Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2008, 03:53 PM
Master Fan

John Green Book Thread #1

Welcome to the first John Green book appreciation thread!

John Green is a Young Adult author who has written three books:
Looking for Alaska (2005),
An Abundance of Katherines (2006),
and Paper Towns (2008).

Fans:
01. How Cute Is She
02. troubled.discussions
03. eatyourgreens
04. EmptySmile

News About John And/Or His Books:
October 16, 2008: Paper Towns (2008) is released.
October 22, 2008: Paper Towns (2008) is #5 on the New York Times Bestseller Book List.
October 24, 2008: Paper Towns (2008) has been picked up by Mandate Pictures and Mr. Mudd (the companies that produced the movie Juno) for a possible film.

Quotes From the Books:

From Paper Towns:
"I'm a big believer in random capitilization. The rules of capitilization are so unfair to the words in the middle."

"It's a penis, in the same sense that Rhode Island is a state; it may have an illustrious history, but it sure isn't big."

"O God of Vehicular Justice, who dost thou mock me? Minivan, you albatross around my neck!"

Brody♥Bilson

Last edited by How Cute Is She; 10-25-2008 at 08:01 PM
How Cute Is She is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Elite Fan

Rach! Make a Fans list and add me please.
troubled.discussions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:55 PM
Master Fan

okay! I'll do that.
Brody♥Bilson
Old 10-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Master Fan

I like the book covers
Old 10-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Master Fan

Yeah I them. They're gorgeous!!
Brody♥Bilson
Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 PM
New Fan

its awesome
hostchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:18 PM
Master Fan

Can I be added? I flooooooove An Abundance of Katherines and Looking For Alaska and his vlogs with Hank. I just got Paper Towns - I can't wait to read it! And Let It Snow was great.

Last edited by EmptySmile; 10-21-2008 at 08:23 PM
EmptySmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:24 PM
Master Fan

Oh, add me to the fanlist. LOVE all of his books. Well, I'm mid-way through Paper Towns (I got the gritty blue cover, which rocks by the way) but it's amazing! He's a fantastic writer and really cool in person. I met him at a bookstore and got Alaska and Katherines both signed. I'm a fan of the vlogs too!

Looking for Alaska has got to be one of my favorite books of all time. Josh Schwartz is attached to write and direct the movie and he already pissed me off by killing Marissa on The O.C. If he ruins the movie version of Alaska all hell's gonna break loose.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Master Fan

I got happy Margo, which is cool - I wanted sad Margo though

Looking For Alaska is one of my favorite books too, I can't wait for the movie, I hope everything comes together soon...if JS ruins it, we'll go after him. At least John's writing the screenplay for Paper Towns so
Old 10-21-2008, 08:44 PM
Master Fan

I want John to write the screenplay for Alaska too! That would be incredible. But I'm glad he's doing Paper Towns! But I'm glad I have a partner in crime if JS does bad. You heard they changed the title to Famous Last Words at this point, right? That doesn't bother me, but if they change too much, I'm gonna go nuts.

I went to my local bookstore and all they had was Happy Margo, so I ordered online and wished for Sad Margo and it worked.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:51 PM
Master Fan

Yeah, I heard about the title change, I prefer Looking For Alaska but Famous Last Words is pretty relevant to it so I'm good with it. It'd be so awesome if John wrote the screenplay for LFA too.. And if there's ever An Abundance of Katherines movie he should write it too!

Damn, I should've wished harder.
Old 10-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Master Fan

John should just write all the screenplays for all the books that he writes. But seriously, JS worries me. Not only did he kill Marissa, but from what I've heard he didn't do a great job being faithful to Gossip Girls. I don't read the books or watch the show, but I've had friends who are fans of the books quit watching because he went a little too crazy with it. I know movies and TV are different beasts and I hope that makes a difference. And I don't mean faithful verbatim, but just faithful in tone. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist differed from the book a bit, but the tone and the characters were still there and I thought it was very good adaptation. Plus, LFA is even more suited to be made into a movie than Nick and Norah, at least in my eyes.

I don't know why my wish was granted, but I'm happy.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Master Fan

I read the Gossip Girl series long before their was a show and yes - it is totally different from the books. Which worrries me a little too. But hopefully since it's just one novel as opposed to an entire series... I liked the Nick&Norah adaptation too - speaking of which..I can't wait for John's book with David Levithan!
Old 10-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Master Fan

Woot, more fans! I just met John at his book signing and Hank and Katherine (yes the Katherine) & the Yeti (er, Sarah, John's wife). They are all so nice!!

John is writing a new book with the guy who did Nick & Norah's?

Also what is everyone's favorite quotes? I want a quote section but I need good quotes and I don't really know any (except for Paper Towns, which I just finished and I loved it!!)
Brody♥Bilson
Old 10-22-2008, 11:39 AM
Master Fan

You got to meet John, Hank, the Katherine and the yeti? I'm so jealous. I love me some Hank I was gonna go to his signing yesterday, but I had a Spanish midterm at the same time. Someday...hopefully...

Yeah...he mentioned first in this vlog >> YouTube - November 19th: HOORAY HOORAY HAPPY HOORAY!

There are so many awesome quotes...I don't any Paper Towns ones yet...I'll look some up in Alaska and Katherines.
Reply   Post New Thread