Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2015, 02:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was about to post that during the trail with the black man it was mentioned that it was 1935. I knew it had to be early 1900s since it was mentioned about an uncle that was a Confederate Veteran that was still alive.

I forgot the book covers a few years.

April
Drunk On You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I figured it was early 1900's too

I believe there has been many different book covers.
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I didn't mean the actual book cover. I meant the span was a few years within the book.

Started Go Set a Watchman. So far I see what people are complaining about. Although it's not necessary a sequel and was the first draft of TKaM before it was rejected, I still think they should of edited it a little bit to maybe be fore of a sequel. There's so many inconsistencies between the two books.

I was so confused at first with Scout's love interest from them interchangeably using Henry and Hank for his name. There's inconsistency with her aunt. In this book Atticus calls her Zandra which I'm assuming is a nickname but it was never used in the first. She came to live with Atticus when his health was going, where in TKaM she came to live with them because she thought the kids were running wild. Their ancestor land/home were being sold off in pieces and none of the Finches had lived there in years, where her aunt and her family stayed in lived there. There's an extra sister in this book. Hank/Henry lived across the street during the school year but he didn't exist in TKaM. But so far the biggest one was the Tom Robinson trail. In this book Atticus won in court and it was a white 14 year old.

Spoiler:

I'm not too far in the book.

April
Old 09-25-2015, 11:59 PM
Fan Forum Star

You'd think the editor would have done a better at editing issues.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

See I don't think much was edited.

But I didn't care for the book. It was almost kind of hard to follow. Really it almost seemed pointless, the only thing about it was finding out Atticus is a racist. With after reading it, I don't think he really was. Like he said in the first book, put yourself in their skin. You have to remember this is a white man in the 1950s in the deep south. The south is very much pro state rights. They don't like the big government telling them how to run things, etc. Also it's said that Atticus although believes in equal rights he also believed that privileges such as voting aren't rights but should be earned by every man. I saw what he really was seeing. This was a poor area to say. Where the blacks were even poorer and most of them were hardly educated and barely had any skills. Here's a movement telling them they have a right to positions like mayor, etc. Which they do. But in areas like these focus on getting them a proper education.

Even after reading it, I refuse to believe he's a racist.

April
Old 09-27-2015, 04:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ah, do you think if it was edited better or edited at all, seems to be the case; and flowed better.. if it would have ended up being better?

You know.. now that I think about it, I don't even think I have read TKAMB before. I think I was getting the movie "Mississippi Burning" story confused with this.
Old 09-27-2015, 06:06 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Probably. Especially if it was edited to be a sequel and didn't have the inconsistencies. I feel like there was no point to it. Only thing is you see how things were in the deep South in the 1950s a bit. We don't even find out what really happens to Scout after that and how her life turned out.

April
Old 10-03-2015, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah. It probably would have been better to change it around and make it a sequel instead.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Master Fan

Harper Lee died guys. RIP

Harper Lee dead: To Kill A Mockingbird author dies at 89 | EW.com

Harper Lee, the American author who penned the timeless classic To Kill a Mockingbird, has died in her hometown Monroeville, Alabama at 89 years old, a county coroner confirms to EW. Beyond being a regional masterpiece, the basis of a classic film, a reading-list perennial, and a blockbuster novel that still sells over a million copies in the U.S. every year, Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird has earned, without hyperbole, that rare honor: widely beloved. Last year, Lee made frequent headlines over the controversial 2015 publication of her second novel, Go Set A Watchman, which was initially an early draft of Mockingbird.

Set in Depression-era Alabama, To Kill a Mockingbirdis the story of Atticus Finch—a white lawyer crusading for a black defendant falsely accused of rape and a widower idolized by his two children, Scout and Jem. Its characters grew straight from the author’s childhood: Her own father, like Finch, was a lawyer and state legislator, and “Finch,” in fact, was her mother’s maiden name. Nelle Harper Lee herself was, as a girl, tomboyish as Scout, and the precocious playmate immortalized as Dill was based on the boy next door, Truman Persons, who, grown up and using the last name Capote, employed Lee as a researcher for his true-crime classic In Cold Blood. The celebrated book will head to Broadway next year.Aaron Sorkin is set to write a new stage adaption and Tony winner Bartlett Sher (The King and I, Fiddler on the Roof) is set to direct.

Harper Lee considered getting into the family business but quit law school one semester shy of graduating to make herself a writer. In 1949, she moved to New York and spent almost a decade crafting short stories no editor found publishable. But then her agent suggested that she expand one story into a novel, and To Kill a Mockingbird appeared in July 1960. In its first year out, the book sold 500,000 copies and won the Pulitzer. In its second, it remained a best-seller list and also became a hit at the movies: The 1962 film version was nominated for eight Oscars and won three, including a Best Actor trophy for Gregory Peck. According to the transcript of a jocular press call for the movie, when a reporter asked Lee if she found her second novel coming slowly, she parried: “Well, I hope to live to see it published.” As the years passed and no new book appeared, gossip filled the void: She was crafting her memoirs. She was working a nonfiction story about a murderous Alabama preacher. Soon Lee began swearing that she’d changed her mind: She’d never publish another book.

That abruptly changed with the July 2015 publication of Go Set A Watchman, which generated plenty of controversy: Was Lee lucid enough to give consent given the damaging stroke she suffered? Was it any accident that this book was appearing so soon after the death of Lee’s sister/gatekeeper, Alice? Was this purely a cash grab by Lee’s lawyer and caretaker, Tonja B. Carter? And finally: What would the book—which portrays Atticus Finch as a card-carrying racist, do to Mockingbird’s legacy? For her part, Lee made several statements through her lawyer saying she was “happy as hell” about Watchman’s publication. Upon its release, the book ended up selling 1.1 million copies in less than a week, despite decidedly mixed reviews from critics.

Lee never addressed the Watchman controversy in an interview. That’s not surprising since she spoke only rarely to the press, granting her last interview in 1964. But she was never a hardened recluse, either, living first in New York, then sharing a house in Monroeville with her sister Alice before her health declined and she had to enter a living facility. Though she was a private person, she carried out a social life—especially in Monroeville, where she was zealously protected by townspeople. For decades, she answered fan mail, blurbed the rare book, and occasionally materialized, as gracious as she was quiet, to accept an award.
The Survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for bringing that over.

RIP

April
Old 02-19-2016, 02:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Genuinely upset hearing this news today. The world has lost one of its greatest authors. RIP.
Scully_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:48 PM
Moderator Support Team

Sad to hear that she passed away..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
fly me to the moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 06:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

SO sad, but she lived to such a good age. RIP.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

She did.

April
Old 02-22-2016, 05:01 AM
Fan Forum Star

At least she got two best sellers out of it. I don't believe she got married or had any children though.
Reply   Post New Thread