Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Kelley Armstrong: Women of the Otherworld Series

I couldn't find a thread for us to discuss her books so I hope it's okay to start one?

I've just ordered Stolen from the US, it should take about 5 weeks to arrive. However will I hold out [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Because I am a spoiler **** can anyone tell me a bit about what happens. Is it as good as Bitten?

And which characters do people like the most? I like Elena obviously and mmmmClay [img]smilies/drool_spit.gif[/img] I am also partial to Antonio, Nicky, and Jeremy. I did think some characters were less well-drawn which could be seen as a flaw. The warewolfs that died didn't really grab me overall. And Phillip was just dull.

Any other fans out there? And anyone know anything about who is being cast for the movie (whoever plays Clay just better be damn hot [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited Frelling Tralk ]

CLICK ME
Frelling Tralk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 10:48 AM
Passionate Fan

[img]smilies/wave.gif[/img]Hi Frelling Tralk

I like Armstrong’s books too, although I don’t know many people around here who have read her work before.

I would say Stolen is very different from Bitten. Don’t expect the same kind of introspective “self-discovery” narration from Elena in this one. There seems to be more emphasis on the activity around her and on the new emerging characters. But that was totally expected, since Kelley has already said she wants the series to focus on various preternatural characters. Stolen has demons, witches, vampires, sorcerers, egomaniacal scientists and gun-toting soldiers. So basically a little of everything [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]. There’s also the occasional sexual antics and biting sarcasm too. Paige(the new protagonist in book 3) doesn’t come across as being too warm & fuzzy in Stolen. But I think her character has potential. If I had to draw a comparison of Bitten vs. Stolen I’d say it’s like comparing the movies Fellowship of the Rings to The Two Towers. Total opposites in pacing and storytelling but good in their own way.

Elena is my favourite character so I’ll be sad to see her put on hiatus after book 2. Hopefully the other protagonists will fill in the gap. As for casting Bitten? Well, I thought Angelina Jolie was a very strange choice for Elena but then again I usually like AJ in everything she does. Clay is a mystery…though I would like to see Josh Lucas play that role.

tSG
Old 04-10-2003, 12:01 PM
Master Fan

I've heard Bitten is very good but I haven't read it yet. I even bought the hardback for $3 but it's still sitting there. I'll come back to this thread after I've read it. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by thescoobygang:
I would say Stolen is very different from Bitten. Don’t expect the same kind of introspective “self-discovery” narration from Elena in this one. There seems to be more emphasis on the activity around her and on the new emerging characters. But that was totally expected, since Kelley has already said she wants the series to focus on various preternatural characters.

Elena is my favourite character so I’ll be sad to see her put on hiatus after book 2. Hopefully the other protagonists will fill in the gap.
I started reading Kelley Armstrong after reading a review in SFX, and it sounded similiar to the Anita Blake books which I also enjoy.

Thanks for the info on Stolen. Does it feature plenty of romance with Elena and Clay? Do Jeremy and the pack have much of a role?

And who is this Paige? I didn't know that there would be no more Elena [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Will the third book feature entirely new characters then? Cheers for any info [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

CLICK ME
Old 04-10-2003, 05:57 PM
Passionate Fan

I loved Bitten! Clay is just so delicious. I am really looking foward to Stolen. I preordered it last year, but am still waiting. Unfortunately, I heard Clay does not have much of a part to play in this book. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] At the author's website, she is writing installments of a story on Clay before he met Elena. I think a new chapter gets posted every month. So, I have that to tied me over.

-- Butterflies and Hurricanes ~ Muse
Doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 08:11 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Doogie:
I loved Bitten! Clay is just so delicious. I am really looking foward to Stolen. I preordered it last year, but am still waiting. Unfortunately, I heard Clay does not have much of a part to play in this book. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] At the author's website, she is writing installments of a story on Clay before he met Elena. I think a new chapter gets posted every month. So, I have that to tied me over.
I love that novella. Getting Clay's past from his perspective was my wish after reading Stolen. Any fans who haven't read it you so should. It's totally free [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Only seven chapters so far but more on the way. Young Clay's interaction with Jeremy and Antonio is just too cute.

Kelley Armstrong is really nice as well. She has a message board set up for feedback and discussions with fans, and when I e-mailed her she replied [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] She seems cool.

CLICK ME
Old 04-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Frelling Tralk:

Thanks for the info on Stolen. Does it feature plenty of romance with Elena and Clay? Do Jeremy and the pack have much of a role?

And who is this Paige? I didn't know that there would be no more Elena [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img] Will the third book feature entirely new characters then? Cheers for any info [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

There are some really intimate moments but not a lot. If I recall correctly Kelley said that romance will continue to play a role in the ongoing series but it won't be a focal point like it was in Bitten. Clay & Jeremy are the only Pack members who appear in Stolen. Their scenes are limited but they always bring a vibrant energy to the story whenever they're around.

Paige is the apprentice witch who will be the protagonist in the 3rd book Dime Store Magic. I think many of the extra characters introduced in Stolen will be prominent in the next 2 books...so in that regard they won't seem entirely new to us. As far as I know, Elena & the Pack are on hiatus after Stolen but will return at a later date. It's sort of like me waiting for Edward to return in the Anita Blake series. He's gone but not really gone. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I think though, that Kelley might continue to provide more Pack stories for her online novella...just so the fans don't have to quit the werewolves cold turkey. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Kelley does seem nice to me too. I can kinda see some of her own humour in the Elena character. She autographed the copy of Stolen I won from her "Cast the movie" contest. I definitely have a good impression from her and will read her books as long as she keeps putting them out.

tSG
Old 04-12-2003, 09:42 AM
jjt
Master Fan

Just started the book last night. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm not very far in as yet .. but so far I'm liking it. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
jjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2003, 03:17 AM
jjt
Master Fan

I'm 275 pages in and ADORING this book!

