Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2004, 04:09 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemurian
The cartoon series has been playing on PBS for a couple of years. It's called Sagwa, The Chinese Siames Cat, and it's really charming. Amy Tan created the character but didn't author every episode.
Thanks for linking to the site. The show looks cute, but unfortunately, they couldn't find any listings for my area. However, I did check the online catalog of my library and they have a tape of one of the episodes. So I'm going to request that, and possibly the book, too.

Just because I'm curious, for those of you who've read The Joy Luck Club, which of the stories was your favorite?

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 01:15 AM
Addicted Fan

I've seen the cat cartoon. It's very cute, but the animation isn't impressive. But I like Chinese stuff and I like cats, so it's fine.
Crossbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 10:41 PM
Elite Fan

Yah I've only read Joyluck Club. It was good though!
I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.
I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.I.
I.I.
SweetPea345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 03:42 AM
Elite Fan

I was just doing some searches at a book finding site and noticed the name of two Amy Tan books that I've never read.

Key of Light--Amy Tan leaves the realm of fiction in this collection of essays about her own life-and, specifically, about the part fate has played in it. In the process, she covers her Chinese-American childhood, her writing, and her travels with the all-writer rock band, the Rock Bottom Remainders.

The Opposite of Fate-- Amy Tan was born into a family that believed in fate. In The Opposite of Fate: A Book of Musings, she explores this legacy, as well as American circumstances, and finds ways to honor the past while creating her own brand of destiny. She discovers answers in everyday actions and attitudes-from writing stories, decorating her house with charms, learning to ski, and living with squirrels, to dealing with three members of her family afflicted with brain disease, surviving natural disasters, and shaking off both family curses and the expectations that she should become a doctor and a concert pianist.

Looks like I've got some titles to add to my list of books to read for 2005.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2004, 03:06 AM
Obsessed Fan

Hmm...I've never heard of Key of Light either. I'll have to look into that. The Opposite of Fate came out last year. It's sort of a biography. I liked reading it b/c you could see just how much of her novels come from her own life, and she has a great sense of humor, too.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Master Fan

My favorite was The Hundred Secret Senses

Icon by Periwinkles
froggiepopple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurian
The Opposite of Fate-- Amy Tan was born into a family that believed in fate. In The Opposite of Fate: A Book of Musings, she explores this legacy, as well as American circumstances, and finds ways to honor the past while creating her own brand of destiny. She discovers answers in everyday actions and attitudes-from writing stories, decorating her house with charms, learning to ski, and living with squirrels, to dealing with three members of her family afflicted with brain disease, surviving natural disasters, and shaking off both family curses and the expectations that she should become a doctor and a concert pianist.

Looks like I've got some titles to add to my list of books to read for 2005.
I saw that one in the bookstore yesterday. It looked really interesting.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:27 PM
New Fan

only read the "Bonesetter". Excellent, itneresitng book, that and the kite runner are my faves. guess i gotta hting with ther cultures.. . .
Bluemangoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 03:07 PM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemangoz
only read the "Bonesetter". Excellent, itneresitng book, that and the kite runner are my faves. guess i gotta hting with ther cultures.. . .
I love Bonesetter. That's my favorite. I probably mentioned that before, but I do really love it.

I think Amy Tan does a really great job of portraying the convergence of Chinese culture and American culture, usually in a mother/daughter-type story. The funny thing I've noticed is that almost all Chinese writers (including Amy Tan) tend to write about Chinese characters or Chinese culture. Has anyone else noticed that? It kind of annoys me, but I fully intend to change that someday.

Old 07-25-2005, 08:56 PM
Loyal Fan

The only book of her's that I've read is "The Hundred Secret Senses".

And I've seen some of that Sagwa show and it's pretty cute.
wiccagurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:24 AM
New Fan

AMY TAN thread

I'm currently reading "The Bone Setter's Daughter" and I'm enjoying it. Anybody else read this book? She's an awesome story teller. Interested to know: if you're a Tan fan, what's your favorite book?
fashionprincess7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:41 AM
New Fan

Ooops, sorry 'bout that!! I didn't realize we already have a thread going for her.
fashionprincess7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 11:49 AM
Master Fan

It is ok fashionprincess7 just please make sure you read the Bookstore thread which gives a list of all the Book Board threads I've merged the two threads together.

thanks!

icon by Ann - Shadowhunter
Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 09:54 PM
Obsessed Fan

Kim, thanks for merging the threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionprincess7
I'm currently reading "The Bone Setter's Daughter" and I'm enjoying it. Anybody else read this book? She's an awesome story teller. Interested to know: if you're a Tan fan, what's your favorite book?
My favorite is actually The Bonesetter's Daughter. If you read her memoir, you can see that a lot of it is actually true. I'm glad you're enjoying it; she is one of the best storytellers out there. Everything she writes feels real. Have you read her other stuff? Joy Luck Club is my second favorite.

Old 08-12-2005, 04:06 AM
Supreme Fan

cool! a thread for amy tan! I read the bonesetter's daughter some years ago and loved it so much that I read the joy luck club, and loved it too. The bonesetter's daughter is my fave. I've wanted to read the opposite of fate since it came out, but i don't like the cover, so I'm waiting until there's a new edition whose cover I like. This may sound stupid, but for me covers are almost as important as the book itself, and sometimes I've refused to buy books I've wanted because the outside was ugly.

I didn't know those cartoons were based on Amy Tan! I still watch them nowadays before my fave anime series starts in the afternoons
- Alex - is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread