Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2006, 12:30 PM
Master Fan

Diana Gabaldon's Books Discussion Thread #1

Hey!

Has anyone read the Outlander saga? Does Jamie Fraser and Claire Randall/Fraser ring any bell? If so, and if you wanna discuss them, go ahead. I'll be glad to meet more Gabaldon's fans out there

Small summary of the first book

In 1945, Claire Randall Beauchamp spends her well deserved holiday in Inverness, Scotland, with her husband Frank Randall. Married right before the beginning of the war, they both try to relearn to know each other during these few days off. While Frank, an historian specialized in the 18th century and fond of genealogy, spends his days looking for his ancestors (and especially, some Jonathan Randall, also known as "Black Jack Randall" because of his attitude towards the Scottish population), Claire increases her knowledge of the local plants and their medicinal virtues (Claire was a nurse during the war). During one of her wanderings, she finds a stone circle: Craig Na Dun.

She goes back to the stone circle shortly after Beltane (one of the most important celtic feasts) to collect a very rare plant. While coming closer to the stone circle, and more particularly to a split stone, abominable noises and a dreadful impression of aspiration make her faint.

She awakes in a strange world, where men are dressed either in kilt and rags, or in the red coats of the dragoon english guard uniform, and where all these people seem to fight each other, as if they were in war! In fact, instead of simply fainting near a stone circle, Claire has traveled through time and now finds herself in 1744! After many adventures, she is finally taken to castle Leoch, main house of the laird of the MacKenzie Clan. During her time in Leoch, she becomes more and more involved with a young man, named Jamie Fraser... and it is at this point that the story really starts!

So if you want to read an excellent series of historical novels full of humour and adventures, go for "Outlander" without any second thoughts . But be careful, once caught, the "gabaldonite" is an incurable plague!!

Taken from this site: fidilopez.club.fr

Links

Diana Gabaldon's offical site

'Je suis prest' - the Jamie Fraser fanlisting

The Claire Randall Fraser fansliting

The Outlander saga Fanlisting

Quotes

Coming soon

Scotland

visit Scotland

travel Scotland

Forth Williams

Culloden house

Last edited by Beatriz; 07-25-2006 at 04:04 PM
Old 04-30-2006, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

I plan on reading this series in the summer.

Sasha
Old 05-01-2006, 10:31 AM
Master Fan

Great! You won't regret it Let me know how you like them, ok?
Old 05-01-2006, 09:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Deal.

Sasha
Old 06-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Master Fan

I love those books. I've read all of them and have them in my bookshelf. I don't remember which book it is but Jamie tells Claire: "When they day shall come, that we do part. If my last words are not `I love you´ - ye'll ken it was because I didna have time"

That are so romantic.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:47 PM
Master Fan

Aww I'm almost done with the first in the Outlander series. I love Jamie and Claire - I always imagined they were Hugh Dancy and Catherine McCormack, lol. The book is really well-written.
i got stuck on the side you know i never chose
but it's all about taking the easy way out for you i suppose
Old 06-06-2006, 11:00 AM
Master Fan

Jamie for me is a red-head tall Scotish man with big muscles.

When I was in Scotland last summer I kept my eyes open.

You have many awesome books a head of you Shannon.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Elite Fan

At Beatriz's recommendation I've recently started the series and I'm on the second book at present. It's so wonderfully rich and absorbing that life has ceased to exist. The BEST kind of book
Old 06-10-2006, 06:53 AM
Absolute Fan

I love this series, I have recently just finished the latest book. I don't want to say anything just in case I spoil it for someone!

All I know is that if Outlander is made into a few movies, I can see that tall red head girl from 'That 70's Show' playing Brianna - sorry, I am hopeless with names.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Master Fan

A friend suggested I read Outlander and I loved it. I'm usually not a fan of time travel stories so I was skeptical but it didn't take long to convert me. I just started Dragonfly in Amber this morning and I've already checked Voyager out of the library for when I finish that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen00
All I know is that if Outlander is made into a few movies, I can see that tall red head girl from 'That 70's Show' playing Brianna - sorry, I am hopeless with names.
Are you thinking of Laura Prepon?
Old 06-17-2006, 08:32 AM
Master Fan

What are the sequels of Outlander called? I just finished the first book a couple days ago.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:13 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Shannon*
What are the sequels of Outlander called? I just finished the first book a couple days ago.
Dragonfly in Amber
Voyager
Drums of Autumn
The Fiery Cross
A Breath of Snow and Ashes
Old 06-17-2006, 04:23 PM
Master Fan

OK, thanks!
Old 06-17-2006, 04:33 PM
Master Fan

You're welcome!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:19 PM
Master Fan

I kinda forgot about this thread, since it didn't seem to be many ppl posting

Glad to find some more Jamie and Calire lovers (hey Deb )

I bought off ebay the saga in english (I had read it in spanish) and I am re-reading from the first book. When I first read them I was in such a hurry to know what migh happen next that I am sure I missed a lot of details. Plus, knowing already what is going to happen gives you a different perspective

And yes, they are very romantic

But they are much more than that. That's why I like them. I mean, the whole Jamie and Randall thing...

Oh, and from Diana's official website, this was posted on june 9th, 2006:

Quote:
Still to come in the Jamie and Claire storyline - and no! It isn't written yet! (What do you people think I am, a machine?) - at least one (maybe two, I don't know. How do you expect me to know these things--what am I, psychic or something?) further novel(s), untitled.

(It--or they--are untitled because a) I haven't yet come up with a working title, and b) if I did, I wouldn't say what it was in public, because bloody amazon.com would promptly snatch it and start taking orders. Watch--just watch--I'll bet within a week of my posting this, if you do an Amazon search on my name, it will pop up a "new novel!" titled…UNTITLED. I kid you not. They do this.)

*So far, the best description is one supplied by Salon.com magazine: "the smartest historical sci-fi adventure-romance story ever written by a science Ph.D. with a background in scripting "Scrooge McDuck" comics."
Good news, isn't it?

Source: Diana Gabaldon's website

Last edited by Beatriz; 07-02-2006 at 05:25 PM
Closed Thread   Post New Thread