Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2004, 11:47 PM
Elite Fan

Books that left you feeling disappointed (possible spoilers)

It is now 2:42 a.m. and I have just finished Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas by James Patterson and was left very disappointed with how it ended. Before I post my thoughts on the book, did anyone else read it? If so, do you agree that the ending was a disappointment as well and why or why not? Also, please post any other books that you read that you thought could've been better. Thanks!

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
Old 07-10-2004, 06:08 PM
Master Fan

i got spy girl from the library and was expecting something funny and racy. it was boring as all get out. i got 1/3 through it and decided i had given it more than enough chance and didn't finish it.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:03 PM
Part-Time Fan

Cold Mountain.

I loved th book desperately until the last few pages. Now I hate it.
Old 07-11-2004, 05:27 PM
Master Fan

There are some books I was so impatient to read because I expected alot from them, I finally ended up being disappointed because they didn't meet my expectations at all.

I felt that way with Catcher in the Rye by Salinger. People kept telling me how great it was, and how it was such an American literature treasure, and yet, I found myself being bored the whole time through, and angry at the main character.

I also tend to be all the more disappointed when it's one of my favourite authors' book that doesn't meet my expectations.
Old 07-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Elite Fan

For me, a book can suck in the beginning but if the ending sucks as well it is definitely going in the trash.

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
Old 07-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Sunshine by Robin McKinley. I got to the end and literally looked for more pages and screamed "That's it! You've got to be kidding me." So I rushed on over to her web site to see when the sequel would be coming out. But there most likely won't be one. I felt so ripped off. There were so many unsolved mysteries, not to mention a cliff-hanger ending. I felt betrayed by McKinley and her publisher.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:28 PM
Loyal Fan

Wonder Boys. After seeing the movie, I thought that it would be even more fun and quirkier than the movie. Nope. The movie really did justice to the novel - it is one instance where the movie is better than the book.

Actually American Psycho might fall into that category as well. The chapters there on musicians and their works were not that interesting but they were very well placed into the film. Plus, the film was campier and not as graphic as the novel.
Old 07-14-2004, 03:03 PM
Master Fan

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen. I don't remember why but I loved it up until the end. Maybe it was because they understood each other and I wanted more conflict.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Loyal Fan

Hard Love by Ellen Wittlinger... The ending was good, but if it had ended how I wanted it to, it would've been better. Then again, it would've been expected. It was just sad, tis all.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:06 PM
Part-Time Fan

Believe it or not: Bridget Jone's Diary...BORINGGGGGG! I was so bored, I never made it past page 50. And it left me with ABSOLUTELY NO INTEREST in seeing the movie. I won't even consider it.
Old 07-16-2004, 05:46 PM
Passionate Fan

Catcher in the Rye was greatly disappointing to me because so many of my peers had read it and had such a strong reaction to it whereas Holden just plain annoyed me. I guess I just didn't relate to it like others are able to.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:36 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by StellaSlight
I felt that way with Catcher in the Rye by Salinger. People kept telling me how great it was, and how it was such an American literature treasure, and yet, I found myself being bored the whole time through, and angry at the main character.
~*Me too! I read the book after years of hearing everyone rave about it and I just sat there after going huh.... !

~*LoVe,GeekLove,Pacey&Joey,Carly&Jason,Brooke&Mouth,
Betty&Daniel,George&Izzie,Lyla&Jason,Spuffy,Bones&Boothe, Team Karen
Craig&Ashley's hallway scene The Ghost in the Machine Marco&Dylan's kiss King Of Pain Ending scene Butterflied
Old 07-18-2004, 12:56 AM
Extreme Fan

I agree with those of you who said Catcher in the Rye was a disappointing book. We had to read it during our English 11 Honors class. I thought the book would be interesting considering it was a 'classic coming-of-age' story. Holden kept going on about how everyone was a phony and blah blah blah but in the end, it seemed like he was the phony. I don't see why it is considered a classic, it seems like just immature Holden rambling on about things he doesn't like. I did, however, like the dream where the title originated from.
I am beginning to know what it feels like to be a woman. To have people looking at you all the time. And I’m sorry ladies, I had no idea! But people are looking at me all the time. Its like i have musical boobies! ~ John Mayer
Old 07-19-2004, 10:42 PM
Obsessed Fan

I can't think of a praticular book off hand, but when a book doesn't wrap up well, I feel disappointed. I don't like the unaswered questions, that make you go, what happened? Or what would happen in the future?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood . It was boring and I was only liking the parts when they went back in time to the Ya-ya's childhood. I couldn't go on and gave up less than half way through.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread