Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Obsessed Fan

The first book you ever read...

I don't know how many people would actually remember this, but How old were you when you first learned to read, and what was the first book you read by yourself?

I couldn't really read full books by myself until I was 6. Which is kind of late, but my first language was only a dialect, and I didn't start learning English until I was 3. Anyway, I fell in love with reading and that year, I read 466 books. I remember because my first grade teacher made us keep track.

I think the first book I read was Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss. If not, it was definitely one of the first books I read. At the time, I loved it. Now, I think it's one of the worst Dr. Seuss books out there. All that incessant rhyming is just too much for me. I prefer The Lorax or Hunches in Bunches.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

The first book I remember reading by myself was the Old Mother Hubbard Little Golden Book. My mom read it to me a lot and I probably memorized it, but I remember sitting down and reading the book to myself many times. I can't remember exactly how old I was, but I know I was at least three because we had moved into our house by then and it was before I was five because my dad left then.

Last edited by Soz; 09-15-2004 at 06:16 AM
Soz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:59 AM
Total Fan

Odds are, it was a Dr. Seuss book. I remember having copies of both Green Eggs and Ham and The Cat in the Hat. We also had some other children's books (I say we because I have an older brother for whom the books were probably originally bought) containing folklore type stories. A few years ago I passed them all on to my niece, including the book that had been my mother's when she was a child.
dukesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:40 AM
Loyal Fan

I learnt to read when I was 3 and my first book was called Lost in the Supermarket i even remember that it was about a girl called Sarah.

Its funny my mum taught my brother and i to read quite young which i think really helped us when we got to school but nowadays i know that most schools (in australia at least) tell you not to teach your kids to read before they start school.

Well, isn't it comforting to know that being miserable is still better than being an idiot? - Clare Fisher
imajica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

I learned how to read when i was 3, and my first book was a dr seuss book i think.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:37 PM
Part-Time Fan

Ok, I lived in Switzerland until I was 7 and then I spoke German. I moved to Canada and learned english there, and I remember that my first english chapter book (In Grade 2, Age 8) was "The Kids in Miss Colmans Class" #5. I dont remember the exact title, but it was something with "Ian".
relaxi_cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 04:25 AM
Obsessed Fan

The first book I remember reading was Toad and Frog Are Friends. I also remember reading The Night Before Christmas and the Mother Goose Rhyme Book. Those are the first few books I remember reading, then I started reading Ramona Age 8. I then moved on to Judy Blume books with the Fudge Series and Nancy Drew and The Hardy Boys.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Addicted Fan

I don't remember learning to read. I do remember that I could already read when I was 5, and they didn't start teaching us reading in school until I was 6, so first grade was REALLY boring.

I have no idea what the first book I read was. I think the first one that was a book-book, all text and no pictures, was Squanto: Friend of the Pilgrims, when I was 5. I remember trying to sound out the word "Plymouth" and pronouncing it "ply-mouth."
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Master Fan

I learnt how to read at the age of 5. I don't really remember what was the name of that book we used to learnt to read with at school, but I do remember that my first real book (not a school book and not an illustrated book of tales) was Le Petit Nicolas by Sempe. It was about the adventures of a little boy, Nicolas who was about 6, and even now, I still think it's the funniest book ever made for children (and adults).
Old 09-17-2004, 07:19 PM
Dedicated Fan

the first book I ever read?
eh...The only thing I remember was the schoolbook in swedish?
Old 09-19-2004, 05:16 AM
Dedicated Fan

The first book I ever remember reading, maybe not the first one I ever read, was "the black stallion" by walter farley. I've still got all the books in the series, the same ones i grew up with and I plan on handing them down to my kids, if i ever have any.
WarriorAngelGabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 03:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

I don't remember the title nor who wrote it. But it was an interective where there were mouses and a big house...and each page was one mouse's story and games...something like that.

Don't be mean to posers - they are just looking for theirselves

MMS #26 ** ILY #29 ** WYMM #28 ** Vicious Trollop #16
**Maddy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:19 PM
Addicted Fan

I started reading books when I was three years old. But the first book I think that I read was "Mother Goose Rhyme Book". It was a book that my grandmother gave me to read.
AdriaMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:53 AM
Loyal Fan

i learned how to read when i was 5 and the first book i learned how to read was little miss shy, which were part of the little miss/mister series. the book i absolutely loved reading when i was little was called "Tales from the land under my table". I think everyone should read that book to their little ones.
Old 10-12-2004, 05:13 AM
Dedicated Fan

My first book that I read was "The Foot Book" by Dr. Seuss. I was about 5 or 6, and at the kitchen table with my dad. I was so proud of myself.

~*~
Spike: Death is on your heels, baby. And sooner or later, it's gonna catch you. And part of you wants it. Not only to stop the fear and uncertainty, but because you're just a little bit in love with it.
Calmly Chaotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread