Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 11:20 PM
Extreme Fan

J.D. Salinger

I have to do a project in school about J.D. Salinger and would be very glad about any thoughts or comments.
Have fun!

Has anyone read this book?

What is your favourite book by J.D. Salinger? Which do you like best?

Which do you find weird?

How do you like his other books ( besides "The Catcher in the Rye" )?

What do you think his books mean to say? What is the message?

icon by NikitaWitter

Last edited by Xbel; 06-17-2006 at 01:02 AM
Xbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 09:10 PM
Master Fan

i havent but I read most of his other books
Old 08-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

This year I finally picked up The Catcher and the Rye and absolutely loved it! I didn't expect it to be the way it was, but I was pleasantly surprised. I can't even really explain why I liked it so much, it was just one of those books that I could really relate to.
Hang It Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Franny and Zooey is my favorite novel of his. But I did like The Cather in the Rye.

Any stories involving the Glass family are the ones that touch me the most.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Supreme Fan

The only book of his I've read was The Catcher in the Rye but it's been a while since I've read it. I need to read it again because I really enjoyed the first reading. Other than that, I've never read anything more of Salinger.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:38 AM
Dedicated Fan

The only book of his I've read is Catcher In The Rye which I picked up earlier in the year because it's one of *those* books that you should read.
I for one, loved it.
I think it's a great book for everyone as we can all relate to Holden because everyone's been through, or going through that transitional phase where you realize the world isn't perfect and neither are the people in it.
I think it captures that really well.

One of my friends in my English Literature class studied it at GCSE and I am so jealous!

I definitely plan on reading his other books

baby you're a wrecking ball, crashing into me...
thegirlinquestion_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 01:22 PM
Master Fan

I only read the Catcher In The Rye and I fell in love with it. It's very timeless and easy to relate to.

I haven't read it in a long time. I should pick it up again. I really have to start making a list of all the books I want read and start crossing the ones that I have. I have too much on my wishlist and too little time.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Fatima* (View Post)
I only read the Catcher In The Rye and I fell in love with it. It's very timeless and easy to relate to.

I haven't read it in a long time. I should pick it up again. I really have to start making a list of all the books I want read and start crossing the ones that I have. I have too much on my wishlist and too little time.
Yeah, I agree. I still haven't gotten to reread Catcher in the Rye again. With school on top of everything else, I just don't have any time to read things for fun.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:04 AM
Master Fan

I know what you mean. I have so much I have to read for school and I have to work, I can't find the time to read for fun.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Elite Fan

I love The Catcher in the Rye. I also have Franny and Zooey but i never finished it.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:56 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Fatima* (View Post)

I two have only read the Catcher In The Rye! I fell in love as well. I'd love to read more of JD's !
Livejournal
xscarletlullabyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I should reread Catcher too. I actually prefer Salinger's other books, but I enjoyed The Catcher in the Rye as well.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Elite Fan

I'm reading Catcher In The Rye for the first time today!
Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
New Fan

I loved Catcher in the Rye. I think it's one of those things you either really identify with, or you want to smack the angst off Holden Caulfield's whiny face.

Has anyone watched the movie Igby Goes Down? It's very, very similar to Catcher. Most people would call it a blatant rip off... but, I really like it. It's one of my favorite movies.

I've read Franny and Zooey, but it just didn't appeal to me. The first section was pretty good... but, I though the second (and longer) part was kind of dull. It makes me wonder what I'm missing when people proclaim their love for the book...
HumanGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Supreme Fan

I reread Catcher in the Rye finally, for a class. I loved it the second time around and was able to appreciate it as an adult in a way that I wasn't able to appreciate it the first time I read it when I was 16. I liked Holden, and I really think he's an excellent portrayal (though an exaggerated one) of how a lot of teenagers feel at that age, of no one being able to identify with them, of not knowing how they feel about themselves, and how they feel everyone is kind of out to get them. It's fascinating to read it from a different perspective and of course, I had to analyze it in class, so that was actually fun.
Reply   Post New Thread