Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Extreme Fan

Clive Barker Thread

I believe Clive Barker to be a very good author. His books are just awesome.

Not only that but he's also a man who's written children's books.

I'd have to say that my favorite book of his would be the 'Books of Blood'

Last edited by Fairy_Angel; 09-06-2004 at 05:24 PM
Fairy_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:09 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Clive Barker is my very favorite author. I love all of his books, but my favorite is Weaveworld, followed very closely by Imajica. I can't wait for Abarat: Days of Magic, Nights of War to be released- just two more weeks.

I even got to meet Clive Barker 6 years ago at a book signing in New York City. He was so nice and stayed way past the time he was supposed to leave because the line of fans was so long. He took the time to sign books for every single person in line- and some people had huge piles of books, so he signed everything they had.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Extreme Fan

Wow. Thats really amazing. And it goes to show that he's a really nice guy.

I love that in an author.

I know my aunt loves his works too. She has quite a few of his books.

(And also the Hellraiser movies that were based on one of his books)
Old 09-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Obsessed Fan

Clive Barker is a phenomenal artist as well as a wonderful writer.

I adore Abarat and can't wait for the second one. Weaveworld was pretty good, too.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Extreme Fan

I wasn't too much on Weaveworld. Neither was my aunt.

But his other books are phenominal.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:01 AM
Loyal Fan

Clive Barker is my favourite author his books opened up this whole new world for me. My favourites are Imajica (as you can see by my screen name!) and Weaveworld.

Well, isn't it comforting to know that being miserable is still better than being an idiot? - Clare Fisher
imajica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:05 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Fairy_Angel, yeah it was amazing of him to stay so long. The line went all the way around the room and down the stairs. He was only supposed to sign for an hour or two, but he asked when the store closed, and when the manager said midnight, Clive Barker said he could stay until then, if he had to.

My cousin is also a huge Clive fan and he went with me to the signing. He has the Hellraiser movies on DVD, so he gave me his VHS copies. (I also have a DVD player, but haven't gotten around to buying the Hellraiser DVDs yet).

Rain Candy, I agree. One of the things I love about his children's books is that they have so much of his art in them. He has a line of bicyle clothing now with his art and I desperately want at least a jersey (although I'd love to get the whole groupo). Here's the link to the site, so you can see his art: http://www.primalwear.com/2004site/CLIVE-BARKER.html

imajica, we even have the same two favorite Barker books. My old screen name (Quaisior) was from Imajica but it was too hard for a lot of people to spell.

I've been looking at my library's site every few days to see if they ordered Days of Magic, Nights of War yet, but they haven't. As soon as I see it on there, I'm requesting it!
Old 09-13-2004, 11:36 PM
Loyal Fan

Soz - its so funny yesterday when I saw your post on the Has a book ever literally changed your life? thread I was just so excited to see someone else who had experienced Clive Barker like I had and then about 10 mins later I noticed this this thread!

Those designs are amazing - I can't wait til he brings out the coffee table book of his paintings.

Well, isn't it comforting to know that being miserable is still better than being an idiot? - Clare Fisher
Old 09-16-2004, 02:33 AM
New Fan

I liked Books of Blood and The Thief of Always, but none of his other stuff has really grabbed me that much. I read a bunch of his books when I was going through my goth/horror-bitch phase. Don't really remember them all, I think one was The Damnation Game, and another was about a brother and sister with magic powers or something, who end up fighting on different sides. I've tried reading Imajica, but I got so annoyed with the characters that I just gave up on it.
Lucinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Soz

Rain Candy, I agree. One of the things I love about his children's books is that they have so much of his art in them. He has a line of bicyle clothing now with his art and I desperately want at least a jersey (although I'd love to get the whole groupo). Here's the link to the site, so you can see his art: http://www.primalwear.com/2004site/CLIVE-BARKER.html
I just saw the primal wear jerseys a couple minutes ago when I was looking around his site. Now I want one, too. His art is just always so colorful and striking. And my library doesn't have Days of Magic, Nights of War yet either. I guess I'll have to keep checking.

Quote:
CHICAGO TO GET A GLIMPSE OF ABARAT

Where: The Museum of Contemporary Art
Robert B. and Beatrice C. Mayer Education Center
220 E. Chicago Ave.; Chicago, IL

ART EXHIBIT: Clive Barker’s Abarat
This exhibit makes public, for the first time ever, a selection of Clive Barker’s Abarat paintings.

When: Wednesday, October 27 – Sunday, November 14

Hours:
Wednesday – Sunday, 10:00 a.m.– 5:00 p.m.;
Tuesdays 10:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Admission: FREE
Does anyone live in Chicago? Because I sure wish I did.

Old 09-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Elite Fan

I've only read The Thief of Always but that was cool
Old 09-24-2004, 01:11 AM
Obsessed Fan

I've only read Abarat and Weaveworld, but I should remember to put some of the favorites mentioned here on my list of books I need to read.

Anyway, I went to the bookstore w/ my sis on Tuesday to buy the new ASOUE book and to get the freebies. Then I looked frantically around the store for the new Abarat book. Turns out they hadn't put it out, so I made my sister go in the back room and bring a stack out (don't worry, she works there). Then I just sat there and flipped through the pages, completely flipping out myself. (There's this really beautiful full-page painting of ocean waves somewhere in middle.) I hope I get to read it soon. My library still has not gotten it, but I put in a request for it!

Old 09-28-2004, 12:21 AM
Loyal Fan

I would love to see that exhibition in Chicago - I love his artworks, they add so much to the books. Unfortunatley the trip from Australia might be a bit far.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I'm so excited! I just requested Days of Magic, Nights of War from the library. Unfortunately, it's already out so I have to wait for it to get returned to get it (and if anyone else has requested it, I'll have to wait for them to finish with it too). I kept checking nearly every day to see if they had finally added it to the library catalog and I must have missed it as soon as it was added. They didn't even have it listed as ordered by the library first.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:18 PM
Obsessed Fan

I just finished Abarat: DOM, NOW last night, and I'm already looking forward to the paperback release b/c I love it. I think it's even better than the first one, mainly because all the characterization's done with and they can go on with the story. The Abaratian stuff was great, but the best parts were back in Chickentown where they got to explore Candy's family a little more. That was nice. But what was up with all the deaths?!

Reply   Post New Thread