Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2019, 05:12 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I am 20% into Dark Age
Old 10-01-2019, 09:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...2-here-and-now

Just read this series.

I was really intrigued. I liked the first book the best. The other two...just wasn't the same.

My only problem was Hanna was going back and forth between the two guys way too much. The reason why she decided to get engaged..well... I understand that is who is she, trying to make everyone happy. But something like that you have to do what your heart ones.

April
Old 10-02-2019, 06:54 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Never heard of the series, but the synopsis sounds intriguing.
Old 10-05-2019, 04:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It was a fun read.

April
Old 10-13-2019, 04:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

Bruja Born by Zoraida Córdova

Lula Mortiz may be a bruja with healing powers, but after her family's battle in Los Lagos, she feels broken in a way she can't seem to fix. Then tragedy strikes when a bus crash leaves her friends and her boyfriend, Maks, dead. Desperate to reclaim normalcy, Lula invokes a dark spell to bring Maks back. It isn't until she hears that all of the bodies from the crash have gone missing that she realizes something is wrong. Lula has unwittingly raised an army of casi muertos--creatures between the living and dead--and they're hungry for freedom...which they can only achieve if Lula dies.

I liked the first book, Labyrinth Lost, in the Brooklyn Brujas series so much that I immediately bought book 2. Now that we are close to Halloween I included Bruja Born in my challenge for the month: creepy, supernatural reads.

I enjoyed the second book as much as the first. There was a good balance between the relationships, the magic and mythology and the action of the story. The pacing was good too. I never felt that it was being too cryptic or lingering too long on a particular scene.

Once again I loved the family dynamics, especially between the sisters. I loved the way that the supernatural world mixed with the contemporary setting of Brooklyn. I love that this was set in Brooklyn. It was so easy to picture.

I love that the world expanded in this story with the introduction of new characters and organizations. I was really amused by the humor from the characters too. I love McKay, Frederik and Rhett.

The action was fun and exciting. I liked this spin on the casimuertos. They are like zombies but aren't brainless. And they don't desire brains. A small critique I have is I didn't understand how they turned others into casimuertos. It's not that important but I was just curious.

Also, I did miss Rishi. I understand that the cast of characters was big enough and so it was easier for her to be away, but I still missed her presence.

The ending certainly did leave it open for the next book and I am very much looking forward to it.

4 out of 5 Hearts
Old 10-20-2019, 04:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Carrie by Stephen King, narrated by Sissy Spacek.

Quote:
Carrie knew she should not use the terrifying power she possessed… But one night at her senior prom, Carrie was scorned and humiliated just one time too many, and in a fit of uncontrollable fury she turned her clandestine game into a weapon of horror and destruction…
I had seen the movie years ago and it’s a classic film. The adaptation is close to the book, but the book is still better. Since I listened to The Shining and Doctor Sleep last year for my October books I wanted to keep the Stephen King tradition this October with Carrie.

I really liked the way it was told through many points of view, especially through articles and testimonies. The one thing that did annoy me was that there are no chapter breaks.

Even though it is a horror story, and certainly the events that take place are horrific, I was not frightened like I was with The Shining. I didn’t literally jump out of my seat.

If anything I was more angry. Angry at the bullies, at the school authorities, at Carrie’s mother, Margaret. And I was especially angry with Chris Hargensen and Billy Nolan. By the way, I pictured Billy Hargrove (Dacre Montgomery) from Stranger Things as Billy Nolan because they are both super A-holes characters.

I was sympathizing with Carrie and I just wanted to rescue her from the disgusting and poisonous people in her life.

I read somewhere that the book was banned in school libraries. Interesting, because I think this should be given to high school students as warning to not bully the odd kid because that odd kid will snap and you will be sorry! Instead show compassion and be more inclusive.

It was awesome to hear Sissy Spacek narrate the story. Although I did cringe when she said the word “roof” with her southern accent.

This is my favorite quote from the book and even though it is morbid, it is poetic:

“Kenny’s brother slid between the slats, lifted the pig’s head toward the moon – the glazing eyes regarded the crescent with rapt blankness – and slashed.”

4 out of 5 Proms.
Old 10-26-2019, 08:03 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Plot:

Zachary Ezra Rawlins is a graduate student in Vermont when he discovers a mysterious book hidden in the stacks. As he turns the pages, entranced by tales of lovelorn prisoners, key collectors, and nameless acolytes, he reads something strange: a story from his own childhood. Bewildered by this inexplicable book and desperate to make sense of how his own life came to be recorded, Zachary uncovers a series of clues--a bee, a key, and a sword--that lead him to a masquerade party in New York, to a secret club, and through a doorway to an ancient library, hidden far below the surface of the earth.

What Zachary finds in this curious place is more than just a buried home for books and their guardians--it is a place of lost cities and seas, lovers who pass notes under doors and across time, and of stories whispered by the dead. Zachary learns of those who have sacrificed much to protect this realm, relinquishing their sight and their tongues to preserve this archive, and also those who are intent on its destruction.

Together with Mirabel, a fierce, pink-haired protector of the place, and Dorian, a handsome, barefoot man with shifting alliances, Zachary travels the twisting tunnels, darkened stairwells, crowded ballrooms, and sweetly-soaked shores of this magical world, discovering his purpose--in both the mysterious book and in his own life.
I was lucky enough to get an ARC of Starless Sea when I went to NYCC. I loved Erin Morgenstern's first book, The Night Circus, and have been waiting for her to write another one for what feels like forever.

She did not lose her touch. Erin still has the ability to create magical, very descriptive and beautiful-sounding worlds. I want to get lost in the underground harbor in this book. I want to curl up in a corner and read all the books piled high in the rooms she described.

The Starless Sea is a book that can have countless sequels and prequels because it has so many details in it and short stories, and there weren't enough pages to delve into all of it.
Spoiler:

I'd read every sequel and prequel.

There are fairy tale asides that are put between each chapter, which I enjoyed. It takes a while to see how they're relevant to the plot, but eventually it makes sense. My favorite story was the one with the Moon and Sun. Because it takes awhile for the fairy tale asides to connect to the larger story, I'll have to do re-reads to absorb all the details.

I do have to say, I wasn't really feeling the romance between Dorian and Zachary. The two of them falling in love happened too fast. They didn't have enough experiences together for me to be a full blown shipper. But I did like their characters.
Old 10-27-2019, 07:37 PM
Fan Forum Star

I am really excited to read it after I am done with Dracula.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:22 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I'm glad you're not going to put it off for months and months .
Old 10-28-2019, 08:35 PM
Fan Forum Star

I’m trying to be more on the ball with ARCs.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

No tv or internet at night if you want to get books finished.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:23 PM
Fan Forum Star

I’ll have to cut down and plan my schedule.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Fan Forum Legend

It's a good thing we only picked up one new show.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That book does sound interesting.

April
Old 11-03-2019, 07:46 PM
Fan Forum Star

I am starting it tomorrow!
Closed Thread   Post New Thread