Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2019, 08:13 PM
Fan Forum Star

I know I liked Benjamin Button 1,000x better than the book.

And Breaking Dawn.

Those ring any bells?
Old 10-23-2019, 04:05 PM
Moderator Support Team

Even tho there are some books that are better than shows or movies..

are you sleepy? wanna sleep?
is that what you want?

Steph/credit: My Kind Of Crazy
Old 10-23-2019, 04:54 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I have to think if there are any movies I liked better than the book.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:58 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrItAll (View Post)
I know I liked Benjamin Button 1,000x better than the book.

And Breaking Dawn.

Those ring any bells?

No. I'm sure I'll remember it eventually. Oh wait, I definately liked the Pride and Prejudice mini series from the 90s better than the book.

There's definately been a few books where I hated the movie. The number one that comes to mind is I Am Number Four.

April
Old 10-25-2019, 06:28 AM
Moderator Support Team

^ They have that movie?? I didn't know that..

is that what you want?

Old 10-25-2019, 09:01 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I Am Number Four? Yes. It was released not long after the book.

April
Old 10-27-2019, 04:13 PM
Moderator Support Team

Wow, I have no idea about that.. I try to remember that movie.. I gonna look for that one..

is that what you want?

Old 10-27-2019, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk On You (View Post)
No. I'm sure I'll remember it eventually. Oh wait, I definately liked the Pride and Prejudice mini series from the 90s better than the book.
I only saw the movie with Kiera Knightly and I love that version. It is so close to the book though that it is hard for me to say which I prefer.

I wrote up a little something about a panel I went to at NYCC.

New York Comic Con 2019 – Saturday, October 5

Join the Resistance! (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker)

Quote:
Join authors Delilah S. Dawson (Phasma; Black Spire), Justina Ireland (Lando’s Luck; Spark of the Resistance), Rebecca Roanhorse (Resistance Reborn), Kevin Shinick (Force Collector), and Ethan Sacks (Comics miniseries Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge; Allegiance) as they discuss their new Star Wars projects with moderator Ashley Eckstein. Each story chronicles crucial events that build to the finale of the Skywalker saga in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Featuring entertainment by audiobook narrator Marc Thompson.

Here are some of the highlights:

Marc Thompson kicked off the panel and read an excerpt from the upcoming Resistance Reborn.

Like at the Lucasfilm Publishing panel on Friday, Justina Ireland talked about Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Spark of the Resistance. The story is set on a new planet called Minfar and Lucasfilm wouldn’t let her use Ewoks so she created murder rabbits. She also spoke about the villain that is part of the First Order. Justina was in the military and the villain was based off every commanding officer she had.

Rebecca Roanhorse spoke about her first Star Wars book Resistance Reborn. She brought in characters from the games, comic books and some characters we have not seen for a while.

It’s about Poe’s journey to gain trust within the Resistance again after his mutiny in The Last Jedi. His mutiny got people killed so he can’t wipe the slate clean. He is carrying shame and needs to gain his confidence and the forgiveness from who is left in the Resistance.

That sounds like a big undertaking to me because he f-ed up big time. I wonder how this will translate to The Rise of Skywalker for those viewers who don’t read the books?

Allegiance by Ethan Sacks is a four issue comic book. In this series General Organa, Rey and Rose go to Mon Cala to find allies. Finn and Poe go on their own mission to replenish their supply of weapons.

The book that really perked my interest is Force Collector by Kevin Shinick and illustrated by Tony Foti.

Quote:
In this Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker young adult novel set just before The Force Awakens, a restless teenager sets out to discover what connection his mysterious Force powers have to the fabled Jedi and what the Force has in store for him.
Kevin was really funny. He said in March-April 1977 when the Star Wars trailer was on TV he tried to piece together what he thought the movie was about. He thought Darth Vader kidnapped a Princess, kept her in a castle and the sand creatures protected the castle and Luke was going to rescue her.

LOL, ok.

But it’s piecing together stories that led to his idea.

The way Kevin explained it is that the story takes place on a planet so far in the Outer Rim that they have never heard of the Force or the Jedi. This Force sensitive boy can’t explain what is happening to him. He gets these massive headaches because has the ability (like Quinlan Vos had) to touch objects and know their history. So his grandmother who heard rumors about the Force and Jedi tells him what she knows. But since the Jedi are gone she says that he needs to go out on his own and see what he can learn about the Force and the mythical Jedi by using his special ability with touching objects.

It is a standalone story with original characters but with flashes to famous scenes from the movies or comic books. It’s for people who know everything and people who know nothing about Star Wars.

If you watch 30 minutes in Kevin says how the writers are only told things on a need to know basis. After much nervousness he handed in his story. Then he got a call from Lucasfilm Publishing. Somehow he wrote a big section of Episode 9 into Force Collector. He had to rewrite it.

That is really cool and after The Rise of Skywalker is out I want to know what he got exactly right!

Black Spire by Delilah S. Dawson. Vi Moradi first appeared in Phasma. Her backstory is in Phasma so that should be read first.

Delilah didn’t know Vi Moradi would be a major character at the parks. That is very surreal for her. They filmed an interaction where Vi Moradi and Delilah meet. Delilah would fangirl and say, “Oh my God!” You can’t say that in Star Wars so she changed it to “Oh my gosh.”

Black Spire is like a tourist log to read before going to Galaxy’s Edge and then you will know where everything is.
The people of Batu are citizens on the edge of the galaxy and are neither Resistance or First Order, so they are still trying to find their allegiance.

Matt Martin from the Lucasfilm story group is in charge of keeping the continuity. He has a lot of it all in his head but has to double check his catalogue on his computer to make sure things don’t clash. There is a massive timeline for Galaxy’s Edge and leading to The Rise of Skywalker that gets broken down into the books these authors wrote.
The authors make the stories their own but are given a basic outline of what needs to happen. But still it’s their story and each book or comic book can be standalone. We don’t have to read them all.

Marc Thompson spoke about getting his start in audiobooks. He thinks he was cast to narrate Star Wars books because he had a background in animation and could do the voices. Then he had to learn how to do the rest of the book, like describing settings.

Here is a group shot of the panelists.

After the panel many fans walked up to Ashley, but the next panel was coming in so she lead us to a table right outside the room. She remembered me and my sister, which she super sweet. I told her I couldn’t hug her though because I had a cold.

This signing was not scheduled nor planned. It was only because everyone came up to her after the panel. A security guard came to protect Ashley.

Not sure this opportunity would happen and not wanting to carry a heavy book with me, I left From A Certain Point of View at home and I only had my photo from Celebration with me. She saw I had James Arnold Tyler’s signature. I told her I saw him yesterday. I then told her I was surprised Her Universe didn’t have any items at the ReedPop store. She said HU would next year but didn’t give an explanation why they didn’t have any this year.

Old 10-27-2019, 09:45 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I love the one withe Kiera in it too.

April
Old 11-02-2019, 08:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

The Phantom Menace.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:22 AM
Moderator Support Team

^ I remember that book!

is that what you want?

Old 11-03-2019, 07:49 PM
Fan Forum Star

I actually never read the novelization of The Phantom Menace. I only saw the movie.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:44 PM
Moderator Support Team

They have that movie? I didn't know that..

is that what you want?

Old 11-05-2019, 02:08 AM
Master Fan

For me it's pretty rare to prefer the movie/tv show over the book. One of the exceptions that comes to mind is Big Little Lies. I liked the book, but I really loved and preferred the tv series.
Old 11-05-2019, 05:01 PM
Moderator Support Team

Yeah, that's true..

is that what you want?

Closed Thread   Post New Thread