Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I hope it's the latter. Jem should get a happy ending.

Although it doesn't have to be a sibling, it could just be a distant relation.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah. I hope he gets his happy ending too.

Yeah, it could .. as long as they share the same surname
Old 02-10-2012, 11:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I saw on FB that the studio that was going to do the movies dropped it.

April
Old 02-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, here is the article:

What looked to be a promising year for the adaptation of The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones, has turned into a setback. Heat Vision is reporting that Screen Gems has dropped the film project.

Constantin Film, which controls the rights, will probably search for another studio to pick up the project. Ultimately it looks like financial issues were its downfall at Screen Gems.

Also, Scott Stewart, who was attached to direct the film, is no longer directing.

Quote:
Here’s what The Hollywood Reporter had to say:

In addition, sister label Screen Gems has untethered itself from Mortal Instruments, the adaptation of the Cassandra Clare YA fantasy series.

Scott Stewart had been attached to direct while Lily Collins and Jamie Campbell Bower were attached to star in the story of a human woman helping human-angel hybrids fight evil forces.

Constantin Film, which controls the rights, may self-finance or seek a co-financier as it develops this on its own. Stewart, meanwhile, is no longer directing, focusing on a TV version of his Screen Gems flick, Legion.
ETA: Update, looks like everything is fine

Quote:
A report by The Hollywood Reporter on Friday sent the Mortal Instruments fandom into a frenzy.

It was reported that Screen Gems had dropped The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones.

But Cassandra Clare cleared up the rumor and actually said that Screen Gems hasn’t been involved with The Mortal Instruments since August 2011.

Sony gave it to Columbia Pictures to develop at that time.

Constantin Film holds the film rights and controls if/when the film gets made. And according to Clare, Constantin wants to begin filming in August of this year.

Contrary to THR’s report, The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones is NOT CANCELLED.

Lily Collins (Clary) and Jamie Campbell Bower (Jace) are still attached to the project.

Scott Stewart, who was attached to direct the film, was dropped from the project when The Mortal Instruments was handed over to Columbia Pictures in August.

Cassie posted this on tumblr
http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/pos...5/movie-stuffs

Quote:
Did the movie really get dropped? Love your books! And you, for that matter. Thank you.”

Whoa, so this is inconveniently timed given that I’m leaving the country and I was going to announce that I was turning off my Ask box till I get back in March. Eep.

So, THR’s is a slightly bizarre (and weeeirdly outdated) version of events. Screen Gems didn’t drop the project; they weren’t involved with it — it was given over by Sony to a different division to develop back in… August of 2011, which is also when Sony took Scott Stewart off the project. But yes, Screen Gems and Scott Stewart aren’t involved with the movie of City of Bones. The rights are owned by Constantin, they always have been. Constantin makes movies: they just made The Three Musketeers with Logan Lerman. Screen Gems would have been the distributor and co-producer but it was never their project; it’s Constantin’s. Screen Gems hasn’t actually been involved with the project since — well, let’s just say it’s been a while. (Some people have asked me if this is the news Marlene King was talking about on Twitter last week but it wouldn’t be; she was brought on after Screen Gems wasn’t involved any more so that the new production company would have a screenplay that was more “theirs”. She’s never worked with SG so it wouldn’t be news to her.( She’s probably all like, whoa, explodey-what? right now.

Why didn’t I tell you guys? This isn’t really even the sort of thing that people tell me. Constantin owns the movie rights: who distributes it and co-finances and all that isn’t actually anything to do with me in any real meaningful sense. Projects get moved from studio to studio all the time — Twilight started at Paramount and went to Summit, etc. Screen Gems isn’t even the only production company CoB has been involved with, or the most recent. And half the time I don’t know about it, so 1) I can only give out news that’s been confirmed and okayed for me to give out — if I wasn’t trusted to keep my mouth shut about ongoing negotiations they would just stop telling me things period and 2) the other half the time I don’t even know this stuff or it’s so in flux there would be no point saying anything about it if I did.

In this case, I will say:

1) The movie isn’t “cancelled.” This really doesn’t make much of any difference at all except in who distributes it.

2) Lily and Jamie are still attached. I mean, it’s been months since Screen Gems was connected with the project, and L&J are still attached, so I’m fairly confident they’ll be attached for the foreseeable future. Will they be attached forever? NO idea. But nothing about this makes it any more or less likely. And this isn’t news to them.

3) Really, this makes no difference to anything. I know words like “dropped” sound shocking and horrifying but in this context, it doesn’t mean much. I talked to Constantin last week and actually gave them a list of actors I liked for Simon (because why not?), and they gave me a schedule they expected to start filming by (August.)

No movie is going to be made until it’s greenlit. The movie was in development. It’s still in development. That said, Hollywood is like a big pinball machine. Projects bounce up, they roll around, they go this way, they go that way. This is (was) a bounce.

Last edited by Stay to the Lights; 02-11-2012 at 02:39 AM
Old 02-11-2012, 03:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Whew, so everything's still okay.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:30 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Periwinkles (View Post)
Here's some info about The Dark Artifices, her other planned trilogy in the Shadowhunter world:

Cassandra Clare, The Dark Artifices: What We Know So Far
Another trilogy? I'm really starting to believe those reviewers who question CC being capable of writing anything else.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, everything seems to be fine.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Saw this on Tumblr:

Spoiler:

April
Old 02-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Spoiler:
Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't wait to read more of him.

April
Old 02-28-2012, 06:55 AM
Fan Forum Star

CoLS chapter titles revealed
‘City of Lost Souls’ Chapter Titles Revealed! | The Mortal Instruments Source
Old 03-02-2012, 11:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Unidentified Snippit

Spoiler:

http://cassandraclare.tumblr.com/pos...tified-snippet

I can't tell if its JC or WT
It fits them both
Old 03-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It does.

April
Old 03-08-2012, 03:01 AM
Fan Forum Legend

prays its wt sounds more like him to me i hate these unidentified snippets like how she wont tell us cuz were prolly always wrong or its not what we expect dfghjk
Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Fan Forum Star

News::

Quote:
City of Bones will begin filming on August 15! Let the countdown begin!
Quote:
Constantin is also working on hiring a casting director to nail down the rest of the cast.
Quote:
I'll have full coverage from today's big movie news up when I get home in the next hour.
https://twitter.com/#!/TMI_Source

From Cassie

Quote:
So I can’t post much; I’m running off the airport, literally, to catch a plane home.

I had a great meeting last night with Robert (of Constantin — the people who own the movie rights to City of Bones) and Jessica (screenwriter, along with Marlene King) and the director, who had such incredibly detailed questions about the film that I found myself having to pull out my iPad and reread City of Bones because even I couldn’t remember what happened. But he did, which is an excellent sign!

Anyway, it was a great meeting — we went on for hours till they kicked us out of the restaurant and everyone was incredibly enthusiastic. Now here is an actual piece of actual news: I know people have been fretting because Lily has so many projects (she’s a popular girl) so I checked in and she is locked down schedule-wise for an August 15 shooting start date for City of Bones.

Yes, that’s an August shooting start date. So there, an actual piece of news. They’re hiring a casting director now to start on the rest of the cast, and Lily has what’s called “meaningful consultation” on the roles of Jace and Simon (meaning she gets to put in her two cents, which only seems fair since she has to kiss them both) — we know she already threw in for Jamie but I will say that she definitely likes someone for Simon that a lot of you all like. Who knows, maybe she can talk him into it. Girl with good taste, our Lily.

And that’s all for now, I run to the airport, but I’ll have a bit more for you later — like the director’s name.

And this::

Despite The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices set to come to a close in the next couple of years, bestselling author Cassandra Clare won’t be saying goodbye to her Shadowhunter world just yet.

Clare has signed a three-book deal with Simon & Schuster to write The Dark Artifices, a spinoff series set in 2012 Los Angeles.

Clare has been teasing fans with the possibility of the spinoff series, but now there is confirmation, as Margaret K. McElderry Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, has announced the deal, according to The Washington Post.

Quote:
“The series follows Emma Carstairs, the fiercest warrior and most skilled young Shadowhunter since Jace Wayland, and Emma’s sworn partner in arms, Julian Blackthorn,” the statement reads. “Despite Emma’s complicated feelings for Julian, the two must band together to investigate a demonic plot that stretches from the warlock-run nightclubs of the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica.”

Clare said in a statement that she was sure readers would love both her new and her established characters.

“I know readers will come to love Emma, Mark, Cristina and Julian just as they have loved Jace, Clary, Will, Tessa and Jem,” she said. “Readers have often asked what will happen in the Shadowhunter world after the events of the ‘Mortal Instruments’ and this series will give them a chance to find out.”
It’s Official: Cassandra Clare has signed on to write ‘The Dark Artifices’ trilogy | The Mortal Instruments Source
Closed Thread   Post New Thread