Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 05:55 AM
Supreme Fan

July book of the Month: A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

Okay, so I know we're already a few days into July and I apologize for my tardiness in getting this board started but I've been very busy, and I don't think many of us would have had time to read with the holiday weekend anyway, at least I know I wouldn't have. It was a tie between A Walk in the Woods and The Eyre Affair and I got on Amazon.com just to look at the two and picked A Walk in the Woods mainly because it was hard to find much on the Eyre Affair, there wasn't any kind of discription and only one review.
So if you nominate that a second time it may be good to put down a short discription.
Anyway, I'll be going out this afternoon and trying to find this book, it looks interesting, but feel free to talk about it, anything at all.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Whether you plan to make a trip like this one yourself one day or only care to read about it
Sounds good!! I'm interested.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:40 PM
Master Fan

I went to school in the southwest VA so I found this book extremely interesting! I read everything by Bryson! I loved the part about him going shopping for his trip I also like the fact that he doesn't make the trip at one time but step by step.

I like the way Bryson combines humor, facts and real stories into his travel adventures. I haven't read this book in a long time! However I always recommend Bryson to people I would be interested to see what you guys think of the book.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 07-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Total Fan

Does it count if I listened to the book-on-tape version a few years ago? It was both educational and hilarious, and had me in stitches, which can be a problem if you are listening to it while driving.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:05 AM
Loyal Fan

I love Bill Bryson - he's hilarious. He made a lot of my student train journeys a lot more interesting! I've already read it, but am quite happy going over it again!
Old 07-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom
Does it count if I listened to the book-on-tape version a few years ago? It was both educational and hilarious, and had me in stitches, which can be a problem if you are listening to it while driving.
I listened to this on tape on a trip to VA great stuff! I love his voice since he has a slight English accent from living in the UK so long

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 07-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This book sounds great. I don't think I'll have the time to read it in this month, but I definitely will in the future.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:50 PM
Master Fan

I bought this book a while ago, but I never read it! I guess it should be my BART book this week
Old 07-26-2006, 01:53 PM
Loyal Fan

My favourite thing about this book is the relationship between Bryson and his friend who he hadn't really seen since his last trip around Europe. The fact that all he eats is donuts and throws out half of his pack on the first day. Hilarious.
Both of them trekking for weeks and realising they'd only covered an inch on the map
Closed Thread   Post New Thread