Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2004, 04:08 PM
Master Fan

I can't read a book (for the first time) after I've seen the movie but I don't mind watching the movie after reading the book to see what's different and how it's played out.

But no, I don't usually go and read a book just because I want to see the movie.
The Lord is my shepherd.
Chiqa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Fan

I almost always have to. I don't know why. But somehow, the movie always seems better to me if I've already read the book.
I've come to your rescue and you can't rescue me.
*Rach* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:38 PM
New Fan

Personally I prefer to read the book first, but that's not a hard-and-fast rule. Sometimes the books sucks and the movie's good, or vice-versa, in which case I skip the sucky part...but if both are good, I like to read the book first, just so I get the whole story. Sometimes with books-turned-movies, they leave stuff out & it's confusing, but if I've read the book then I get it...ya know?
Old 06-24-2004, 03:08 AM
Extreme Fan

I think I'd rather watch the movie first. After reading A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks, I saw the film and kept annoyingling picking out the differences. I did the opposite with Where the Heart is by Bille Lettes, and didn't mind it that way. So now I'm not reading Harry Potter anymore, I don't like spoilers.
Old 06-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Loyal Fan

It seems like the movie really disappoints me if I read the book first (although some films i.e., Virgin Suicides are fairly true to the book).

If I read the book after the movie, then I may be bummed that some of the aspects of the books didn't make it in BUT it's not as big of a deal since I didn't have such high expectations going into the movie.
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Loyal Fan

It just depends on what I get first. If I read a book and find out there's a movie version, I'll want to see the movie. Same if I watch a movie and find out that it was based on a book.
Selina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:59 PM
Loyal Fan

I guess that in my experience if I read the book before I see the movie, and the movie doesn't do justice to the book I feel dissapointed. For me, it's whatever I come across first. It really doesn't make a difference to me. What I do sometimes is that if I see the movie and like it and find out there's a book, I'll probably read the book after seeing the movie. But, if I don't like the movie I don't even bother with the book.
Tim's Rally Girl #9

Don't you just love that smile??
avie by: daritah
Mary A Trory Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 04:09 AM
Part-Time Fan

If I know it is a book also before the film comes out, I must read it.. So I'd know wat changes were made- ie. Harry Potter, Awtr, The notebook etc.. If I didnt know there was a book Id read it soon after!
Old 07-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Passionate Fan

Well, the one I can think right now has been "Lolita" by Nabokov. When I saw the movie , it actually dissapointed me
-Alina- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Extreme Fan

It's very rare that I don't read the book before seeing the movie. I like to be well read, so to speak, on the material. That way I can get into the storyline more. The only downside is that if there are any changes from the book I get totally annoyed
~Amanda
Old 07-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Loyal Fan

I always say I'd prefer to read the book before seeing the movie. But I never do. I'm ashamed. The reason is because, if I see a movie and THEN try to read the book, I end up skimming to the parts that are in the movie, just to see what changed, what was taken out, etc. I shouldn't do that.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:21 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Selina
It just depends on what I get first. If I read a book and find out there's a movie version, I'll want to see the movie. Same if I watch a movie and find out that it was based on a book.
Yeah, it's the same for me. Usually when I read a book I envision what it would be like as a movie, so I like to compare that to the actual movie; but when I see a movie I don't necessarily read the book, because sometimes I worry that there'll be major differences between the 2. I don't like that. I like when the movie's true to the book.

**Actress^Animal Lover^Flutist^Writer**
amusic20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Loyal Fan

i personally don't think so...I read Tuck Everlasting when I was a kid then watched the movie but when I watched A Walk To Remember I decided to read the book...i thought the book was a even better than the movie.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Fan

Not necessarily...no. I read How To Deal before I saw the movie but that was mostly by accident and I read the book two years before the movie even came out. I read A Walk To Remember after I saw the movie, it was cool to see how different they each were. I couldn't picture Jamie blonde, so I kind of skipped over that description, lol.

I read Mystic River way before the movie came out, too. I think it'd rock if they made A Drink Before The War a movie. (also by Dennis Lehane)

Logan: My underbelly is rock-hard. It can go all night.
Bijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 06:35 AM
Extreme Fan

Yes, or I get confused during the movie. I've never seen LOTR because I haven't read the books, and it would be too difficult to watch the movie without the added background of the books.

But the thing I find, and this is especially true with Harry Potter, is that once you read the book, you see the movie and can't really enjoy it because you're too busy scrutinizing every detail they changed/took out! I keep having to go back to see PoA because I was too critical of it the first time and didn't see it as a MOVIE.
AlyssaLuvsClay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread