Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2020, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Book Reviews #2: A review is like a recommendation

Book Reviews

Here is a place to post your reviews on books you've read. Please be mindful of possible spoilers... we don't want to give away too much for those who are currently reading the book, or plan to.

Previous threads:
Old 07-18-2020, 08:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
I have at least 2 books in mind that would receive zero.
Which two?
Old 07-18-2020, 08:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

TFTNT

Quote:
Which two?
Quiet Dell by Jayne Anne Phillips
Dark Aemilia: A Novel of Shakespeare's Dark Lady by Sally O'Reilly

And now looking at my list I see there's also
On the Road by Jack Kerouac
Marked by P.C. Cast, Kristin Cast
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway
Old 07-18-2020, 08:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

I didn’t like The Bell Jar either.

And based on the one Hemingway book I read in school A Farewell to Arms, I don’t like his writing.
Old 07-18-2020, 08:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Both were soooooo boring and unmemorable, imo.
Old 07-19-2020, 01:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yea. I remember no important details about either one. Their lasting impressions is that it was a waste of my time.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I wish school gave me more interesting things to read. I hear about other classes reading interesting books and I don't know why I didn't get them.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yea, I couldn’t tell how the books were chosen. Was it decided by the teacher? By the reading level of the class? IDK. Maybe both.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I think the head of the departments chose.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
I didn’t like The Bell Jar either.

And based on the one Hemingway book I read in school A Farewell to Arms, I don’t like his writing.

I hated A Farewell to Arms. Took me forever to get through it.

April
Old 07-20-2020, 08:46 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Makes you think, if people like Hemingway can be iconic then we all certainly can be because I bet our writing is a trillion times better.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk On You (View Post)
I hated A Farewell to Arms. Took me forever to get through it.
I’m not alone!
Old 08-01-2020, 07:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Ashes to Fire (Woodwalker, #2)
by Emily B. Martin

Quote:
An adult fantasy tale that will surely resonate with young adult readers, Ashes to Fire is the story of a queen's desperate journey to secure peace, and the even greater journey to discover herself. Ashes to Fire is the captivating and adventurous follow-up to Emily B. Martin’s Woodwalker—once more with cover art by the author!

“You are a country.”

Those words have been the guiding force behind Queen Mona’s every move since she was a little girl—the idea that all her actions and desires were, first and foremost, decided based on what was best for Lumen Lake. It had kept her alive after the Alcoran invasion, it had driven her to retake her country, and now it is the steely resolve she needs to finally confront the despotic Seventh King, Celeno.

But when her diplomatic mission finds herself on the run through the swamps of Cyprien—accompanied by the unlikeliest group of companions—Mona discovers that while she is her country, she is also someone who has been sheltered by principles and bound by past mistakes. Now she must struggle to reshape her view of the world and face intimate new truths—not only for the good of her country, but for herself, as well.
I enjoyed the first book of the trilogy, Woodwalker, so much that I borrowed the second and third book from the library (as soon as some branches reopened for pick up and drop off.)

I really loved this second installment.

We got to see more world development with Cyprian culture, religion and politics. I was reminded of the bayou in New Orleans, especially since the Cyprian names sounded French. The Alcoro names sound Italian. But this world is not set in our world. It's a fictional fantasy world.

Queen Mona's journey was well done. She learned to trust others and learned from her mistakes.

I loved Mona's slow burn romance with Rou. I was engrossed by Rou's backstory. Without giving anything away I was heartbroken by the events at the climax of the story.

I was also interested in Queen Gemma's story. There was enough mystery planted there to get me excited for the third book from her POV. I want to know more about her marriage to King Celeno, and the Prophecy. Mona and Gemma also has a slow burn friendship forming. I can't wait to see what happens.

I did miss having Mae around, but when she was present I loved her scenes. She gave some great advice to Mona on matters of love and country.

I feel this trilogy is a hidden gem and am now a fan of Emily Martin's work.

5 out of 5 Fires.

Favorits Quote:
Page 346 - "Know why I spin poi, Mona? All those mornings? 'Cause I'm all dark inside. Maybe if I surround myself with the Light, it'll flare back up someday."
Old 08-01-2020, 07:21 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Always love when great books that aren't well known or promoted are found.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yea.

It was a good idea for Harper Collins to put Woodwalker in that Mystery Box at Comic-Con.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread