Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Stars_And_Sunsets:
<STRONG>I'm looking for a sci-fi/fantasy rec.

I've never actually read one (except for the Harry Potter series) and I'm not exactly sure if I'm going to like them or not, but I've gotten bored with reading horror novels and I'm trying to read a different genre.

Can anyone suggest a good first sci-fi/fantasy novel for me to read that isn't too complicated?</STRONG>
I'd reccomend Diana Wynne Jones' Chrestomanci books, and basically anything by Robin McKinley except "Deerskin" and "Sunshine". (I liked Deerskin but wouldn't reccomend it to a first-time reader)
--Rachel
Old 04-23-2004, 11:05 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel:
<STRONG>I'd reccomend Diana Wynne Jones' Chrestomanci books, and basically anything by Robin McKinley except "Deerskin" and "Sunshine". (I liked Deerskin but wouldn't reccomend it to a first-time reader)
--Rachel</STRONG>
I've heard the Chrestomanci books are great, so I picked up an omnibus of all of the books. I'll probably read the first book soon.

I second that about not reading Deerskin first. I've heard too many horror stories about people trying it first and never trying anything else because they thought all of McKinley's books must be that dark.

I had to put So You Want to Be a Wizard down for now because I went to the library (like an insane person) and got the fifth Harry Potter book out. I never finished it last year and wanted to read it before the third movie comes out. But it's only a two week book, so I have to read it now.

[ 04-23-2004: Message edited Soz ]
Old 04-25-2004, 04:29 PM
jjt
Master Fan

see ya on the new thread
Closed Thread   Post New Thread