Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 03:04 PM
Master Fan

Eats, Shoots & Leaves

I'm reading this for extra credit for English and I've found it pretty interesting and funny. I love sarcasm and wittiness and Lynne Truss does it so well.

Has anybody else read this and/or is a grammar nazi?
Old 07-15-2004, 06:17 AM
Loyal Fan

This book has had so many great reviews and I've almost bought it while I was out but for some reason I haven't gone through with the purchase yet. I am glad to hear that you like it though - I may go ahead and buy it this time. I know I have debated long enough!
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:59 AM
Obsessed Fan

I'd really like to take a look at this book. I know my library has just bought it in so I'll try and get hold of it. It must have been well received to make book of the year.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:33 AM
Obsessed Fan

My English teacher mentioned this book several months ago, and I've been meaning to check it out because I love grammar. I kept forgetting though; thanks for the reminder. (My sister actually checked it out of her bookstore once but returned it before I even got to look at it.)

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 12:21 PM
Master Fan

It is pretty entertaining, for a book about grammar. It's very sarcastic and in a way dramatic, and she gives all these examples of messed up grammar and some of them are pretty funny, or her reaction to them is funny.

Then there are those you don't understand and go read about it and you learn a little something about grammar.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:20 AM
Master Fan

My dad gave this to me for an early birthday present. Cuz I'm at a camp from July 4 to July 31 and my birthday's the 19th.

The joke on the back of the book was funny.

I didn't bring it with me cuz I need to do reading on Genome by Matt Ridley for school.

Gaby
I made my icon.
BepperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:35 PM
Master Fan

Are you a grammar-nazi? If I got a book about grammar (even if it was as funny as Eats, Shoots & Leaves) for my birthday, I would have scowled, lol.

Today I kept making corrections to my friend's spelling when she was on AIM. Ah... it's affecting me!
Old 07-18-2004, 11:56 AM
Master Fan

Yes, I suppose I am.

Gaby
I made my icon.
BepperGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:46 AM
Addicted Fan

New Yorker Magazine totally panned it. They found a ton of grammatical mistakes just in the dedication.
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by In Fair Verona
Are you a grammar-nazi? If I got a book about grammar (even if it was as funny as Eats, Shoots & Leaves) for my birthday, I would have scowled, lol.
My sister got me 2 grammar books for Christmas last year. But she gave me a lot of other stuff too.

That's interesting about all the grammar mistakes in the book. Now I'll have to read it and see if I can find them. (Yes, this is my idea of fun. I'm strange; I know.) Funny that my English teacher didn't mention it when she told us about the book though. She's completely insane about grammar. Although sometimes I catch even her making mistakes when she's lecturing to us.

Old 07-24-2004, 08:24 AM
Master Fan

I didn't know the author actually made mistakes, I just know that she puts examples of them in there. Like the movie "Two Weeks Notice", apparently it should be "Two Weeks' Notice" and stuff like that.

And it shows a lot of sentences where commas placed (or not there at all) in different places can completely alter the meaning and uses the same passage from the Catholic and Protestant bibles.
Old 08-19-2004, 12:28 AM
Part-Time Fan

I just bought this book. This is a British book, that did so well it was released in North America. According to the publishers note in the beginning of the book, despite sharing a common language (English), the British and American have different grammatical rules. This may explain some complaints about grammatical errors.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Part-Time Fan

I finished. I thought it was darn funny and informative. I believe I actually learned some things about grammar. (Imagine that!)
Old 10-12-2004, 04:13 PM
Elite Fan

Ahhh I loved this book! I'm totally a grammar nazi! My mum got it for her birthday and I read it before she did - I read most of the first chapter out to her because it made me laugh so much, she made me go and read it somewhere else!
Old 10-15-2004, 04:02 PM
Obsessed Fan

I'm in the middle of reading this book, finally. I like it a lot, it reads like a novel. I'm just a little disappointed that it's only about punctuation though.

Reply   Post New Thread