Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2020, 08:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Now you don't have to feel like you wasted money on the box because you ended up liking it.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

Exactly!

And I immediately went to get the whole trilogy to read instead of waiting a few years.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't rememeber the series. It was made into a movie a few years ago. The first book sounded so good and right up my alley. At the point I went to buy it all 3 were out. I almost bought the box set but so glad I didn't because I didn't end up really liking the first book.

April
Old 08-02-2020, 08:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Aww. That’s a bummer. What disappointment.
Do you remember if you liked the movie? If you saw it.

I borrow from the library when I am apprehensive.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think the last time I rushed to get the next book in a series was Harry Potter. I'm glad it was all out by the time I got around to reading it.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

Star Wars: The Screaming Citadel*by*Kieron Gillen,**Jason Aaron,**Marco Checchetto,**Salvador Larroca,**Andrea Broccardo,**Andres Mossa*(Colour Artist),**Edgar Delgado*(Colour Artist),**Antonio Fabela*(Colour Artist)

Quote:
A rebel pilot and a rogue archaeologist delve into the darkest shadows of the galaxy side by side, as Luke Skywalker reluctantly teams up with Doctor Aphra! The not-so-good Doctor will make Luke an offer he can't afford to pass up...one that leads him to a very rare gathering at the heart of the infamous Screaming Citadel! Will Luke find what he's looking for? Can Aphra be trusted? Or will they both wind up victims of the Citadel's queen? And as this unlikely duo steps right into the lair of one of the most powerful, reclusive and dangerous women in the galaxy, can Han and Leia be far behind them?

COLLECTING: STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA 7-8, STAR WARS 31-32, STAR WARS: THE SCREAMING CITADEL 1
After reading Doctor Aphra Vol. 1 and then moving on to Vol 2. I realized that some of the story was missing. So I went back to read The Screaming Citadel.

The Story:
It was better than Doctor Aphra, Vol. 3: Remastered, but still not as strong a story as Vol 1 and 2. For starters the brain parasite/ zombie story has been done to death. The Queen's motives to capture Luke reminded me of
Spoiler:

There was a lot of action though and some humor. There were some amusing moments that made me chuckle.

Spoiler:

The artwork:
it was so jarring to see the different styles of art jump back and forth. I hate when they break up a single story between comic book issues and artists. It should have one writer, one artist, one color artist and one letterer.

Salvador Larroca and Edgar Delgado (Colour Artist) who are the artists for STAR WARS 31-32 did absolutely beautiful work. The facial features and expressions for Luke, Han, Leia and the cast of other characters were perfectly detailed. I loved the realism.

Then in between those issues the story continues with STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA 7-8. Those artists are Andrea Broccardo and Antonio Fabela*(Colour Artist) and I.... I don't want to be mean but I have to be honest. I hated it. It was like a Sunday morning cartoon in the comics section of the newspaper. There are no beautiful details.

I did like the art of STAR WARS: THE SCREAMING CITADEL 1 by Marco Checchetto and Andres Mossa*(Colour Artist). It wasn't as detailed as STAR WARS 31-32, but it was clean and pretty. (And how dapper did Luke look in a tux?)

So, in conclusion I would rate the story a 2 out of 5, but am I am giving this a 3 out of 5 Citadels because of Salvador Larroca and Edgar Delgado's gorgeous artwork.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Creatures of Light (Creatures of Light Book 3) by Emily B. Martin

Quote:
Queens, countries, and cultures collided in Woodwalker and Ashes to Fire, the first two books in Emily B. Martin’s Creatures of Light series. From Mae’s guidance to retake Lumen Lake to Mona’s eye-opening adventure in Cyprien, we now see things from Gemma’s perspective—a queen in disgrace…and symbol of the oppressive power of Alcoro.

Queen Gemma—although she isn’t sure she still has claim to that title—is in prison.

To her people, it’s simply called “The Retreat,” but in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by guards and unable to speak to her husband, King Celeno, there’s no other word for it. The only comfort she has is knowing she might not be there long—the Prelate has let her know in no uncertain terms the council is, even now, deciding her ultimate fate.

And Gemma would resign herself to that if it wasn’t for a mysterious stranger breaking her free and setting her on a course that could change the world. With precious information—and a skeptical travel companion— Gemma must undertake a journey to find answers to the questions that have defined her life for years…and her country for centuries.

If she can make this desperate scheme work, she might not just forge peace between Alcoro and their neighbors, but win some peace of heart as well. And, perhaps, she’ll learn the same lessons Mae and Mona learned: that being Queen doesn’t mean having to do everything alone.

Creatures of Light—the eponymous third and final book in Emily B. Martin’s series—is a novel filled with adventure, betrayal, and a queen’s lifelong struggle to love and trust herself.
I love this book. I love this trilogy. Good job, Harper Collins, for putting Woodwalker in the Fantasy Quest mystery box!

The world building is just incredible and in this last book expanded so well. We got to know more about the mysterious Prophecy and how certain people manipulate it for political gain. I loved the mix of science as well and applying a scholarly mind to find out the truth about it.

It was also great to see how Gemma and Celeno were working through their marriage after the events in Ashes to Fire. Learning about their life and relationship before their troubles really broke my heart.

There was a twist I did not see coming and I loved how it connected all three books. So well done!

I loved the friendship between the three Queens. Ellamae had such wise words. I love her. I bookmarked so many of her quotes. And she is funny. Her sense of humor, and Rou’s, were a perfect balance with the more serious stuff. I’m more like Gemma but want to be more like Ellamae.

Creatures of Light is a thick paperback, but an addictive page turner. It wrapped up the trilogy well and got me hooked to read more from this world. I already started Sunshield. Same universe but with new characters in a new setting.

5 out of 5 Petroglyphs.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

Sunshield (Outlaw Road #1)
by Emily B. Martin

Quote:
A lawless wilderness. A polished court. Individual fates, each on a quest to expose a system of corruption.

The desolate canyons of Alcoro - and the people desperate enough to hide there - couldn’t be more different from the opulent glass palace and lush forests of Moquoia. But the harsh desert and gleaming court are linked through their past, present, and future: a history of abductions in the desert to power Moquoia’s quarries and factories, and a bleak, inhumane future built on the sweat and sacrifice of these bond laborers.

But events unfolding in the present could change everything. In the desert, outlaw Lark - known to most as the Sunshield Bandit - has built a name for herself attacking slavers’ wagons and freeing the captives inside. But while she shakes the foundation of Moquoia’s stratified society, she also has to fight to protect her rescuees - and herself - from the unforgiving world around them.

In the Moquoian court, young ambassador Veran hopes to finally make his mark by dismantling the unjust labor system, if he can navigate the strict hierarchy and inexplicable hostility of the prince.

And caught in the middle of it all, Tamsin is trapped within four walls, the epicenter of a secret political coup to overthrow the Moquoian monarchy and perpetuate the age-old system of injustice.

Separated by seas of trees and sand, the outlaw, the diplomat, and the prisoner are more connected than anyone realizes. Their personal fates might just tip the balance of power in the Eastern World - if that very power doesn’t destroy them first.
I loved the Creatures of Light trilogy so much that I went ahead and bought Sunshield. (Harper Collins was having a sale!)

It's set about 20 or so years after the events of the first trilogy and Outlaw Road will be a duloagy. The conclusion <a href="https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/54110078-floodpath" target="_blank">Floodpath</a> comes out in March 2021 and I'm looking forward to it. Sunshield ended on a cliffhanger!

I strongly recommend reading the Woodwalker, Ashes to Fire, and Creatures of Light first. It will help to understand so much of the world. Not just character wise, but understanding the geography, cultures, and politics.

I love seeing the world building continue as it branched out to another land with a different monarchy, culture, and economics.

The story still fits Emily's formula where the characters go on a quest in the wilderness, and this time it was a western fantasy. I found it to be a great page turner.

I really liked the dynamic between Lark and Veran and seeing how that developed and what they learned from each other. I think it was obvious that
Spoiler:

I would say the only downside is that I did miss having the old protagonists around.
Spoiler:
There was Rou and I loved seeing him as an older man. He still had his sense of humor but also the worry of a father.

So for now my binge reading in this world is on pause. I took some good notes and am ready for March 2021.

4.5 out of 5 Bandits.
Old 08-22-2020, 06:59 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Lady Midnight Basically I stand behind everything written by Cassandra Clare and it didn't fail -- that was a reread cause it was the last I read from her, so now its time to dive into the other 2 of the trilogy
Old 08-23-2020, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I still never finished that trilogy.

April
Old 08-24-2020, 04:55 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk On You (View Post)
I still never finished that trilogy.
Am trying to do that now only the 1st book, so am into new now with the 2nd book
Old 08-24-2020, 08:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

I liked Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices but don’t feel the desire to keep reading the new books in that world.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Same. I just couldn't really get into that series.

April
Old 08-26-2020, 05:41 PM
Fan Forum Star

I was into it when I read it. But 9 books in that world is enough for me . I’ve moved on.
Old 08-27-2020, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Lord of Shadows Cassandra pulled HUGE cliffhanger
Closed Thread   Post New Thread