Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 04:20 AM
Master Fan

Books to Read on a Long Road Trip

Well in the Northern Hemisphere, summer is just about upon us, and with the new season comes vacations and trips. In fact later this week, I'm pretty sure I'm going out of state for a few days to a wedding. The trips is 8 hours by car.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on good books to read while traveling? Do you recommend something easy to read/get into or something engrossing and thought provoking? Any genre will do. I'm headed to the library in a couple days to check some books out.

If anyone has any vacation/trip books questions please feel free to ask them in this thread.

Come visit the WWE/Wrestling Board

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free
Carrie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 06:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think "The Sisterhood of the Traveling pants 1& 2." - By Ann Brashares. And maybe Nancy Drew, if you like Mystery.
icon: xthebesthing
*Kaylee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Addicted Fan

I would say On the road by Jack Kerouac is a great book. I read the first time on when I was travelling from Copenhagen to NEw York and thought it to be a great book to read when you're travelling.
Jerseygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 10:54 AM
Passionate Fan

I usually bring the Shopaholic series with me on the road. And I find the Thursday Next Series to be very entertaining on long car trips.
"When a pony does a good deed, he gets a horn and he becomes a unicorn and poops out cotton candy until he forgets he’s magical and then his horn falls off. Black unicorns become zebras." - Brittany, Glee
SeekerOfTruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2004, 01:19 PM
Master Fan

Generally, I like to take a series of books with me during a summer trip because it can occupy you for days. That's how I read the LOTR series for the first time, many many years ago...
But on the other hand, you'd better choose your series well, or you'll be stuck with a bad novel that goes on and on for thousands of pages, and that can spoil your summer...
Old 05-30-2004, 10:33 PM
Master Fan

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far.

The last time I went on a trip, (it was via plane) a few years ago, I brought along Gone With The Wind to read. I just finished rereading it a few weeks ago though. Heh.

Come visit the WWE/Wrestling Board

When we're free to love anyone we choose
When this world's big enough for all different views
When we all can worship from our own kind of pew
Then we shall be free
Carrie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:22 AM
Part-Time Fan

Harry Potter V!

I think Harry Potter V- Order of the Phoenix would take a while to read.. although a bit heavy haha
Old 05-31-2004, 10:58 AM
Passionate Fan

I can't read in the car. I get really bad headaches. It sucks because sometimes I am really tempted.
"I'm just trying to be really considerate. I've never really done it before but I'm going to give it a shot. You know, I've seen it done and I've read about it so I'm going to try to be nice." ~Will, Big Brother 2
Maliejandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 12:21 PM
Master Fan

Jane Austen's books are always a great read and also any book by Dorothy L. Sayers and Agatha Christie. I think it's best to read something you know you'll like when you're travelling, that way the time will go quicker and you'll be sure to enjoy the reading.
madelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 12:38 PM
Obsessed Fan

Last year, I took Alex Flinn's Breathing Underwater with me on a road trip (mostly because I had just bought it), and I had a good experience with that book. It's an easy read but still makes you think. Unfortunately, it's not very long, but I was much too stressed/tired to read much anyway.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 03:21 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Maliejandra
I can't read in the car. I get really bad headaches. It sucks because sometimes I am really tempted.

I can't read in the car either, but I have no problem reading in trains or planes (when I'm not soundly asleep!).

It might be a good idea to pick a book that you've already read and enjoyed, because, since you already know the story and the way things end, you won't be annoy by the disturbances of a trip (people talking, interruptions, lack of comfort of the position...).
Old 06-01-2004, 06:34 AM
Extreme Fan

I envy all of you who can read in moving vehicles..-- i just get dizzy and carsick anytime i try.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:26 AM
New Fan

When I think travel reading, I think Harry Potter, Carl Hiassen, Janet Evanovich... I'm reading Vernon God Little (DBC Pierre) right now which is quite unputdownable.

Hope you have a good trip!
Selz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Loyal Fan

Under the Tuscan Sun is good for travels...And by the way, I have only seen the promos for the movie but it seems NOTHING like the book. So don't judge it by the movie.

I've heard the Nanny Diaries are good but haven't read it.

Bill Bryson is great - at least on cd - and it is longish. Anyways, it is very deadpan humor...kind of fun. I recommend "A Walk in the Woods" where he is hiking from Georgia to Maine - but he has several other pieces out there

Last edited by summerbug; 06-01-2004 at 11:53 AM
summerbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Loyal Fan

Gossip Girl by Cecily Von Zeigesar
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause
Confessions of Georgia Nicolson by Louise Rennison