Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2003, 10:43 PM
Loyal Fan

His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman

These are amazing books! My friend gave me the first one for my birthday, and I've read it and the sequal already. Pullman is a master of storytelling, and I love the idea of everyone having a familiar, if you know what I mean.

His Dark Materials include: The Golden Compas, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass. If you haven't read these books, I really recommened that you do. They are truly amazing.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:49 AM
Passionate Fan

I love these books too. I've only read them once though. Did you know they are planning on making a movie out of these books?

Sawyer/Sun | Jack/Sun | Fearless Soul | Seeker |
Sushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2003, 11:22 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn_Evenstar:
<STRONG>I love these books too. I've only read them once though. Did you know they are planning on making a movie out of these books?</STRONG>
I have heard that. Wow, that'll be amazing! I better start reading the last one now. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2003, 03:46 AM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

If you haven't read The Amber Spyglass yet then you will love it. It's the saddest book I ever read I think. I cried so much.

I'm going to start Nothern Lights (Golden Compass) again soon. They are my favourite books.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 01:42 AM
Passionate Fan

Yes I've only read them once myself. I think I'll go back and reread them very soon!

Old 10-23-2003, 02:53 AM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

I can't wait to read them again. It's all a blur from last time, because I couldn't put the books down the whole way through.
Old 10-23-2003, 01:33 PM
Master Fan

I love the His Dark Material Trilogy. I read it 3 or 4 years ago while at school. My english teacher encouraged me to read them and I love them. I own a signed copy of Northern Lights but I've not got any of the others yet. I've read them all though.

Philip Pullman has a new book coming out related to HDM called Lyra's Oxford (I think). I could have the title wrong but it should be out soon.

A movie would be so cool, I just hope they don't ruin it by hiring actors that can't act as seen in Harry Potter. I didn't like the Harry Potter books but the only person who can act in it is Alan Rickman and some of the other older actors.
silvercrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2003, 03:16 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by silvercrystal:
<STRONG>A movie would be so cool, I just hope they don't ruin it by hiring actors that can't act as seen in Harry Potter. I didn't like the Harry Potter books but the only person who can act in it is Alan Rickman and some of the other older actors.</STRONG>
I agree that the HP movies weren't very good. I like the books, they're enjoyable, but they're not my favorite series. I also hope that HDM will be casted well. I can't wait to see the witches fly! That'll be pretty amazing.
Old 10-24-2003, 02:27 AM
Passionate Fan

Found some news as to who will be apparently directing HDM.Ridley Scott. I've only seen two of his movies - G.I Jane and Gladiator. But I liked them both! He's also worked with two people who I think would make great Lord Asriels. Russel Crowe and Viggo Mortensen. My favourite would be Colin Firth if he's in Mr Darcy Mode.

I'm just happy they are taking their time on pre production with HDM. With Harry Potter... I felt they really rushed it. It feels as though it's more of a money/merchandise thing than actual caring about story of HP. So I hope whoever gets to make HDM loves the books as much as the fans do.

Have'nt seen Lyra's Oxford around yet. Do you know when it's supposed to be out?

hey are spoilers allowed in this thread for all books? I would'nt want to ruin anything but it would be great to have a book discussion with some people.

[ 10-24-2003: Message edited Eowyn_Evenstar ]

Old 10-25-2003, 02:40 AM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

I'm for spoilers but I don't know about anyone else.

I think they are making them into stage productions.
http://www.albemarle-london.com/rnt-...materials.html

They are! I'm going to see it when I get to London in a couple of weeks.
Old 10-25-2003, 05:42 AM
Elite Fan

Hey I just checked on imdb.com for Phillip Pullman to see if it listed in his writing credits the movie..have a look for yourself it mention in his bio HDM but it says clocktower is being optioned now...anyway here's the link.

Phillip Pullman
-Pammie

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
AtomicEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2003, 08:50 PM
Loyal Fan

Viggo Mortessen as Lord Asriel?!?!?! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] OMG that would be amazing. They better find someone good (and breathtakingly beautiful) to play Ms. Coulter! I am really excited to see how they will portray and make the daemons talk. Hmm... [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Pullman's book, Lyra's Oxford, is out now, I think, or almost out. I have to finish The Amber Spyglass first though.

I just love these books with a passion. [img]smilies/in_love.gif[/img]

[ 10-25-2003: Message edited ~*Johanna*~ ]
Old 10-26-2003, 01:10 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ~*Johanna*~:
Viggo Mortessen as Lord Asriel?!?!?! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] OMG that would be amazing. They better find someone good (and breathtakingly beautiful) to play Ms. Coulter! I am really excited to see how they will portray and make the daemons talk. Hmm... [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Well in my dreams!!! he does'nt have dark eyes but I know he can give extremely dark looks. Ms. Coulter! I think Nicole Kidman would work! I can totally imagine her walking around with her daemon monkey. I've read that's Nicole Kidman is also Philip Pullman's top choice so maybe he'll have a say in casting.

Anyway here's a pic of Viggo and Nicole together

There are so many things I can't wait to see. Like Iorek the armoured bear...the ending of Northern Lights!!!! (how amazing will that be?)

Lyra's Oxford is out on the 28th October! not long to go.

[ 10-26-2003: Message edited Eowyn_Evenstar ]

Old 10-26-2003, 01:54 AM
Ben
Obsessed Fan

The new book is finally out, I can't believe it. That's such good news.
Old 10-26-2003, 01:54 PM
Master Fan

I'm going to get the new book in two weeks time when I get paid.

Viggo would be brilliant as Lord Asriel, I can totally see him in it. But for the rest of the cast is should be smaller less known actors I think.

*Ben* - Congrats on the modship [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
silvercrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread