Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Book Debate Thread #1: ""Is a twist less satisfying if you know it's coming? Is a twist that you can't predict symptomatic of bad construction?"

I saw an article about this a few days ago and it gave me an idea for this thread. So many opinions just about book genres and I wouldn't mind discussing them here.

ARE YA BOOKS GETTING TOO DARK OR EVEN A LITTLE TOO ADULT?

I'm not sure if they are getting a little too dark but I think some of them are a little bit too adult. I read the first few books a few years back and I was surprised at the content and the language of the book. I wouldn't let anyone under the age of 17 read them.

April
Drunk On You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

I don't think they are. I just think teens these days can handle a little dark and a little more adult in their YA books. I actually think it is good for YA books to have a little dark inside them, so not to have them too perfect.
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

With how even tv towards teens are showing more adult content it doesn't surprised me teen books are like that. I have younger siblings and my younger sister who likes to read is 15 and usually I'll let her read my books that I love...well I'm really protective about her. It's like I don't want her reading about this.

April
Old 06-09-2011, 11:42 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah. Sometimes you do want to protect someone close to you in particular themes that have been known in books these days.
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Elite Fan

If anything I think books (like most media) are getting watered down, or it's more about aesthetics than real issues.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:15 PM
Master Fan

I don't think they're getting too dark. I'm not even sure if they're darker now than they used to be. I remember reading some really dark books as a kid that looking back now I'm amazed didn't bother me more. Like House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer. That's about growing clones for the sake of harvesting organs and it's written for kids, not even YAs. I think darkness is just apart of telling a literary tale.

Captain Ewevs: "You!? But we killed you!"
Boba Fett: "Yes, you killed me. And that made me very, very angry."
FreedomsBullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think it really depends on which you read like I wouldn't allow a tween to read the Privelege or Private series those I believe are for older teens. However, there are some teen series that seem to be pretty light like the Princess Diaries so again like with all books some books are dark and some aren't basically
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Master Fan

That's true, it's really up to the individual book and reader. Some people can handle stuff that others can't, for various reasons.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox24 (View Post)
I think it really depends on which you read like I wouldn't allow a tween to read the Privelege or Private series those I believe are for older teens. However, there are some teen series that seem to be pretty light like the Princess Diaries so again like with all books some books are dark and some aren't basically
I haven't read Privileged or Private series but I'm sure they are probably similar to Gossip Girl. Usually when I think about what teens should be reading I consider if I would let my younger sister read it (she's 15 at the moment). But then again that doesn't always work I've always been over protected of my younger siblings. My other sister is almost 3 years younger than me but I'm more protected of the 15 year old. When I think back to what I was reading or even doing at 15/16 and think about her doing them I would kill her.

Also I think it could vary from person to person. I know my mom would of killed/freaked out on me if she knew what I read at a young age. But I was always very mature for my age.

April
Old 06-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Also I think it could vary from person to person. I know my mom would of killed/freaked out on me if she knew what I read at a young age. But I was always very mature for my age.
It's just the kind of thing a person (or a person's parents ) has to decide.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:34 AM
Passionate Fan

Oh I love debates!!!

Well my opinion is that generally, there ARE YA books that are becoming more suitable for adults, however there are some that aren't. I think the genre is starting to be become more popular with older people though and that's why. Also, a lot of books for young people that have expletives in it have produced the same book with out it anyway.

Quote:
I just think teens these days can handle a little dark and a little more adult in their YA books.
Exactly. I think at one point teens were excited about milder YA novels, but as the years have gone by, the demand for something different has gone up and teens WANT darker novels.

Quote:
or a person's parents
Surprisingly, most people's parents (including mine when I was younger) are just happy to see their kids reading. Whether it's "darker" or not which is ironic considering it's a whole different matter when it comes to TV shows/movies.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Master Fan

Maybe we should also discuss why YA novels are or aren't getting darker?

Quote:
Surprisingly, most people's parents (including mine when I was younger) are just happy to see their kids reading. Whether it's "darker" or not which is ironic considering it's a whole different matter when it comes to TV shows/movies.
Good point! Mine never asked what my books were about, even when they were buying them.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Vruck (View Post)
I haven't read Privileged or Private series but I'm sure they are probably similar to Gossip Girl. Usually when I think about what teens should be reading I consider if I would let my younger sister read it (she's 15 at the moment). But then again that doesn't always work I've always been over protected of my younger siblings. My other sister is almost 3 years younger than me but I'm more protected of the 15 year old. When I think back to what I was reading or even doing at 15/16 and think about her doing them I would kill her.

Yeah but they are darker there are murders and disappreance in them
fox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Elite Fan

Murders and disappearances are broadcasted all over media, so I wouldn't really think that's "dark". However, if there was a torture scene or something, I'd definitely consider that dark.

Any one have a new topic?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:49 AM
Fan Forum Star

what are YA books??

I've got sunshine
on a cloudy day

Holly ©
kostilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread