Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2004, 12:33 PM
Loyal Fan

Anyone participating in Nanowrimo?

Anyone here participating in Nanowrimo for 2004?
If you're not familiar with it, Nanowrino is National Novel Writing Month. During the month of November, crazy people dive in and try to see if they can complete a 50,000 word novel during the 30 days of this month. It's very fun and a great motivational tool to get you to write if you've been procrastinating. It's not too late to sign up, as it just began yesterday!
Nanowrimo
Old 11-02-2004, 04:38 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I was considering it for this year, but I'm having work done on my apartment (which was supposed to be done weeks ago, grr) so I really don't have the quiet time to write as much as I normally do. Also, I just know if I fall short, I'll mentally beat myself up about it. But just seeing discussions about it has inspired me to write more than usual lately.
Old 11-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Fan

I've never heard of that before, I'm not well enough to write that much but it sounds really cool. What happens to all the novels afterwards?
Old 11-02-2004, 08:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

I never heard of that before. It sounds cool. I was never much of a writer so I know I won't be participating. I'm also interested to know what happens to all the novels afterwards?
Old 11-02-2004, 10:15 PM
Loyal Fan

You don't actually turn the novel in so no one reads it and it can be complete gibberish and not make any sense, although I doubt anyone spends that much time writing nonsense LOL
At the end of the month, you send in a word document and a script verifies the word count and then the files are dumped. Actual eyes never see it.

You don't have to be a good writer-- this is meant to be a fun thing to get people writing-- period. It's the running joke of the thing that it's quantity over quality. The main goal is to get words on paper....a very very very rough draft that you can always go back later and make into something, if you want.

I participated last year, but only made about 20,000 words because I got really busy, but it motivated to write more during the rest of the year.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:58 PM
Addicted Fan

I should do that, but November is a busy month. Would it be cheating to start with something that's already 23,000 words though?
Old 11-03-2004, 05:18 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Well, I decided to participate and I had a new idea just in time too. I got the main plot outlined a bit before the contractor returned from lunch. I'll work more tomorrow because I have to go to bed early tonight.
Old 11-03-2004, 09:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

I tried participating 2 or 3 years ago. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world when I first heard about it. But...it didn't work out. I was way too busy with school. This year is even worse, and to tell you the truth, I don't write as much as I used to, so I probably won't be doing it.

Last year, I just made a wallpaper promoting NaNoWriMo and left it at that.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
Old 11-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Loyal Fan

I did it! I actually wrote an entire 50,000 words in less than 12 days. I now have nearly 80,000 words, so I'm a winner of nanowrimo! Still have aways to go to finish the entire story, but I'm still writing...
Old 11-12-2004, 11:00 PM
Master Fan

Wow, that sounds like a fun thing to do! I wish I could participate but I neither have the time, nor the nationality to do so.
It's a funny concept though, to write a story that will never be read by actual eyes.
Old 11-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Loyal Fan

Oh, you don't have to be an American to participate! There are people from all over the world participating.

And I'm writing with the intention that alot of eyes will see this novel LOL
They just do the verification process that way so that no one can ever claim that someone stole their novel because human eyes don't read it
Old 11-14-2004, 09:09 AM
Master Fan

ok!
It's good to know that it's open to all nationalities, but I wish I had the time to participate. It really sounds fun.
Oh, and I'd love to hear about your own stories, guys.

Anne
Old 11-14-2004, 05:43 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I looked over the notes I had written for my NaNoWriMo novel and I just didn't want to write it anymore. I thought the story idea was terrible, so I thought all hope was lost. But then I had a great idea the other day, so I've been working on that a little bit. It's been difficult this week because my SO had Veteran's Day off and it's impossible for me to write when there are other people around.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Master Fan

I'm participating again this year! My word count is paltry so far, but as soon as I finish this blasted research paper rough draft (due today at 4:15!), I'll have more time to write what I want to write I'm actually feeling really good about my plot and my MC and her love interest (who appeared out of nowhere!).
Old 11-23-2004, 11:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I've never even heard of it. Good luck to everyone to does it!