Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Supreme Fan

December Book Club Nominations

Hey everyone It's that time again to get some nominations for the book of the month for December We'll take the first four nominations, so get your suggestions in!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Elite Fan

Haven't read it yet but intend to soon

On a school trip to the Natural History Museum in London, a 12-year-old loner named George is banished
for something he didn't do. Angry, he lashes out and breaks off a dragon's head carved onto the wall of the museum. Next thing he knows, a pterodactyl carving comes to life and begins to chase him. From Gunner, a walking, talking statue, George learns that he has entered another layer of reality, and that his arrival has started a new war between good spits (statues that are imbued with a soullike essence by their inspired makers) and evil taints (soulless carvings). With the advice of various spits, and the companionship of a girl named Edie, George seeks answers from two Sphinx statues, whose enigmatic clues lead the pair into a terrifying adventure. Creatively building on the plentiful gargoyles and other creepy stonework of its urban setting, this lengthy novel, the first in a planned trilogy, will draw capable readers for its suspenseful chase scenes, scary creatures, and highly original premise.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Supreme Fan

Ooh - sounds good!

Okay, we've got one nomination - three more to go!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Supreme Fan

Alright, I'll go on and make my nomination, though, since it isn't YA or fantasy I doubt people will be interested
Anyway, I'm just about to start reading Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt which is an awesome book so I'm going to nominate it this month.
From the book jacket
Quote:
Shots rang out in Savannah's grandest mansion in the misty, early morning hours of May 2, 1981. Was it murder or self-defense? For nearly a decade, the shooting and its aftermath reverberated throughout this hauntingly beautiful city of moss-hung oaks and shaded squares. John Berendt's sharply observed, suspenseful, and witty narrative reads like a thoroughly engrossing novel, and yet it is a work of nonfiction. Berendt skillfully interweaves a hugely entertaining first-person account of life in this isolated remnant of the Old South with the unpredictable twists and turns of a landmark murder case.
It is a spellbinding story peopled by a gallery of remarkable characters: the well0bred society of ladies of the Married Woman's Card Club; the turbulent redneck gigolo; the hapless recluse who owns a bottle of poison so powerful it could kill every man, woman, and child in Savannah; the aging and profane Southern belle who is the 'soul of pampered self-absorption'; the uproariously funny black drag queen; the acerbic and arrogant antiques dealer; the sweet-talking, piano-playing con artist; young blacks dancing the minuet at the black debutante ball; and Minerva, the voodoo priestess who works her magic in the graveyard at midnight. These and other Savannahians act as a Greek chorus, with Berendt revealing the alliances, hostilities, and intrigues that thrive in a town where everyone knows everyone else.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Supreme Fan

^ That sounds good too This is going to be a hard month for me to vote...

Anyone else have a book they'd like to put in to vote on for the book of the month? December's quickly approaching!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Here's one: Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher.

Product Description
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation.

About the Author
JAY ASHER got the idea for Thirteen Reasons Why at a museum. While taking an audio tour, he was struck by the eeriness of the voice in his ear--a woman who described exactly what he was looking at, but wasn't there. Jay lives on the central coast of California. Thirteen Reasons Why is his first book.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 AM
Supreme Fan

Thirteen Reasons Why has been on my to-read list for awhile This is really goign to be tough voting for me this month!

We still have room for one more nomination!!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

A New York real estate tycoon plunges to his death on a Manhattan sidewalk. A trophy wife with a past survives a narrow escape from a brazen attack. Mobsters and moguls with no shortage of reasons to kill trot out their alibis. And then, in the suffocating grip of a record heat wave, comes another shocking murder and a sharp turn in a tense journey into the dirty little secrets of the wealthy. Secrets that prove to be fatal. Secrets that lay hidden in the dark until one NYPD detective shines a light.

Mystery sensation Richard Castle, blockbuster author of the wildly best-selling Derrick Storm novels, introduces his newest character, NYPD Homicide Detective Nikki Heat. Tough, sexy, professional, Nikki Heat carries a passion for justice as she leads one of New York City's top homicide squads. She's hit with an unexpected challenge when the commissioner assigns superstar magazine journalist Jameson Rook to ride along with her to research an article on New York's Finest. PulitzerPrize-winning Rook is as much a handful as he is handsome. His wise-cracking and meddling aren't her only problems. As she works to unravel the secrets of the murdered real estate tycoon, she must also confront the spark between them. The one called heat.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Supreme Fan

Alright, we have our four nominations!! Thanks for the suggestions, guys

Here are the four books to vote on for our December book club book:

Stoneheart by Charlie Fletcher
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Heat Wave by Richard Castle

Since it's almost December already, we'll leave voting open a bit past December 1, so you can vote through this coming Friday, December 4. Be sure to get your vote in for what book you'd like to read for December before the 4th!

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Elite Fan

Stoneheart
Old 11-30-2009, 07:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Heat Wave
Old 11-30-2009, 08:48 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm sorry but I am going to make it harder.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
Old 11-30-2009, 02:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Tina
Old 11-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Supreme Fan

Tina's mixing it up here I still don't know...all the noms this month are books that either sound like ones I'd like or are ones on my to-read list

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Oh so its hard to pick
Closed Thread   Post New Thread