Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM
Elite Fan

ATTN: Book Club.. Read last post. Suggestions are welcomed.

We've been noticing the decrease in participation/interest and would like the Book Clubs to continue in success, but if they're no longer desired we can discontinue them for now.

OR we can go about them differently.

~Perhaps have more reading selections and up to three different threads for them? (Like if a genre was chosen, each 'camp' could choose a sub-category for it. Maybe preferring a romantic angle, others may choose a more action-oriented story. Or it could even be separated by having a male or female lead, etc.)
~There's also a possibility where we choose a lot of key ideas and it's the reader's option what to read and then the discussion thread (without spoilers) people could say why they chose that book and kind of grade it?

We're at your mercy of what you'd like to do
Tomorrow's skies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for doing this, Amy.

Yes guys.. we would like your input on what you want to do.

Last edited by Stay to the Lights; 07-04-2012 at 07:20 PM
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Elite Fan

I like both of the alternative ideas but I think I like the first idea the best. And yes there has been a lack of people involving but a couple months back we did one that was pretty popular *thinks* ah right The Selection. So I think it still shows there are people who want to be involved when its the right book choice, it just seems alot of people vote who either don't end up involved or as sometimes is the case with me, don't finish the book in time.
-Pammie

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
AtomicEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the feedback!

I agree about wanting to participate, but either not having time or just don't have interest in the selected book.

We had discussed splitting it before, but it seemed like it would be really complicated, and also there was the issue with only being able to top one thread (of a total of three) so two was going to be tricky.

But we're definitely willing to try different things and see what works best with board! And who knows sometimes a change is needed to liven things up a bit

I also wonder if we should extend the selection process so it's 2 weeks before the next month? (We typically tried for a week, or less) I know on goodreads plenty of groups choose 1-2 months ahead.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:56 PM
Elite Fan

yeah I think that would be better because recently we have had several times when the voting went into the actual month.

"One must always be careful of books," said Tessa,"and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us." -Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
[ICON CREDIT: sourburst]
AtomicEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 09:07 PM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah. I would think 2 weeks, to give people more time to vote.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Elite Fan

I like the idea of having different genre/categories for the book club.

Like maybe one could be "Classics" and classics only where we read authors like Austen, Bronte, Tolstoy, Poe, Joyce, Twain etc....

Second category could be for new release books like current popular reads of the moment such as EL James, Veronica Roth, Moening, etc...

And for the third, it could be the Genre category, where each month the genre is different. First month could be fantasy, next month, mystery, next, romance etc....

This is just my view and take on the book club idea.

ETA:

Even though there is a limit on topped threads, would it be possible to make a request of the Mod Managers to make an exception for the Books board?
Melissa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Elite Fan

We've tried before and we're only allowed three topped threads, the only 'extras' permitted are fanforum wide announcements like games and things

I feel like that idea may be a little too big for this board. We have trouble getting people to participate in one book, so I can't imagine three being that viable.. I don't know, I know there would be more choice there but I just can't see it lasting you know

We welcome all ideas though, so who knows what the board will like.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Fan Forum Star

Maybe the threads don't need to be topped?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Elite Fan

I definitely like the new possibilities

The biggest thing that keeps me from participating in book clubs is that I have a hard time getting books that aren't available at my library. It's rare that I can afford to purchase a book. So I like the idea of having different options
Old 07-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay to the Lights (View Post)
I figured they couldn't be, or we'd fluctuate and "focus" on one for awhile

Quote:
The biggest thing that keeps me from participating in book clubs is that I have a hard time getting books that aren't available at my library. It's rare that I can afford to purchase a book. So I like the idea of having different options
I concur!

I don't think I mentioned it here, but I really like the idea of seconding submissions before they are actually accepted like on goodreads. So maybe we could have a few key points that books need to fit for them to be accepted? Maybe be out for a certain length of time so they'd be more likely to be at a library, etc.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay to the Lights (View Post)
Yeah, it's not necessity that they be topped, but for the most part my non-participation is due to the genre of the book, or that I cannot get my hands on the books.

Having options is so much better. Or have one thread, and two books of the month, one could be classic, one newer, then we have options, and in some cases, you might get people who can and will read both.
Melissa Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Supreme Fan

I agree that my issue also is inability to get the books a lot of times (whether due to it being checked out, there being holds, my library not having it, or our library having it but it's not shelved correctly so no one can find it (which I just love ). Our library has a three-week hold on books, so if someone checks it out right before the beginning of the month, then the chances of me getting it before even halfway through are slim.

I also feel like part of the issue is timing - some people may have read the book before the month of the book club or may get it done right away and are ready to discuss while others may not be able to get it or read it until the end - it just makes discussion a little difficult

Maybe another option would be to do a bi-monthly book club (6 books each year)? So basically, we'd have a month to read it, then a month to discuss. It would drag it out a bit, but perhaps then we'd have a better chance of people being able to get the book during the actual book club time and there would be a set time for people to discuss it.

My issue with doing 2 or 3 options is that then you might as well be discussing it in the existing thread for that book rather than in the book club thread - we're going to end up having a lot of duplicate threads for books after a year of doing the book club that way.

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:53 AM
Elite Fan

Those are some good points, Gabriela

Although in some ways I don't really care where the discussion takes place as long as it happens so we could look into maybe spotlighting certain threads instead of doing a book club thread
Old 07-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomorrow's skies (View Post)
Those are some good points, Gabriela

Although in some ways I don't really care where the discussion takes place as long as it happens so we could look into maybe spotlighting certain threads instead of doing a book club thread
Ooh - that's a neat idea! I like the idea of spotlighting different books each month - I think the Couples board does that, right?

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Gabriela is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread