Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2005, 07:31 PM
Obsessed Fan

Do you have a favorite writing style or technique?

Writing style's probably the most important factor of a book for me. Because typically if I don't like the writing style, I get bored, even if I love the storyline. Ex. Color Blind by Jonathan Santlofer. I still haven't gotten through the ARC of that despite how excited I was when I first heard about it.

So I was just wondering if you guys had any particular writing style you like better than others?

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 05:00 AM
Supreme Fan

I enjoy detail...to a certain extent. I like it when the author presents enough details, not only of the situation but of the surroundings so that I can create that mental picture because I am a very visual person, I love creating my own idea of the scene. But, I don't like it when an author takes five or six pages to explain a location or an event.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:32 AM
Master Fan

I like details too, especially if an author mentions someone or something, i like to know what the person's or things (Ex.Dog) name. I also like things that are Humerous. Humerous writing keeps me interested and if they combine it with drama, it usally makes a good book for me.

Visit my Book Blog "Little Corner of the World" HERE
Jedisakora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Moderator Support Team

I like it when it is simple and to the point. Not simple like just writing in short sentences or having a limited vocabulary. But simple as in not making things complicated. Some authors like to describe a situation or a landscape or whatever with a lot of big words and imagery and it just gets confusing and boring after a while. It doesn't paint a picture in the head at all. Like, if the description is supposed to be about the rainy weather where the story takes place, then just use one paragraph to describe the weather, not 2 pages!!!
Quarterley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngel
I enjoy detail...to a certain extent. I like it when the author presents enough details, not only of the situation but of the surroundings so that I can create that mental picture because I am a very visual person, I love creating my own idea of the scene. But, I don't like it when an author takes five or six pages to explain a location or an event.
ITA. A paragraph or two is good enough for me to get a visual. I hate long describtions. I get bored and start to skim then.
I also like when the author describes a character's (esp the main character's) emotionas and thought process for the charatcer development of the story.
Humor and or suspense and plot twists are a plus.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Addicted Fan

For me it's not so much the writing style but the tone and atmosphere the language is able to set up. Sometimes it's done with detail...sometimes simplistically...
xallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:36 AM
Dedicated Fan

Speaking about style I must say that I love somerset maugham’s style and language
Alena is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread