Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Master Fan

Hideaway by Koontz is the Oct Book of the Month :D

Hello you guys! Soz and I want to first apologize about not getting a Sept. list to you Aug was crazy for both of us! So we are going to keep Harry Potter up for Sept. too.

Soz and I talked it over and we came up with a list of books for you guys to choose from. All scary in their own way. We figured this was best since October is the month for scares

Please vote for only one

Voting Will end Monday Sept 12th

1. Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser

Quote:
Originally Posted by from publisher
Fast food has hastened the malling of our landscape, widened the chasm between rich and poor, fueled an epidemic of obesity, and propelled American cultural imperialism abroad. That's a lengthy list of charges, but Eric Scholsser makes them stick with an artful mix of first-rate reportage, wry wit, and careful reasoning. Schlosser's myth-shattering survey stretches from California's subdivisions, where the business was born, to the industrial corridor along the New Jersey Turnpike, where many of fast food's flavors are concocted. Along the way, he unearths a trove of fascinating, unsettling truths -- from the unholy alliance between fast food and Hollywood to the seismic changes the industry has wrought in food production, popular culture, and even real estate.
2. Hideaway by Dean Koontz

Quote:
He was clinically dead after the accident—but was miraculously revived. Now Hatch Harrison and his wife approach each day with a new appreciation for life.

But something has come back with Hatch from the other side. A terrible presence that links his mind to a psychotic's, so that a force of murderous rage courses through him.
3. Abarat by Clive Barker

Quote:
It Begins in the Most boring place in the world: Chickentown, U.S.A. There lives Candy Quackenbush, her heart bursting for some clue as to what her future might hold.
When the answer comes, it's not one she expects. Out of nowhere comes a wave, and Candy, led by a man called John Mischief (whose brothers live on the horns on his head), leaps into the surging waters and is carried away.

Where? To the Abarat: a vast archipelago where every island is a different hour of the day, from The Great Head that sits in the mysterious twilight waters of Eight in the Evening, to the sunlit wonders of Three in the Afternoon, where dragons roam, to the dark terrors of Gorgossium, the island of Midnight, ruled over by the Prince of Midnight himself, Christopher Carrion.

As Candy journeys from one amazing place to another, making fast friends and encountering treacherous foes -- mechanical bugs and giant moths, miraculous cats and men made of mud, a murderous wizard and his terrified slave -- she begins to realize something. She has been here before.

Candy has a place in this extraordinary world: she is here to help save the Abarat from the dark forces that are stirring at its heart. Forces older than Time itself, and more evil than anything Candy has ever encountered.

She's a strange heroine, she knows. But this is a strange world.

And in the Abarat, all things are possible.
4. How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks

Quote:
Roman Draganesti is charming, handsome, rich ... he's also a vampire. But this vampire just lost one of his fangs sinking his teeth into something he shouldn't have. Now he has one night to find a dentist before his natural healing abilities close the wound, leaving him a lop-sided eater for all eternity.
Things aren't going well for Shanna Whelan, either. After witnessing a gruesome murder, she's next on the mob's hit list. And her career as a dentist appears to be on a downward spiral because she's afraid of blood. When Roman rescues her from an assassination attempt, she wonders if she's found the one man who can keep her alive. Though the attraction between them is immediate and hot, can Shanna conquer her fear of blood to fix Roman's fang? And if she does, what will prevent Roman from using his fangs on her ... ?

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 09-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Master Fan

Hideaway - Dean Koontz
Old 09-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Master Fan

I adored Fast Food Nation. That gets my vote.
that a broken heart is blind
Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
Passionate Fan

Fast Food Nation
Old 09-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Master Fan

where is everyone?? I might keep this thread open longer if no one else comes around.

Fast Food Nation is what gets my vote! I've been wanting to read that for a while

Old 09-09-2005, 12:24 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

My vote goes to Abarat, obviously- being the Clive Barker fan that I am.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:19 PM
Obsessed Fan

Abarat! I adore that book.

Soz, do you know when the 3rd book is supposed to come out?

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 09-09-2005, 06:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Fast Food Nation
Old 09-10-2005, 06:50 AM
Passionate Fan

How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire by Kerrelyn Sparks...

The Vampire's name sounds, at least partly, based on Roman Polanski- or is that just me
Old 09-10-2005, 08:17 AM
Master Fan

I haven't read any of them, but Hideaway sounds the most interesting to me I might have to check that out.
Old 09-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Master Fan

Fast Food Nation 4
Hideaway 2
Abarat 2
How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire 1

Keep the voting going

Old 09-12-2005, 07:19 AM
Master Fan

I'm going to keep this up for a little bit longer. Please people come in and vote

Old 09-14-2005, 07:02 AM
Total Fan

Hideaway
Old 09-14-2005, 07:09 AM
Addicted Fan

I normally dont Vote But How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire. Sounds Really good I might read it anyways.

Angie
Buffy/Angel, Pacey/Joey, Max/Liz, Brian/Justin, Charlie/Claire, Nancy/Hartigan, Wolverine/Rogue, Erik/Christine, Jack/Elizabeth, Mason/George, Mal/Kaylee Chiana/John, Peter/Claire, Daniel/Betty, Doctor/Rose, Bill/Sookie, Riddick/Jack, House/Cameron, Belle/Rumpelstiltskin
Old 09-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Master Fan

Hideaway
Closed Thread   Post New Thread