Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 08:02 PM
Supreme Fan

June Book Club: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Hey everyone,
So the winner this month was Vampire Academy. Keep in mind a couple of things. First of all, this board is only for the first book. Some people here, myself included, have not read all of the books (I haven't read the first one but I plan on going to get it tomorrow so I'll be here soon to be part of the conversation) so please don't post spoilers about relationships in other books unless you give a spoiler warning or put it in a spoiler box. Second, feel free to assume that everyone here has read the first one, so spoilers for the first book are just fine. And third, have fun talking about the book. It looks pretty interesting. Here's the synopsis from Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more
Quote:
After two years on the run, best friends Rose, half-human/half-vampire, and Lissa, a mortal vampire princess, are caught and returned to St. Vladimir's Academy. Up until then, Rose had kept Lissa safe from her enemies; school, however, brings both girls additional challenges and responsibilities. How they handle peer pressure, nasty gossip, new relationships, and anonymous threats may mean life or death. Likable narrator Rose hides doubts about her friend behind a tough exterior; orphan Lissa, while coping with difficult emotional issues such as depression and survivor's guilt, uses her emerging gifts for good.
I can't wait to pick it up. Alright everyone, have fun.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Fan Forum Legend

awesomes its a great book
The Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 06:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Cant wait to hear what you guys think of it

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
s e r e n i t y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:04 AM
Supreme Fan

As I said in the nomination thread, I see this all the time at Barnes and Noble and I've been curious to read it so I'm glad it was chosen!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:14 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, i love this book!
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Master Fan

good timing, i just bought this book and was about to start
'Cause now I o w n you Stefan&Katherine | megan

defyprobability is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Supreme Fan

I bought the book today and am already over halfway through. I really like it a lot more than I expected to, probably because it deviates from the standard, vampire falls in love with human but can't have him/her because it's too dangerous so he torments himself about it and then they end up together anyway fare that's been coming through the pipes recently. I'll probably finish it up tomorrow so I'll be back then.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:42 AM
Fan Forum Star

It sure is different from all those other Vampire stories out there.
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:08 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yup, and Richelle creates sorta like new creatures altogether she didnt change the old ones to fit the qualities she wanted

[TWENTY YEARS OF YOUNG AMERICANS!]
Join us for one l a s t celebration!♡
♪_where would we be without a little l o v e?
[ Sheida : Tumblr | Twitter | Instagram ]
s e r e n i t y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Supreme Fan

That really makes me excited to read it - I have to admit that "typical" vampire stories don't interest me a ton, so hearing that Mead creates her own vampire world makes me happy

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 06-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, OK, so I actually finished it last night because I just couldn't put it down. I really want to go buy the others now but I'm on a book budget until pay day (I've gone a little crazy lately). Anyway, I really enjoyed it.
I like Rose, she's an interesting character and I like the fact that she's very flawed but also that she's a female character who is unapologetic about her sexuality but still maintains an essence of purity (her virginity) that is important to her even though she is a sexual creature.
And Lissa is an interesting character. I'm fascinated with the concept of psychology and how her mind is being effected by her ability to heal. It seems to be that the general consensus the research Rose did was that she will go crazy if she uses her magics but that perhaps Rose, as her guardian, can keep her sane.
And, of course, I'm a huge Rose/Dimitri shipper now. They're a cute couple. Can't wait to see what happens in the next few books...after payday.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Supreme Fan

so you'd say it's definitely worth the money then? Both of the libraries near me are out and there are two holds on it at one library, so I am debating just going out and buying it, but I want to know it's worth it. I bought the first Vampire Diaries book and just couldn't get into it, so it ended up being a dud buy. Would you say it's good enough to go out and buy?

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 06-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
so you'd say it's definitely worth the money then? Both of the libraries near me are out and there are two holds on it at one library, so I am debating just going out and buying it, but I want to know it's worth it. I bought the first Vampire Diaries book and just couldn't get into it, so it ended up being a dud buy. Would you say it's good enough to go out and buy?
Yeah, I mean, I'd say it's worth it. I got it for 9 bucks at the local borders but check and see if there are any sales, or if you have any points or any coupons or something you might be able to get it cheaper, like Borders bucks or something like that. It was worth what I paid for it, and like I said, I plan on going and getting the other two sometime after I get paid. I just have to wait a little bit because of bills and all that fun stuff.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

i woudl definately tell u to buy it no matter how much it costs
The Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

ok so, im half through and I absolutley love it!! I love Rose so far! Probably will finish soon!
'Cause now I o w n you Stefan&Katherine | megan

defyprobability is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread