Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 PM
Elite Fan

I know i mentioned it before, but I never see anyone talking about it and the Gallagher Girls series by Ally Carter is amazing.

Here is a synopsis for the first book from good reads
Quote:
ammie Morgan is a student at the Gallagher Academy for Exceptional Young Women, a fairly typical all-girls school-that is, if every school taught advanced martial arts in PE and the latest in chemical warfare in science, and students received extra credit for breaking CIA codes in computer class. The Gallagher Academy might claim to be a school for geniuses but it's really a school for spies. Even though Cammie is fluent in fourteen languages and capable of killing a man in seven different ways, she has no idea what to do when she meets an ordinary boy who thinks she's an ordinary girl. Sure, she can tap his phone, hack into his computer, or track him through town with the skill of a real "pavement artist"-but can she maneuver a relationship with someone who can never know the truth about her?
The books are actually better then they sound, and even if you read the first one, I'd Tell you I Love you but then I'd have to Kill you. , and don't find yourself all that engaged, read the second book because the story almost completely changes, in a way the first book is almost kind of on it's own.

Another book I liked is My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares (of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants fame).
Quote:
Daniel has spent centuries falling in love with the same girl. Life after life, crossing continents and dynasties, he and Sophia (despite her changing name and form) have been drawn together-and he remembers it all. Daniel has "the memory", the ability to recall past lives and recognize souls of those he's previously known. It is a gift and a curse. For all the times that he and Sophia have been drawn together throughout history, they have also been torn painfully, fatally, apart. A love always too short.
The only thing about the book is it was written with (what I believe was) the intention of having a sequel, unfortunately nothing has come out of that yet, which makes me really upset. It's not perfect, but I found it pretty enjoyable and I think it definitely picked up where at the end I didn't want it to be over.
Ria
Pickle-weasel! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 01:09 AM
New Fan

"Easy" by Tammara Webber?

I just want to throw out there.. that is an amazing book especially for college students to read. So much romance and angst..

I am just imagining which actors/actresses they can cast if they ever made that into a movie.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Elite Fan

I'm currently reading Stephen King's "The Shining" and if you've seen the movie, you have an idea of what it's about, but the book is 20X better than the movie!

Definitely recommend reading the book!
Melissa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Elite Fan

I've been meaning to read more Stephen King soon, but I'll probably start with the Dark Tower series.

My brother really loved him, but has stopped reading his stuff from the last 10 years or so. He found it redundant. He also said that the Shining was far better and scarier than the movie.
Tomorrow's skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Elite Fan

The Shining book is definitely better than the movie!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Part-Time Fan

What is this book about? I'm a college student and I love to read some cool different books
JessieLiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieLiar (View Post)
What is this book about? I'm a college student and I love to read some cool different books
The Shining is a horror/thriller style book by Stephen King. It is a bout a family who goes to a a hotel for the winter months to maintain it during the months it is closed. While there, things happen and their son, Danny, has what they refer to as 'the shining'. He's like a medium of sorts. Weird things happen and the father retreats to previous behaviour of abuse and drinking and it all bubbles to the point of bursting.

It's a great read!
Old 09-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Elite Fan

Stephen King is great with thrillers. I also really like how he captures the atmosphere of his books. I think I'll try to read another book of his for around Hallowe'en
Old 09-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Elite Fan

I love "Misery", but one of his best, that is not really horror, more of a mystery read that is so good is "Dolores Claiborne".
Old 09-23-2012, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Star

I heard he is releasing a new book.
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Elite Fan

Probably, he releases a new book almost every year!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I just finished reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey and I thought the story was wonderful.

Quote:
Alaska, 1920: a brutal place to homestead, and especially tough for recent arrivals Jack and Mabel. Childless, they are drifting apart—he breaking under the weight of the work of the farm; she crumbling from loneliness and despair. In a moment of levity during the season's first snowfall, they build a child out of snow. The next morning the snow child is gone—but they glimpse a young, blonde-haired girl running through the trees.

This little girl, who calls herself Faina, seems to be a child of the woods. She hunts with a red fox at her side, skims lightly across the snow, and somehow survives alone in the Alaskan wilderness. As Jack and Mabel struggle to understand this child who could have stepped from the pages of a fairy tale, they come to love her as their own daughter. But in this beautiful, violent place things are rarely as they appear, and what they eventually learn about Faina will transform all of them.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Fan Forum Star

That sounds cool.
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Elite Fan

Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor

Quote:
Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.

Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
For those who love contemporary fantasy and regular fantasy, this book blends the two. Kind of reminded me of a better version of: Mortal Instruments, Fallen, Hush Hush, etc.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:25 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I did enjoy that book. I'll be looking out for the sequel when it comes out.