Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2005, 04:13 AM
Loyal Fan

I Love Second-hand Bookshops.

I used to always get my books second hand, but I've been given books as presents recently, so I haven't been buying.
Anyway, a few weeks ago, I went into a second hand bookshop and found a textbook that we were supposed to buy for my TAFE course. At the new bookshops, it was $35 but it was only $6 at the second hand shop....I was so happy

Then today, I was wandering around the same shop and saw two textbooks that will be useful for me: One used to be $22 and was marked down to $3, one used to be $25 and was down to $5 and another one used to be $11 and was down to 60 cents... Needless to say, I bought them all.

Now I remember why I secondhand bookshops.
Does anyone buy their books secondhand?
Or do you prefer new?

Reading Is Awesome!
Michael: Why me?
Mia: Because you saw me when I was invisible.
Stars_And_Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I have a love/hate relationship with used bookstores. I love buying books used because they are cheaper, but because they cost less, I take more risks with buying books by untried authors (especially if the books are on the quarter shelf). I also buy faster than I read, so my TBR is more like a mountain than a pile. Lately, I've been going to the used bookstore less, only buying books by authors I've read before or ones I really want to try, and I've been holding off on buying most things I can get at the library (I have a handheld computer with a library list on it so I can check and see if it is available from the library- and I write really interesting books I see at the UBS down so I can check the library's web site when I get home).
Old 03-31-2005, 03:52 PM
Obsessed Fan

I actually was just wondering the other day whether most people prefered used or new books. Personally, I see advantages and disadvantages to both. It's a lot easier to find recent books when they're new for obvious reasons, not to mention I just like how new books feel for some reason. I guess they just seem cleaner and more intact. I don't like to buy used books that have stains b/c I'd just keep wondering what it was or books that are falling apart b/c it bothers me when I'm reading.

But I love used bookstores because the books are so cheap and it's usually the only way you're going to find something that's out-of-print. New books are so expensive these days. Sometimes I look at old books from the 70's and 80's and they say something like $1.50 on the spine, and I'm just like, if this same book came out today it would be at least $7. It's crazy because even inflation doesn't account for such an increase. But that can be a bad thing because, like Soz, sometimes I just go to HPB's clearance section and buy a dozen books I really don't have room for.

That's another thing I was wondering regarding second hand bookstores: do you prefer large commercial chains like Half-Price Books or small, family-type businesses?

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:50 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

The great thing about the used bookstore where I usually shop is that the owner won't accept anything that is stained or musty-smelling.

I have never even seen a Half Price Books. They don't have them in my location, so I shop at family owned stores. The closest I have to HPB near me are some Book Werehouse outlet stores; they sell brand new paperbacks for $3.99
Old 03-31-2005, 08:12 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I loved used books stores...

Though I do love new book stores because of the smell, I love used book stores. You can plow through stacks and stacks of books. Most of the time the store is not so pristine and sterile that you are afraid to skim through a book.

I like the clutter of many used book stores
Old 03-31-2005, 08:16 PM
Master Fan

ooh Half Price books are great! One of my friends use to own a used bookstore and i went there all the time.

I love used bookstores I love looking for out of print books or more rare books. I found 70% of my Victoria Holt collection at used bookstores.

I also find the people who own used book stores to be really interesting for the most part. They have a good understanding of books and normally can tell you exactly where things are. Or at least the bookstore I have been to they can.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:37 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I've also found the owners of used bookstores to be very helpful and knowledgable. I've even become friends with one of the people who works at the store up the road from me. The other used (and new) bookstore I go to occasionally has store cats, which is one of the coolest things about family owned stores. The owner there also has authors in for signings sometimes and it's such a casual atmosphere that it's like you're just hanging out for the evening with Lois McMaster Bujold or Anne Bishop.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:58 AM
Dedicated Fan

I believe that there's only one used book store in my hometown which surprises me because the populatoin is about 100,000. I feel like the books at this location are overpriced--most are five or six dollars for a used paperback. I understand that they have to make a profit to keep the payments up on the store location but I think that is ridicules to pay that when a new copy is one for two dollars more.

Last edited by igloo155; 04-01-2005 at 07:07 PM
igloo155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soz
I've also found the owners of used bookstores to be very helpful and knowledgable. I've even become friends with one of the people who works at the store up the road from me. The other used (and new) bookstore I go to occasionally has store cats, which is one of the coolest things about family owned stores. The owner there also has authors in for signings sometimes and it's such a casual atmosphere that it's like you're just hanging out for the evening with Lois McMaster Bujold or Anne Bishop.
OMG that sounds like a great shop to be in!! How cool that she gets authors and has cats!!

Old 04-01-2005, 03:07 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

igloo155, I've been to a store like that too and the books were in horrible condition besides.

Kim, it's a nice store, but I don't shop there too often unless I can't find something elsewhere (or if I want a new SF or fantasy book) because the prices are kind of high. The cats are both rescues that have FIV or other cat diseases so the owner couldn't take them home and risk infecting her other cats. She even named one of the store cats after a book character.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Master Fan

aww that is so great Soz

Well I finally found a second hand store I didn't like. I was walking by this place and it was a MESS books everywhere. Even the guys car in front of the store was stuffed with books from top to bottom and in no order so they were being destroyed. I wouldn't want to live in the apartments above that store it is a fire trap.

Old 04-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Moderator Support Team

I only buy new books.
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 05:04 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soz
I've also found the owners of used bookstores to be very helpful and knowledgable.
That's true for all used bookstores I ever visited.

The one closest to me I know I can't visit unless I have quite a bit of time on my hands because I know I will end up chatting away quite a bit with the owner.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soz
I have never even seen a Half Price Books. They don't have them in my location, so I shop at family owned stores. The closest I have to HPB near me are some Book Werehouse outlet stores; they sell brand new paperbacks for $3.99
No HPB! I would hate that. I have about 3 near where I live. I can shop there for hours. The only thing I don't like about it is, as everyone is saying, owners of used book shops are very generally very helpful in finding books...at Half-Price, they hire some people who don't know what they're doing. This one new guy was working when I was there once and he didn't know that books were shelved alphabetically by authors' last names. They get really good benefits there though -- additional 50% off all books and you can check something out for up to a month. Makes me want to work there but I have my heart set on Borders.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Master Fan

I've never heard of Half Price Books...I'll have to check that out
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread