Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

Book Adaptations #1: Movies, mini-series, televison--bringing books to life!

So I was just playing with imdb.com and I found out two really great books are in post and pre-production to become full length movies.

The first one is 'The Kite Runner' by Khaled hosseini. Its being directed by Marc Foster who has done, 'finding neverland', 'stranger than fiction', and 'Monsters Ball', which makes me think even though no one really famous is in it that its going to be pretty well done and do really well at film festivals. The only actor I've even heard of who's in this is Shaun Toub who was in a recent episode of 'Lost'. He played an Iraqi in France who promises a job to Sayid only to turn out to be the husband of a woman Sayid once tortured while working for Hussein.

Filming wrapped in December and 'Kite Runner' has an American release date set for November 2nd, 2007.

The second is 'Life of Pi' by Yann Martel which is set to be directed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet. He's a French director and his only American credit is Alien: Ressurection. I was actually hoping they would have had Shamylan direct this one but guess not.

As of January, 'Life of Pi' is in pre-production and is set for release in 2009.

Last edited by Tomorrow's skies; 02-22-2011 at 08:19 PM
Old 04-05-2007, 04:21 AM
Master Fan

When I heard about Kite Runner, I knew that was going to be turned into a movie. It just sounded like it would be. I hope it keeps true to the book.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Extreme Fan

I don't think I've ever heard of the book Kite Runner. Is it good? I think I wanna check it out sometime.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Eegads, I just can't picture Life of Pi as a movie. I think it's impact, espcially the ending is going to be ruined by translating it to the big screen. Ick.

Mandy
Old 04-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorkette (View Post)
I don't think I've ever heard of the book Kite Runner. Is it good? I think I wanna check it out sometime.
Dorkette, I read that book last year and loved it. I couldn't put it down. Especially with the relevance today of so much international interest being placed in the Middle East, it was interesting to read a story that was more concerned with daily life and emotions than war and bombs. I really enjoyed it and will probably read it again sometime over the summer.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:40 AM
Part-Time Fan

I think that they're also doing a movie on the time travelers wife by audrey niffenegger... I saw it on imdb i'm excited! I hope they don't change too much though coz I think it will be difficult to translate some stuff into film...

Bones [Booth/Brennan] ~ Everyone's a Shipper!
Old 04-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy_kiss (View Post)
I think that they're also doing a movie on the time travelers wife by audrey niffenegger... I saw it on imdb i'm excited! I hope they don't change too much though coz I think it will be difficult to translate some stuff into film...
im really happy becaouse the story is amazing
but also agree some stuff in the book will be really hard to translate into the movie
also the casting will be extremble important
Old 09-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Master Fan

List of Books Made into Movies

There were tons that I didn't even know about... Then there were the obvious ones...
Old 09-13-2007, 06:14 AM
Master Fan

That's an awesome list!
Old 09-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Supreme Fan

I actually liked the movie version of S. E. Hinton's The Outsiders. It was gritty and raw which is what it felt like it should have been when I was reading the book. I'm also very interested in the movie version of The Other Boleyn Girl, with Scarlett Johansson and Natalie Portman. I think that will be an interesting film as well.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Obsessed Fan

The Giver has been in pre-production for so long, it's getting on my nerves. It was one of my favorite books when I was younger and have really wanted to see it on the big screen...hopefully one day it'll get made.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Part-Time Fan

Did any of you see any of the V.C. Andrews's books movies? They were both dreadful, in my opinion! FITA sucked big (the movie, that is)! Rain is...so-so. I just watched the trailers, but a friend of mine actually rented it. From the trailers, I can already noticed they made many changes from the book! Anyway, I'll try to watch it and see...

One I really like is the adaptation of Ian McEwan's The Cement Garden. Very intriguing and haunting, just like the book.

Visit http://fernando-muslera.com/ Daily drooling guaranteed.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:22 PM
New Fan

Hey guys. I saw there were a few Kite Runner fans like me on this thread and I wanted to let you all know about this really cool contest that they're doing for the movie adaptation which comes out on November 9 (can't wait!!). Basically the contest is you create a club and you win cooler stuff with the more members you have in your club, so you're basically trying to recruit as many members as possible. I created the Greater Minnesota Frozen Kite club and I’d LOVE to have as many members as possible, even if you’re not from Minnesota There are prizes for different levels of the clubs but the big one is if my club gets 200 members or more, I’m eligible to actually meet and have dinner with Khaled Hosseini!! This would be just awesome to win, so I’m trying to spread the word as much as I possibly can haha! The site is www.kiterunnermovie.com/club or if you just wanna find my group you can go here http://www.kiterunnermovie.com/club/...ation&mode=asc and scroll down until you see Greater Minnesota Frozen Kite. You can click on the right of it to join, so I hope many of you do! Thanks everyone!!
Old 09-18-2007, 01:22 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
I actually liked the movie version of S. E. Hinton's The Outsiders. It was gritty and raw which is what it felt like it should have been when I was reading the book.
I love that movie! I thought they did a great job turning the book into a movie, which so rarely works. Plus, the casting was amazing.
Old 09-19-2007, 05:12 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by candygurl1718 (View Post)
I love that movie! I thought they did a great job turning the book into a movie, which so rarely works. Plus, the casting was amazing.
Yeah, it really was. It was before Hollywood took over them. Half of the cast from that movie that I loved then I can't stand now. But they were good for that movie, and I can watch it for that reason.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread