:. Lanie .:.

ICON
Unchallenged_4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:32 PM
Supreme Fan

I think it may have been a cultural thing. In a number of middle eastern cultures (not trying to stereotype mind you, it's the more conservative ones) it's a very bad thing to acknowledge a psychological disorder. So it was probably something like that. Also, once you get help, it says that the person had a problem, and Amir probably understood what the boy was going through and knew that the problem would work itself out. I think with something like that, counseling might not have helped. He didn't seem to have psychological or behavoral problems, he was just withdrawn, shy. Besides, in modern times it scares me to go to a psychologists because so many of them try to solve every problem with medications.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Part-Time Fan

The Kite Runner

OMG i want to read that book so badly i cant find it anywhere in libraries its always out in stores i cant i've been on hold for 2 months lol :( i want to read it soo badly im going to cry can someone who read it tell me a little about it plzz it will be really helpful :)

Music_Is_Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:52 PM
New Fan

Hope you can find a copy soon.

I haven't read it yet, but I've heard that it's very good!
OrCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:23 AM
Master Fan

This is on my to be read list. I've heard so many good things about it.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Supreme Fan

It's really a good book. It's been about a year since I've read it but I really enjoyed it. It's more an experience than just reading a book. I liked the fact that the story was more about the emotions and experiences of a young boy living in Afghanistan instead of making some type of political statement or just talking about war. And the kite fighting that takes place in the book provide some of the most beautiful scenic descriptions I've seen in a book in a long time. I hope you can get a hold of it. You might try half.com for a cheaper, used copy of the book. I've had pretty good luck buying textbooks off that website. Just an idea.
Reply   Post New Thread