Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Passionate Fan

Good in Bed

Has anyone else besides me read this book?

My cousin recommended it to me so i picked it up. It is a quicky read, but really good and touches on some good issues of today, but has a lot of humor in it. FOr anyone that wants a light beach read or just sitting around during the summer this is a great book.
Old 07-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm almost certain I've read it. Who is the author?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:59 PM
Passionate Fan

Jessica something, i dont remember exactly, the last name starts wtih a W though.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:20 AM
Master Fan

The author is Jennifer Weiner...I have read the book and its good. She also has a second book out called "In Her Shoes." Its also very good. Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette just finished shooting a movie based on the Shoes book. Cant wait to see it!
Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 09:36 PM
Master Fan

I absolutely loved this book! Jennifer Weiner has another book coming out in September called Little Earthquakes. I was at a book party for her this spring where she read an excerpt and it was just as funny and fabulous as I had come to expect from her.

She signed my copy, which was fabulous too

She also has a blog that's pretty funny to read.

I didn't really find the book light and beach-read-y as some chick lit out there. It got really dark toward the end, even though you just knew that it had to turn out okay.
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:16 AM
New Fan

Hey.... Jenn?

If it's you, you'll know I love this book I also love Jennifer Weiner's other book, In Her Shoes though it doesn't quite measure up to GIB.

I just loved this book because it was so real. Cannie is this amazing, original character that was completely believable in everything she said and did. Awesome! It's one of my top 3 books ever, and I highly recommend it to everyone.

I agree that it's different to normal chick lit stuff... a cut above, even!
strawberrylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 12:15 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by strawberrylicious
Hey.... Jenn?

If it's you, you'll know I love this book
Yup, it's me! Good to see you over on this board!

I can't wait for Jen's third book to come out next month
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Obsessed Fan

Little EarthQuakes

i read these and enjoyed them so much...thanks for the recommendations. I happened to see she has a new one called Little Earthquakes. Anyone read it yet?

here is the inside flap

Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
In her first and second bestsellers, Good in Bed and In Her Shoes, Weiner came up with female characters so smart, lovable and mordantly funny that they reminded readers that Bridget Jones wasn't the first single woman to light up a bestseller list or the big screen—there were Sheila Levine, Mary and Rhoda, the Golden Girls. Now, just as the star-studded movie version of In Her Shoes is about to be released, Weiner delivers the interwoven tale of four new mothers who come to form a tight posse in contemporary Philadelphia. The heart of this third-person narrative is Becky, an overweight but thoroughly appealing chef at a chic bistro. Married to an adoring doctor and living in a cozy row house, the warm, nurturing Becky is the latest incarnation of Weiner's previous protagonists, as Weiner's fans will recognize as she rushes to help another woman who collapses into sudden, crushing labor pains after a prenatal yoga class ("Being in labor all by herself —no husband around, no friend to hold her hand—was about the worst thing she could imagine," Becky thinks. "Well, that and having her midriff appear on one of those 'Obesity: A National Epidemic' news reports"). The woman whom Becky helps is Ayinde, the gorgeous wife of an NBA superstar. Picturesquely if improbably, she, Becky and another expectant mom, perky blonde Kelly (who was also at the fateful yoga class and lent a helping hand) become fast friends. Eventually, Lia, a beautiful young actress who has left Hollywood for her hometown of Philadelphia in the wake of a tragedy, joins the group. For much of the story, Weiner, a wonderful natural writer and storyteller, renders her characters and their messy, sometimes wrenching lives in details that resonate as the real deal. In the end, alas, she slips in a soapy Hollywood ending. Still, this is a rich portrayal of new motherhood and a fun ride. Weiner's readers will root for her to trust ever more her ability to float between comedy and pathos, leaving the shallows for true and surprising depths.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
EJami powerful, tangible, wild & completely off the charts Choice, not chance, determined destiny. He, too, has been changed in his turn, changed utterly: & a terrible beauty was born. Love comes in many forms & faces, as there are many roads to truth.

Last edited by Dommie; 10-04-2004 at 11:18 AM
Dommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 11:28 PM
Obsessed Fan

I've read Good in Bed. Breakfast in Bed is also a good book. Has any read Breakfast in Bed?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:15 AM
Obsessed Fan

same author?

Breakfast in Bed??????
EJami powerful, tangible, wild & completely off the charts Choice, not chance, determined destiny. He, too, has been changed in his turn, changed utterly: & a terrible beauty was born. Love comes in many forms & faces, as there are many roads to truth.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:05 PM
Obsessed Fan

Breakfast In Bed by Sandra Brown

It's a really good book, I've read it more than once.

Last edited by MalloryKeaton; 10-04-2004 at 01:10 PM
MalloryKeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

loved good in bed! She actually did my friends forward for Virgin Territories-what an amazing writer she is Will have to keep an eye out for her new book!
stargazer123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Master Fan

Good in Bed is one of my favorite books. I picked it up on a whim while my husband was overseas and I completely fell in love with it. I enjoyed In Her Shoes as well, but my heart still belongs to Good in Bed. I'm going to get Little Earthquakes as soon as I can.
palegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Obsessed Fan

another excellent book

kudos to Jennifer. I couldn't put it down last night. I want to know everything about the mysterious Lia and her tragedy....what happened. I love the three main other characters and yet i keep waiting for the dog to appear. Each one of her books a dog has ended up with the main character....and in this book we have three to four choices....so who will find the dog?
Old 10-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Obsessed Fan

There was a dog...see

Lemon. But she wasn't so much a fixture as Jennifer has had in her other books..which is ok.

Lia (lisa) Frederick.... great build up..and happy ending, this is the name of the mysterious woman who has been watching Becky during her last month of pregnancy...she wasn't stalking her..but looking at someone who was going through the same things she had - a year ago....and then she becomes friends with all of the others, Kelly, Aylinde, Oliver, Ava and just as the books ends with all these goodbye's for now....i feel hopeful and at ease.
Reply   Post New Thread