Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Book of the Month Nominations and Voting

Kim and I thought it would be fun to have a book of the month discussion.

We will be taking nominations and votes for the next week, and the discussion will begin on June 1st. So nominate and vote away.

My nomination is The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares.

Last edited by Soz; 05-20-2005 at 04:12 PM
Old 05-18-2005, 09:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I guess I'm confused about this topic..... what do you mean we nominate a book for a discussion? (I'm blonde okay )
Old 05-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Moderator Support Team

I'm not blonde but I'm confused too.

Do you mean like a book club? I can't really join in then....I've only read so many books. But I can bring food.

Okie fine, I won't join in unless I really have something to say.

Old 05-18-2005, 09:33 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

We are currently taking nominations for a book discussion. Everyone can nominate a book that they would like us to discuss and we are also taking votes. Whatever book gets the most votes wins and will be discussed next month.

I guess it's like a book club, but I've always heard it referred to as a book discussion and unlike say Oprah's picks, we (Kim and I) aren't just choosing a book for everyone to read. It's a democratic process where everyone can nominate and vote for books.

quarterly, we are discussing the book all throughout June, so you might have time to read it and join the discussion.

Last edited by Soz; 05-19-2005 at 01:02 AM
Old 05-19-2005, 08:02 AM
Master Fan

A good way of putting this is the "Book of the Month" club A book we all decide to read and discuss on a thread. Going into detail about certain plot lines, and character development. etc

One book I have been wanting to read for a while and one which looks like fun! Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire.

Here is what b&n online says about the book:

Quote:
Is this new land a place where magics really happen?

From Gregory Maguire, the acclaimed author of Wicked, comes his much-anticipated second novel, a brilliant and provocative retelling of the timeless Cinderella tale.

In the lives of children, pumpkins can turn into coaches, mice and rats into human beings.... When we grow up, we learn that it's far more common for human beings to turn into rats....

We all have heard the story of Cinderella, the beautiful child cast out to slave among the ashes. But what of her stepsisters, the homely pair exiled into ignominy by the fame of their lovely sibling? What fate befell those untouched by beauty . . . and what curses accompanied Cinderella's exquisite looks?

Extreme beauty is an affliction

Set against the rich backdrop of seventeenth-century Holland, Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister tells the story of Iris, an unlikely heroine who finds herself swept from the lowly streets of Haarlem to a strange world of wealth, artifice, and ambition. Iris's path quickly becomes intertwined with that of Clara, the mysterious and unnaturally beautiful girl destined to become her sister.

Clara was the prettiest child, but was her life the prettiest tale?

While Clara retreats to the cinders of the family hearth, burning all memories of her past, Iris seeks out the shadowy secrets of her new household—and the treacherous truth of her former life.

God and Satan snarling at each other like dogs.... Imps and fairy godmotbers trying to undo each other's work. How we try to pin the world between opposite extremes!

Far more than a mere fairy-tale,Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is a novel of beauty and betrayal, illusion and understanding, reminding us that deception can be unearthed—and love unveiled—in the most unexpected of places.

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Old 05-19-2005, 09:52 AM
Moderator Support Team

Hmmm...problem is....I'm a slow reader.

So many books I wanna read! So little time!

The suggestions so far are both good. If we are doing the travelling pants books, I can borrow the copy from my sis. If we are doing the ugly stepsister book, I'll need to put a hold at the library asap.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Master Fan

Hmm..I haven't read either book...but I would vote for the first book...being that the movie is coming out soon to theatres...
Old 05-19-2005, 11:04 AM
Master Fan

Can I nominate a book? Because I want to join.

Icon by Me.
~Deej is fine~
Old 05-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

i like this idea. I would like either of them.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Master Fan

Everyone is open to join

So far we have:

Travelling Pants 2
Conf. of a Ugly Stepsister 1

Cindy just let me know which one you want me to put your vote down for my dear and don't worry we will have the discussion open all of June and then start a new book in July!

Old 05-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Moderator Support Team

I will vote for Travelling Pants then.

1. It will take me some time to get the Ugly Stepsisters....may as well vote for that one in July.
2. My sis got a copy of this already that she could lend me.
3. I'm likely gonna have to see the movie with her anyway.
4. Errr....I forgot.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Courtney**
i like this idea. I would like either of them.
Hey Courtney which one would you like more?

So far we have

Traveling Pants 3
Conf. of an Ugly Stepsister 1

thanks!

We are going to keep voting open for a week. That way it will give people time to read the book that we all choose so we can start discussing it in June!

Old 05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I vote for Sisterhood too. Although my public library doesn't have it so I'll have to run to barnes and noble and get it.

Also, would it be possible for us to use whichever book comes in second for July just so some of us slow readers can get a jump start?

Now I'm excited for this.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Master Fan

Courtney that is a great idea! So yeah we will use whatever comes in second for July and then in mid June start the voting for August

Okies.. so now we are up to:

Sisterhood 4
Ugly Stepsister 1

Old 05-19-2005, 11:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

thank you...that way I'll make sure to have the book read.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread