Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Obsessed Fan

Disappointing Reads Thread #1

Have you ever read the synopsis of a book and thought, "Wow, I have to borrow/buy this book...it has a really unique premise / the characters sounds interesting / etc..."? Then you actually read the book and wish it had never been written or had been written by someone else because the book just falls flat for whatever reason, like it's too long or too short or the writing is just off.

That seems to happen to me a lot. Black-eyed Suzie by Susan Shaw is one that comes to mind. It was a decent book, I guess I just expected more.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 03-26-2005, 03:01 PM
KIT
Extreme Fan

I guess Lord of the Rings, I know many people love it and there is a huge following for it. But I’ve tried it, I read the first one but I just don’t see what everyone else sees, it’s okay but it doesn’t do anything for me.

I can’t even sit through the movie.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Master Fan

hmm.. Yeah there have been several books that have done that. I normally buy a book based on the cover a lot. I only give a book around 50 pages to draw me in.

The book I hated the most was Wally Lamb's "She's Come Undone" that was a horrid book. I bought it because everyone kept telling me how good it was. I even kept reading it when I would have stopped with others but I found it revolting and insulting.

All the other books I really hate I didn't go into them expecting them to be wonderful so it wasn't a disappointment.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 03-26-2005, 04:52 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

The one that comes immediately to mind for me is Daughter of the Empire by Raymond E. Feist and Janny Wurts. It sounded really good but when I read it, I found it boring, predictible, and I thought the female lead character was pretty offensive- not strong and noble like the description said. If the book had lived up to the promise of the blurb on the back cover, I would have loved it though.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

She's Come Undone -- Hmmm... k46 I have heard that is an awesome book, too, but I haven't read it.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:37 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Mustang Girl
She's Come Undone -- Hmmm... k46 I have heard that is an awesome book, too, but I haven't read it.
that is what I heard too but I found it really depressing the main character hates herself so much that it is hard to read and just plain painful at times.

Also please feel free to call me Kim.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:05 PM
Supreme Fan

a lot of people told me it was a great book but I just couldnt get passed the first chapter...........Snach
GO TO
Matt CzuchryBoard|Roswell Board
Old 03-26-2005, 11:07 PM
Moderator Support Team

Lord of the Rings. I fell asleep.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:59 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterley
LOL. I like the movies but I can't bring myself to read the books.

Veronica Mars, House, Gilmore Girls, and Bones fangirl
Old 03-27-2005, 09:49 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarterley
I have to admit I love the books but I couldn't read them all in a row because they were hard to follow at parts. I would read one then take months off and then go for the second I kind of want to read them again after watching the movies. Maybe I will catch some things I missed the first time.

I kept thinking about this last night and I was really disappointed with The Chamber by Grisham. I really haven't read any of his books since then since I was so disappointed by that book.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I also had to take breaks between the LOTR books. I can never read too many books in a row by one author because I start to get annoyed with their writing style. I tried reading The Hobbit and LOTR all in a row when I was 13 and I failed miserably.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:39 PM
Master Fan

See when I really love an author I'm exactly the opposite I read all of their books really quickly Soz. I guess that is why it was so weird for me to read them all in a row.

As for reading LoTR at 13 wow! hee I'm not sure I would of had the patience to read any of them at 13 So I'm impressed you even tried it.

Old 03-27-2005, 05:53 PM
Dedicated Fan

No book jumped out at me right away but I have to say word on She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb.

Ok, looking back now I think that all books by Nicholas Sparks are disappointing especially A Walk To Remember. Maybe because so may people hyped it up.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by k46
that is what I heard too but I found it really depressing the main character hates herself so much that it is hard to read and just plain painful at times.

Also please feel free to call me Kim.
Kim Got it

I guess it would be an enlightening book in that it would be realistic, but certainly not a fun read.
Old 03-27-2005, 10:49 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Kim, thanks. I think I should have stopped with The Hobbit when I was 13, but I think I got about mid-way through The Two Towers before finally giving up. My attention span wasn't that great then, so I probably was a bit overly ambitious.

igloo155, I went into reading A Walk to Remember telling myself not to expect too much because from what I had heard about it, it didn't seem like a book I would like, but I did end up liking it. I hadn't really heard a lot of hype for it though. In fact, I heard the opposite quite a bit because the romance lovers seemed to hate it. I had seen the movie though and knew not to go into it expecting a romance happily-ever-after type ending.