Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

"Kate Daniels Series" by Ilona Andrews #1 ~ Sassy, quick with a sword and always ready to pull on Death's whiskers

Welcome to the Kate Daniels Thread

The Kate Daniels series consists of three books so far: Magic Bites. Magic Burns and Magic Strikes. The fourth instalment is supposed to be released sometime next year.

1. Magic Bites
Atlanta would be a nice place to live, if it weren’t for magic…

One moment magic dominates, and cars stall and guns fail. The next, technology takes over and the defensive spells no longer protect your house from monsters. Here skyscrapers topple under onslaught of magic; werebears and werehyenas prowl through the ruined streets; and the Masters of the Dead, necromancers driven by their thirst of knowledge and wealth, pilot blood-crazed vampires with their minds.

In this world lives Kate Daniels. Kate likes her sword a little too much and has a hard time controlling her mouth. The magic in her blood makes her a target, and she spent most of her life hiding in plain sight. But when Kate’s guardian is murdered, she must choose to do nothing and remain safe or to pursue his preternatural killer. Hiding is easy, but the right choice is rarely easy…
2. Magic Burns
Down in Atlanta, tempers - and temperatures - are about to flare…

As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate’s going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.

When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta’s paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest - and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can’t stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive…
3. Magic Strikes
Drafted into working for the Order of Merciful Aid, mercenary Kate Daniels has more paranormal problems than she knows what to do with these days. And in Atlanta, where magic comes and goes like the tide, that’s saying a lot.

But when Kate’s werewolf friend Derek is discovered nearly dead, she must confront her greatest challenge yet. As her investigation leads her to the Midnight Games - an invitation only, no holds barred, ultimate preternatural fighting tournament - she and Curran, the Lord of the Beasts, uncover a dark plot that may forever alter the face of Atlanta’s shapeshifting community…
Fans
01. Andie
02. Nad
03. Niahm
04. Arriana
05. KOUAT12
06. Tomorrow's skies
07. Stay to the Lights

Last edited by Tomorrow's skies; 07-15-2013 at 02:24 PM
Old 07-13-2009, 01:00 PM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Ugh, don't hit me, but I just realized I didn't stop here before

Anyhow, I'm here now and you can add me to the list
Old 07-13-2009, 01:11 PM
Master Fan

I'm so happy we have a Kate Daniels thread!
Can you add me to the list as well, Andie?

Anyway, like I was saying in the TB Board, I spent the last two nights up until 5AM reading these books. They're funny, action-packed, and the characters have a great characterization.

Ilona Andrews did a brilliant job creating a brand new world where vampires aren't sexy (go figure ) and you actually believe magic waves will interfere with cars and telephones and Gods can walk among humans.

Now I'm waiting for the next book!
Old 07-14-2009, 04:50 AM
Nad
Fan Forum Hero

Hi Nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niahm (View Post)
Ilona Andrews did a brilliant job creating a brand new world where vampires aren't sexy (go figure ) and you actually believe magic waves will interfere with cars and telephones and Gods can walk among humans.
I think it is part of the appeal for me that the vampires aren't sexy for a change and that the whole concept with the magic waves is different from other vampire/urban fantasy books out there
Old 07-14-2009, 05:05 AM
Master Fan

Yay! Finally a Kate Daniels thread. I love this series/world. I was a little into the first book but I think the writing has improve with each book. I can't wait to read more. I'm excited about Must Love Hellhounds!
Old 07-14-2009, 05:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I just downloaded these books after seeing the quotes in your sigs I look forward to reading them is that a ummm lightsaber in her hand on the covers?

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
Old 07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Master Fan

Nad! Thanks for guiding me to this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by globe2912 (View Post)
I think it is part of the appeal for me that the vampires aren't sexy for a change and that the whole concept with the magic waves is different from other vampire/urban fantasy books out there
I don't read many vampite/urban fantasy books (not yet, anyway. When I'm done with your recs I'll be an expert ) but I loved how everything about it seemed completely original. Or at least everything had a twist that made things so different from everything else I've seen out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onionroach (View Post)
Yay! Finally a Kate Daniels thread. I love this series/world. I was a little into the first book but I think the writing has improve with each book. I can't wait to read more. I'm excited about Must Love Hellhounds!
I noticed this as well, the writing and characterization gets better with every book.
What's Must Love Hellhounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken|smile (View Post)
I just downloaded these books after seeing the quotes in your sigs I look forward to reading them is that a ummm lightsaber in her hand on the covers?
Yay! I'm glad you're going to read the books!
It's not a lightsaber, it's a sword. Though a lightsaber would be cool as well.
Let us know what you think of them!
Old 07-15-2009, 04:32 AM
Master Fan

Must Love Hellhounds in an anthology that includes a Kate Daniels story.

Does anyone read Ilona Andrew's blog? They will put up excerpt from the next book on it. There's definitely spoilers. They also posted the first meeting between Curran and Kate only from Curran's pov. I thought it was cute.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
The thread has been here for awhile, sadly no one posted Btw you should join us over at the Kate/Curran thread @ the Couples board as well if you are a fan of those too

Welcome everyone I am going to add you now to the fan list as requested
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Must Love Hellhounds in an anthology that includes a Kate Daniels story.
Darn, I didn't read it. When does it take place?

Quote:
Does anyone read Ilona Andrew's blog? They will put up excerpt from the next book on it. There's definitely spoilers. They also posted the first meeting between Curran and Kate only from Curran's pov. I thought it was cute.
The first meeting between Curran and Kate was a great read.
It's nice of her to write that for her fans, it was definitely interesting to find out what Curran was thinking.
And since I'm already longing for the next book, I read the excerpt from the next book as well.
Should make things interesting, it sounds great to me. (Don't know how specific we can be, seeing as the book is not out yet).
Old 07-16-2009, 04:45 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie (View Post)
The thread has been here for awhile, sadly no one posted Btw you should join us over at the Kate/Curran thread @ the Couples board as well if you are a fan of those too

Welcome everyone I am going to add you now to the fan list as requested
Wow! That's what I get for not visiting this board often.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:24 AM
Supreme Fan

I just checked out the first chapter online, and it really sucked me in! I like the idea of a book where vampires aren't the sexy creatures they're typically made out to be...I get a little tired of the typical vampire tales..

*Adds another book to must read list*

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 07-16-2009, 07:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
I just checked out the first chapter online, and it really sucked me in! I like the idea of a book where vampires aren't the sexy creatures they're typically made out to be...I get a little tired of the typical vampire tales..

They are everything but the typical vampire stereotype you find in most of the books these days

You should really give it a try
Old 07-22-2009, 04:51 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Star Trek
Robert Carlyle

I received 'Magic Bites' this morning, so going to start delving in today or tomorrow
Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)

This book is definitely very different and very interesting. They really suck you in.

Quote:
I received 'Magic Bites' this morning, so going to start delving in today or tomorrow
Tracey, that's awesome! Let us know what you think!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread