Remember Me?
Register

New Forum Poll   |     Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2017, 08:00 AM
Fan Forum Star

Friend Request by Laura Marshall.

I thought this was gonna be a action packed thriller, but I found it quite slow paced and not what I was expecting. The plot was.. alright I suppose but I found myself getting bored in the flashbacks and wanted something to happen.
The reveal was predictable really

3 stars.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

These are books I read/gave thoughts to over the last few weeks or so.

The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh – After hearing all the hype about this book I sadly ended up not liking it. I was so excited about it because it sounded so interesting, but I didn’t believe in the romance. After a few nights of storytelling she started to get a flutter in her stomach? The guy who has killed her best friend and countless others? :\ They barely talked or had moments that would make this relationship grow. It just felt flat to me. It was all talk about her strength and no show. It wasn’t a bad read, but I have no desire to read the sequel. **

Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo – I really like the writing style of this book. I wished it was fleshed out a bit more. The characters were fine, but didn’t fall in love with them. There were some moments were it got…I guess I should say a bit slow, but from that I went through it pretty quickly. Those last few chapters really kept my eyes glued. I don't really have any desire to read the sequels. **1/2

Also I know some spoilers about the next few books, but I’ll talk about them under tags.

Spoiler:

The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan – This was a tough one to figure out what grade I was going to give it. It was an easy going read, finished it in a day, with some great characters and development, but the story overall fell a flat and was a bit slow especially in the middle. The last few chapters were great. So on one hand some great characters on the other not a very compelling story. Though I loved the characters the story not being strong enough pushed me to give it a three and half stars. I will read the sequel for sure. *** ½

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer – I wasn’t planning on reading this book any time soon, but I saw it as I browsed my library and thought what the heck. I got over hundred pages into the book and couldn’t get into it. I’m just not a fan of the writing style or the way this author writes characters. It’s been DNF. :/

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien – I should have waited before I wrote that bit about detail in my review of The Fellowship of the Ring. LOL This book had some paragraphs with too much detail about the landscape. Other than that I thought it was a good read. Not as good, in my opinion as the first one even with those two chapters. Reading these books I wouldn’t blame the fans of them being a bit tiffed with the way that some characters were portrayed in the films namely Pipin and Theoden. Also some of the criticism of the book is warranted in regard to how he wrote women, which the book had little to nothing on them and some of the undertones regarding race as well. He’s wonderful with words and the story is layered and intriguing. I give this book four out of five stars. So far I wouldn’t say these are some of my favorite books I’ve read, but they are well written. ****

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon – This was a really sweet book, such a lovely romance. I loved how the author gave us both their point of view. I did want to strangle Dimple sometimes. LOL There was some storylines parts that seem contrived, but overall I enjoyed it. I definitely check out some of her other books when they are released. *** 1/2

Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin – The premises was so intriguing and I think it lived up to it. I really, really liked this book. It kept me on the edge of my seat. Some of the moments were gut wrenching. I liked how the book was formatted and written. I enjoyed the characters, the layered they had where you didn’t know who to trust. You couldn’t help caring about some in way you maybe shouldn’t, and how things aren’t black and white. Yael is such interesting character and I loved how we delved into her past to get more understanding of her present. There were parts that got a bit slow, but I might have been because I was reading when I was a bit tired. lol There is a twist that I’m not 100% how I feel about right now. Overall a GREAT read. I’m definitely going to read the sequel. ****

Blood for Blood by Ryan Graudin – One the hardest pills to swallow is the bitter feeling of being let down by a sequel in a series and it ruining the previous books to different degrees. That’s the feeling I felt when I read this book. What a complete letdown. There were plots I didn’t care about and one that I did not like how it played out or ended. Also the dumbing down of the main character. I speed read/skimmed the last chapters. I was so disappointed. **

Lost Stars by Claudia Gray – I was so excited about this book being a Star Wars fan and I’ve heard some great things about it. I liked the writing style, but it ended there. The characters from this book especially one of the main characters were ridiculously stupid especially Ciena. The writer was clearly trying to give a grey layered effect to the story and characters, but all it did was make me cringe and gag at the way it tried to excuse or make sympathetic Ciena. The poor and contrived excuse for her choices. The way that they tried to justify genocide and slavery. Don’t even get me on the love story they’re trying to sell, which was lackluster and underdeveloped. It was just poorly written. I couldn't finish this book. DNF Also after reading another Star Wars book a few years back that was painfully boring and reading this book I think I’m done with Star Wars books. DNF

Steve Rogers
Thor | Clark Kent | Daisy Johnson
December 1 - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | 2018 - Cloak & Dagger
{Tara} | Icon | Profile Icon; Mandy

Last edited by *OldHollywoodStarlet*; 09-30-2017 at 07:11 PM
*OldHollywoodStarlet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

You read Scarlet without reading Cinder? I do wonder if that is part why you couldn't get into it

Yeah I didn't like Wrath and Dawn either, but I have the sequel, and her new book because she was at Book Con and I got them signed. So I may try the first book again.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:02 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No, I read it before Scarlet. I didn't care for it, but I heard the books got better, so I thought I give the next book ago because I saw it at my library.

Steve Rogers
Old 10-06-2017, 06:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Ahh, right. That's fair enough.
Old 11-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The Diviners by Libba Bray - ….I liked the writing style and the premise of the book, but it got all sucked down by its length, which made the book boring quite a few times, and it had one of the worst protagonist. A selfish, self-center, spoiled, frivolous, immature, and annoying character that made me rant and roll my eyes. I also didn’t like how the book was trying to make me feel sorry for her after her poor behavior, as though those she hurt were in the wrong. I like flawed characters, but this when beyond flawed. She’s not the only one who acts like she’s better than anyone else either. Also there were too many characters and to many directions. It could have been cut down and made into two books. Either way that one character really turned me off. I’m surprised I finished it. * ½

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness – I really wanted to like this book. I loved A Monster Call and was excited about the film with Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley, but in the end it was some hits and a lot of miss. The main narrator was interesting, the mystery was a bit interesting, and don’t get me started on Manchee.
Spoiler:
In the end though the mystery was a bit flat, the journey became a bit boring and felt a bit what’s the point, like some of it could have been cut. I didn’t really believe in the relationship between Todd and Viola either. I didn't think they had a deep connection like the book wanted me to believe in the end. Also the villain was ridiculous. The conclusion didn’t make me want to get to the next book. * ½

The Weight of Feathers by Anna-Marie McLemore – This book was weird, slow, and boring. I mean I love corky, but this wasn’t the good kind of corky for me. I was really close to DNFing the book, but it seems to pick up when I was going to stop. In the end I just couldn’t connect with it, the characters or the romance. * *

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir – I liked the writing style. That’s pretty much it. I didn’t care for the world building or lack of, I didn’t care either way for the characters except for minor ones, and the romance of any kind was flat and forced. Even with the action it was a bit dull. It was also unnecessarily graphic. * *

The Warrior Heir by Cinda Williams Chima - I don’t need every book I read to be massive world building or something completely new, some of those books don’t always end up the best. I can watch/read certain story types/arc over and over again as long as the execution is done well and I care about the characters.
This book sort of lands somewhere in the middle for me because on one hand the characters weren’t memorable, lack depth, and the story was filled a trove of clichés and old story lines that really didn’t give a refreshing new look at it, but at the same time it was a fun read. The writing style wasn’t bad either. Do I have plans to read the sequels? No, but if I’m up to wanting a easy going read I’m might pick them up. * * ½ I have heard her other series is way better, so I think I’ll read the first book in that one.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman, Henning Koch (Translator) – The book is heart wrenching, charming, and funny. Ove is a grumpy character that you can’t help loving along with the nuisance (as Ove might call him) the cat. It’s a very character driven book than a plot driven. It’s well written.
It’s a solid * * * ½ I would read more of this author’s work.
If you don’t mind being spoiled I feel a need to mention this trigger warning.
Spoiler:

The Trials of Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor #1) by Jessica Townsend – A sweet and charming book that was slow at some places. It did go over some familiar story elements ala Harry Potter and Percy, but it also had a few surprises. It ended up being a whimsical read with potential. I’m going to read the next book in the series. Solid * * * 1/2

Letters to the Lost by Brigid Kemmerer - What a wonderful book. Well-developed flawed characters, good writing, intriguing story premise, and it’s well paced. It’s such a moving story about lost, complex relationships, and coming to terms with life. I liked both of the main characters who were connected in a wonderfully entwined way. I loved how their journey through the book was written and the deep relationship they developed. The side characters were also very interesting and added to the main characters and the story. I give this book four out five stars.* * * * I can't wait to read the companion book.

Steve Rogers

Last edited by *OldHollywoodStarlet*; 11-05-2017 at 09:40 PM
Old 11-07-2017, 08:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sorry you didn't like The Diviners and Ember in the Ashes. Love those books. But I get what you mean about The Diviners being huge