Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 07:25 AM
Supreme Fan

January/February Book of the Month Nominations

Alright, it's that time again. Once again I've decided to combine two wintery months, January and February, because I want as many people as possible to join the discussion. Please take this time to nominate your favorite books for book of the month(s) and in a few days we'll have a vote.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Fan

The Dharma Bums by Jack Keruac
Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Absolute Fan

I haven't been around for a couple of months, so I'm not sure if this one has been done, but if it hasn't. I'd like to nominate For One More Day by Mitch Albom.

And again, if you all have already done it, just ignore me.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Supreme Fan

Nope, we haven't done that one. I'm going to leave this thread open for another couple of days, let people get back online after the holidays. Then I'll open up the voting.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Master Fan

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Old 01-05-2007, 01:40 PM
Supreme Fan

January/February Book of the Month Voting

Alright, the nominations are in and three books have been picked. Please cast your votes and in a few days we'll have our book for January and February. Your three choices are:

The Dharma Bums by Jack Keruac
For One More Day by Mitch Albom
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

And a little information about each of them from amazon.com to help make your decision.

The Dharma Bums
Quote:
Two ebullient young men are engaged in a passionate search for dharma, or truth. Their major adventure is the pursuit of the Zen way, which takes them climbing into the high Sierras to seek the lesson of solitude, a lesson that has a hard time surviving their forays into the pagan groves of San Francisco's Bohemia with its marathon wine-drinking bouts, poetry jam sessions, experiments in "yabyum," and similar nonascetic pastimes.

For One More Day
Quote:
This is the story of Charley, a child of divorce who is always forced to choose between his mother and his father. He grows into a man and starts a family of his own. But one fateful weekend, he leaves his mother to secretly be with his father - and she dies while he is gone. This haunts him for years. It unravels his own young family. It leads him to depression and drunkenness. One night, he decides to take his life. But somewhere between this world and the next, he encounters his mother again, in their hometown, and gets to spend one last day with her - the day he missed and always wished he'd had. He asks the questions many of us yearn to ask, the questions we never ask while our parents are alive. By the end of this magical day, Charley discovers how little he really knew about his mother, the secret of how her love saved their family, and how deeply he wants the second chance to save his own.
Outlander
Quote:
In Outlander, a 600-page time-travel romance, strong-willed and sensual Claire Randall leads a double life with a husband in one century, and a lover in another. Torn between fidelity and desire, she struggles to understand the pure intent of her heart. But don't let the number of pages and the Scottish dialect scare you. It's one of the fastest reads you'll have in your library.
While on her second honeymoon in the British Isles, Claire touches a boulder that hurls her back in time to the forbidden Castle Leoch with the MacKenzie clan. Not understanding the forces that brought her there, she becomes ensnared in life-threatening situations with a Scots warrior named James Fraser. But it isn't all spies and drudgery that she must endure. For amid her new surroundings and the terrors she faces, she is lured into love and passion like she's never known before.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:30 PM
Master Fan

For One More Day by Mitch Albom
Old 01-07-2007, 11:32 AM
Supreme Fan

I'm going to have to cast my vote for Outlander because it looks like a really interesting book.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Master Fan

I'm going to vote for Outlander
Old 01-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Outlander since it's the only one of the three that I have and I've made a New Year's Resolution to read more of the books I own
Old 01-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Elite Fan

Outlander for me!!