Clay's character is AMAZINGly perfect .. and I've already all but forgotten about whats his name back in Toronto. The pack perspective is as good as any I've read .. right there up with LKH's Blake pack writing. I'm already quite emotionally invested in the characters and was very very upset over the loss of ***** by the mutt pack. I'd read a review somewhere that the action was secondary to the characters journey in this story. That may be true over all .. but there is quite a lot of action going on .. it's all very exciting and I'm completely thankful I have tomorrow off and no plans cause I want to read more NOW. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 04-13-2003, 06:05 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Ok finished Bitten and ADORE this book .. how am I supposed to wait for May 22 for the next one? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] The first person look at pack dynamics is just amazing. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes the Anita Blake series. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for introducing me to it tSG.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Passionate Fan

You're most welcome jjt. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] So many people on this board have introduced me to amazing authors I thought it would be nice to return the favour whenever I can.

I can't believe you finished the book already. The pace of Bitten is so much slower than Anita Blake, I was worried you might find it a bit boring after reading CS so recently. So what was your favourite scene from Bitten? I really loved the part where Elena allowed the dog to bite her as a diversion tactic and then she & Clay were trying really hard not to laugh through all the melodrama. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Clay the blonde-haired bad boy sweetie. He tries so hard to make Elena see they are meant for each other. Btw, if you want more info on Clay don't forget to check out Kelley's online novella ...it's about Clay's life prior to Elena.

Oh and if you're wondering...Stolen is also narrated by Elena. But the Pack business takes a back seat to other interesting developments. More action, more characters & more villains, but less romance.

Now all we need to do is find a few more authors with similar writing that can fill in the gaps while we wait for more LKH and Armstrong. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

tSG
Old 04-13-2003, 10:10 PM
jjt
Master Fan

[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] there's more Clay on line .. jjt runs off to download immediately. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

lets see .. fav scene .. well all the stuff with Clay .. I swear I even teared up a couple of times. Sigh. But my fav may well have been the running and the hunts .. very well written.

Stolen comes out here in the states in May .. I was kinda already prepared from stuff I'd read on the sci-fantasy thread that it wouldn't be all pack. I'll still give it a go. Loved the into for it at the end of Bitten .. but if it really doesn't center on Elena .. you couldn't tell it from the promo. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]

AGreed on a few more like LKH and Armstrong. Just a few more .. lol .. and thank goodness Robb puts out a couple in death books a year. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

off to download ... jjt darts away
Old 04-15-2003, 04:40 PM
jjt
Master Fan

After reading pretty much all the content on the official site. I have a bit of a concern.

Ok .. not sure I'm going to like this new character that the next few books of the series centers on. And as much as I understand her wanting to do a "women of the underworld" series so she's not tied into one character or one type .. isn't she doing the same thing by having it center on this new character in stolen?

I guess what I'm saying .. if she switched off every book .. or even every other book .. I'd understand it more. But as is I liked the first one so much .. I don't feel real comfortable with the change. Maybe the folks that have read Stolen will help me out by saying how great it is?

The Bitten prequel on line is quite nice. I'm enjoying it .. but waiting a month a chapter is gonna suck.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:18 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jjt:
<STRONG>After reading pretty much all the content on the official site. I have a bit of a concern.

Ok .. not sure I'm going to like this new character that the next few books of the series centers on. And as much as I understand her wanting to do a "women of the underworld" series so she's not tied into one character or one type .. isn't she doing the same thing by having it center on this new character in stolen?

I guess what I'm saying .. if she switched off every book .. or even every other book .. I'd understand it more. But as is I liked the first one so much .. I don't feel real comfortable with the change. Maybe the folks that have read Stolen will help me out by saying how great it is?

The Bitten prequel on line is quite nice. I'm enjoying it .. but waiting a month a chapter is gonna suck.</STRONG>
I am worried about this change as well. Maybe its because I love Clay and Elena and am looking foward to learning more about them. I want their story to be front and center. Hopefully, Stolen will minimize my fears, but I am defintely going to miss Clay. What a dynamic character .

-- Butterflies and Hurricanes ~ Muse
Doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:49 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jjt:
<STRONG>

</STRONG>
Your worries about the new direction are shared by a lot of her fans(including me). And this particular topic has actually been discussed for months on the board and through emails from KA. So I’ll just tell you what I know about this.

Stolen is still all about Elena. Her adventure is the sole focus of the book. The only difference now is that instead of Pack business, it’s about Elena being rudely thrust into a whole new world of baddies & supernaturals that she never knew existed. Clay's scenes are minimal but he is there when it counts most. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]: Paige is a supporting character…and she appears in less than 10% of the plot. Stolen is meant to be a transition book of sorts. It’s a way for KA to draw a connection between the wolves and the other supernaturals…hence the extra characters being introduced.

KA is planning to switch characters for every 1-2 books(or at least that’s the impression I got). I think the original route she wanted to go was werewolves, then witches/demons, then vampires(but don't quote me on that). Since she writes in a first person narrative, she has to devote at least one entire book to a character’s perspective(eg. Elena, then Paige, then whoever else).

did that help any? [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

tSG

[ 04-16-2003: Message edited thescoobygang ]