Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2021, 07:37 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
I used very limited medical terminology in my ER longfic. I really only had one chapter where the character has a medical issue because I don’t have a background in it, and I wanted to keep her issue at something that I could Google and understand comfortably. Most of us don’t have medical knowledge/experience and keep the fics focused on relationships rather than medicine.
I'd be the same way. I always tried to avoid things that weren't common knowledge when I did write fic. And people would prob get bored if a story was filled with medical stuff.

Quote:
I personally have two genfics in my profile and three are about ships. One of my genfics you could describe as “slice of life” and then the other is about a mother-daughter relationship but is pretty emotional.
I feel like I usually like reading fics that focus on ships or even writing ship focused ones.
The mother-daughter one sounds sweet. That gets ignored sometimes.
Old 09-18-2021, 08:41 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
I'd be the same way. I always tried to avoid things that weren't common knowledge when I did write fic. And people would prob get bored if a story was filled with medical stuff.

I feel like I usually like reading fics that focus on ships or even writing ship focused ones.
The mother-daughter one sounds sweet. That gets ignored sometimes.
The mom and daughter fic is a bit on the angst side, but as the story goes on, they are able to share some nice moments in between the struggles.

If you’ve never seen ER, all you need to know to read it is that Janet is an alcoholic and she’s divorced, but in her work life, she runs her department and does have conflicts with the ER throughout the show. It’s also stated in canon that she has kids but they’re mentioned one time (someone asks her if her kids are happy), but we don’t learn who they are in detail as far as how they feel or what their names and ages are. So I basically made her daughter my OC.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/30...pters/76330286
Old 09-19-2021, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

I watched ER long ago but I don't remember Janet.

I'll have to look her up.

Oh, I remember her face but she only did 26 episodes so no wonder I don't remember her.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
I watched ER long ago but I don't remember Janet.

I'll have to look her up.

Oh, I remember her face but she only did 26 episodes so no wonder I don't remember her.
No worries! I like to use fanfic for my favorite ships as much as anyone, but I also find myself drawn to characters and storylines that didn’t get a lot of development in canon but had potential. Janet was one of those characters for me.

If you’re in the US, ER is on Hulu and Prime Video! I just finished my rewatch last month.
Old 09-19-2021, 05:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I don't remember Janet. I do remember Weaver

Quote:
I also find myself drawn to characters and storylines that didn’t get a lot of development in canon

I like fixing what writers destroyed or under developed. Which is why the two couples I did read fics for were UC couples.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I don't remember Janet. I do remember Weaver

I like fixing what writers destroyed or under developed. Which is why the two couples I did read fics for were UC couples.
Like Steph said below, she was only in 26 episodes so that’s probably part why you may not remember her. She was an OB so she was only there if there was a pregnancy storyline of some sort.

Weaver is one of those characters you love or you loathe. I like Kerry now but a lot of fans still don’t.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Poor actress. She was only reading her script. A lot of people forget actor does not equal character when they don't like a character
Old 09-21-2021, 08:39 PM
Fan Forum Star

I remember the short bald guy pissing me off a lot and then he lost his arm in that helicopter blade!

Quote:
but I also find myself drawn to characters and storylines that didn’t get a lot of development in canon but had potential.
Oh yea.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:07 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I remember the short bald guy pissing me off a lot and then he lost his arm in that helicopter blade!

Oh yea.
And then a season later, a helicopter fell on him and killed him.

For me, that was the moment ER got ridiculous. It went from a really great show to almost slapstick at times in the later seasons.

Part of the fun I had with my fic was really getting to flesh out my character and make her my own, even though she wasn’t my own, if that makes sense. It was just a great exercise to imagine her life and worldbuild with OCs like her daughter and her friends.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:58 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Man, helicopters were not his friend.

Quote:
Quote:
For me, that was the moment ER got ridiculous. It went from a really great show to almost slapstick at times in the later seasons.
That's when producers should realize it's time to end it. When you're clearly out of storylines.

Quote:
Part of the fun I had with my fic was really getting to flesh out my character and make her my own, even though she wasn’t my own, if that makes sense. It was just a great exercise to imagine her life and worldbuild with OCs like her daughter and her friends.
I find a lot of times with fanfic, I like what's put in the fanfic much better than what the show gave.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowCanIHelp (View Post)

I forgot that part.

Yea, I agree. That was silly. I didn't 't watch to the end.

I remember Dr. Green said the f-word when he as dying from cancer.

The one time the FCC allowed the f-word.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:09 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I forgot that part.

Yea, I agree. That was silly. I didn't 't watch to the end.

I remember Dr. Green said the f-word when he as dying from cancer.

The one time the FCC allowed the f-word.
I finished the series in August on Hulu, just to say I watched the whole thing once, but I wouldn’t watch it all again. I quit sometime after Mark’s death during the original run. I mostly hung on knowing the original cast makes appearances in S15. Next time, my plan is to watch the majority of the Mark seasons (S1-S8) and be more selective after that. The series also probably could’ve ended in S11 when Carter leaves, IMO.

Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy my fics! I’m hoping to publish my next ER fic soon; it’ll be a collection of oneshots about my rarepair. (No fics on them because they were only featured in the last season.) I have an idea for an SVU missing scene too but I just started a new school quarter this week so updates will be more sporadic now.
Old 09-23-2021, 07:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I forgot that Mark and Carter were around for that long. I thought they left in, like, s3-s6.
Old 09-23-2021, 08:51 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
I forgot that Mark and Carter were around for that long. I thought they left in, like, s3-s6.
A few cast members did leave in that era, though! Susan left in S3 (although she comes back in S8 and is gone by S12), Doug leaves in S5, and Carol goes in S6 to reunite with Doug.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:49 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Ah, Susan! Yes, now I remember her.

Doug left quick.