Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 10:15 PM
Master Fan

I usually don't have a problem getting rid of my books even the ones I like. The only ones I keep are those that I can use for reference. I am a bookcrosser so I trade books with people all over the world.

Icon by Periwinkles
froggiepopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Passionate Fan

I give away books all the time. Some are even brand new and barely read. I just don't have the space to keep every book I buy and I only re-read around 2% of the books I own. Most of my giveaways end up with charities, friends, relatives

That said, I do still keep a rather large permanent collection nearby. I will hang onto a book for the following reasons:
-sentimental reason
-paid a lot for it
-part of a series I'm collecting
-plan to re-read or loan
-out of print/hard to find now
-favourite author

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggiepopple
I am a bookcrosser so I trade books with people all over the world.
cool! I'm a bookcrosser too! Even when I donate to charities, I try to use a bookcrossing label or BCID.
thescoobygang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:32 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescoobygang
cool! I'm a bookcrosser too! Even when I donate to charities, I try to use a bookcrossing label or BCID.
How long have you been a bookcrosser for? On July 31st it will be 3 years for me. I don't do a lot of wild releasing, but I do trade and send RABCKS out a lot.

Icon by Periwinkles
froggiepopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:39 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars_And_Sunsets
Last night my mother asked me to PLEASE clean out my book shelf that I keep in the guest room (because I have already got one in my room ) because it was over loaded with books so that I even had piles sitting on the floor against the wall.

I'm the first to admit that many of those books I've read once and probably won't read again, but I just like the feeling of having them there in case I ever want to read them.

Anyway, I've just spent two hours cleaning out the book case and have collected a huge box of books to donate to the local Salvation Army store. I KNOW that other people should be able to enkoy the books I probably won't read again, but it's still sad that I won't have them there any more.

Does anyone else feel like this, or am I just being an idiot?

I have to agree- it is sad to give away books, even if you know you'll probably never read them again.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:44 PM
Dedicated Fan

I hate getting rid of books. My dad wanted to throw away books I read when I was little but I wouldn't read them. I still occasionally read them. It's fun to look back on the stuff I read.

Raoul Duke: Look... in the sky. Some kind of electric snake coming straight for us.
Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.
Raoul Duke: No, I want to study its habits.
Jd15mK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I'm taking a box of 17 books to Goodwill tonight. I started going through that box of hand-me-down books I mentioned and these are the ones I didn't want so far and couldn't sell online.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:13 PM
Elite Fan

I have several bags of books that I need to donate to charity or to take to the used book store soon.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggiepopple
How long have you been a bookcrosser for? On July 31st it will be 3 years for me. I don't do a lot of wild releasing, but I do trade and send RABCKS out a lot.
I'm a bookcrosser too and I was going to come and suggest that I never feel bad about giving away books now because I know that they are going to good homes....and I can "check up" on them whenever I want
Old 04-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Dedicated Fan

I thought this was kind of interesting. I was listening to a conversation that this one guy in my University English class was having before the class started and he was talking about how he is a bookcrosser. I almost started laughing because no one knew what it was. He was telling them how he leaves books all over campus for people to pick up. I think the people he was telling about this think he is crazy now for doing it.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:38 AM
Master Fan

I love books thats why I kept all my books I wasnt or havent read yet in a couple of boxes, I just didnt want to get rid of them. I don't know why...
Old 04-10-2005, 09:53 AM
Elite Fan

I had never heard of bookcrossing before--very nice idea.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:52 AM
Master Fan

I usually don't get rid of old books; however, when my mom started teaching several years ago, I donated books to her 4th grade class library. If I know they're getting put to good use, it's not that big of a deal.

**Actress^Animal Lover^Flutist^Writer**
amusic20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:33 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Is bookcrosser still active? Sounds like an interesting site.

I normally send my books to charity aka goodwill.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Master Fan

I donate books also but mostly I sell my books- to used book stores, especially when I worked at one, or at the flea market. I keep books that are favorites or part of an ongoing series or something like that but I tend to be okay parting with them.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 PM
Dedicated Fan

Since i don't read anymore, i gave away all my books to my cousin except Harry Potter lol