Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2004, 03:18 AM
Loyal Fan

Alice Series #1-Us Girls Are Goin' Through The Same Thing!

I love these Alice books by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. I'm reading "Alice Alone" right now. Does anyone else like these books? I love them, because they showcase what all teenage girls go through.
cutiepie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 08:33 PM
Elite Fan

Guilty pleasure.
Old 09-04-2004, 02:37 PM
Obsessed Fan

I loved these books when I was about 12, but I think I've outgrown them (I'm 17 now) b/c I haven't been too fond of the last few. I think the problem is that they're being written too slowly (I'm not complaining at all; I know how hard it is to write a book and Naylor has many other projects beside the Alice books. It's just that the series started in 1980 or something when Alice was about 12. Now she's still about 15 and it's 2004.)

But anyway, I still read the new ones even though I don't like the series anymore just because with a series like this, you sort of get attached to the characters.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 07:17 PM
Master Fan

I'm too old for these books but I love them anyway. Alice seems so real I wish I knew her.

jennarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

Alice Series: Alice McKinley Discussion

I noticed the other threads and I wanted to start this one

The Alice Series is about a girl names Alice Mckinley. Her mom died when she was only 5 years old, and has been looking for a role model ever since. Her Aunt Sally took care of Alice and her dad and brother after Marie (Alice's mom) died. Alice sometimes gets moments that either her Aunt Sally or Mom did mixed up alot, and that bothers her dad.

Her dads name is Ben McKinley and her brothers name is Lester McKinley. Alice and her family moved to Silver Springs when she was 10 or 11 years old. Her best Friends are Pamela Jones and Elizabeth Price, they've all known each other since they were in 6th grade, mainly when Alice first moved to Silver Springs. Her Ex Boyfriend is Patrick Long, his parents are diplomats so they have traveled alot. Patrick is a really sweet and very smart guy. I am hoping him and Alice get back together. One of the characters in the book, caused the break-up between Alice and Patrick, Penny. But her and Alice are friends now..it was hard at first t hen they were friends, then it seemed they were enemies, and now they are on good terms with each other

Elizabeth, one of Alice's BFF, is the shy girl of the group. She panics alot, but she along with Alice and Pamela, is a very fun character to read, and she def. makes the story intersting.
Pamela, Alice's other BFF, is the funny girl of the group. She keeps the books entertaining (along with Lester!), and that helps make the books more interesting. The books def. have a comedic side to them, that's one thing I love about these books!

Alice, is the in-between girl. I kinda think she is a mixed version of both Elizabeth and Pamela, but unique in her own way. She is the most interesting book character I have ever, ever read about because she is realistic. She faces the same problems all girls go through, and that's what I love the most, it keeps you hooked.

Alice other friends are:
Gwen
Karen
Jill
Mark
Penny
Brian
Amy

The Author of the book is Phyllis Reynold Naylor, who also wrote the Shiloh books and the Boys. vs Girls books.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:47 AM
Master Fan

I'm way too old for this series but I read it and love it anyway. Alice is a great kid.

I haven't read the latest one. I'm waiting for the paperback. I hope it's out this year.

I think she and Patrick will end up together in the last book. I've read that Phyllis Reynold Naylor already knows how it's going to end. I think them being together might be a little unrealistic but she's probably going to go for the happy ending to make the readers happy. Or maybe not. There's a lot of realism in the series so she might take it another way.

Old 01-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Part-Time Fan

Thanks for replying!!! U should read Inluding Alice, it's great!!!

I hope her and Patrick do end up together. Sometimes in the books I think there is forshadowing, events that could possibly happen when they're all older. The books are very real, Alice goes through alot of what all Teenage girls (like me!) go through, and that's why she is such a good role model for all of us!

There's nothing wrong with reading Alice and being too old for it, Phyllis keeps you hooked on them!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Christina*
There's nothing wrong with reading Alice and being too old for it, Phyllis keeps you hooked on them!
Yeah, I'm sticking with it because I want to finish the series but I only get them in paperback so I still have to wait for Including Alice. Have you read the books for younger kids? I skipped those.

I think Alice is a great role model. She's not fake or supposed to be perfect like some book characters are. She makes mistakes but she learns from them. I hope when I have a daughter she's like Alice.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:36 AM
Part-Time Fan

There's only 2 Alice books I have not read, and those are 2 of the 3 prequels: Starting With Alice (read it!), Lovingly Alice, and Alice in Blunderland.

I hope if I ever decided I wanted kids (I'm 14, so that's not on the brain right now, school and books are!) that if I had a daughter she'd be like Alice too. She's an awesome role model, I really look up to her

This is the newest Alice book cover, after Including Alice, Alice On Her Way:

I don't know the model's name, but if there were a Alice series she should play her. She fits the description of Alice
Old 01-13-2005, 05:58 PM
Master Fan

Thanks for the new cover. She is perfect for Alice. It's the same model they've been using for the past few books, isn't it?

Edited to add: I was just looking for the name of the model. I didn't find her but I found the American Library Association's list of 100 most frequently challenged books from the 1990s. The Alice series was #10!

Last edited by jennarose; 01-13-2005 at 06:08 PM
Old 01-14-2005, 02:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

I jeard about that. I don't see why people are trying to ban the Alice books, they're great books and they just talk about life and growing up. I don't see what's the big deal. Some kids don't have the strength to talk about 'certain stuff' with their parents, so they could just read the books.

Yup!!! That's the same model on every book, she has really grown too. I have every single Alice book, and all the books I have have the cover of her on it.

The models who are Pam and Lex, I am not too sure about considering HERE the model who is Pam has green eyes (you can really see but on another book cover I don't have scanned they're green), and HERE they are brown. The model who is Liz could be her everytime. I know for a fact that the models who are Alice and Patrick are them every time.

Patrick is HERE (he's cute!) and on another books cover. I'm hoping he pops up again on another book cover (a new one) but considering him and Alice aren't 2gether right now I don't know if that'll happen. But who knows they could get back together....
Old 01-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Master Fan

Some of my books are older (I bought them on ebay) and don't have her on the cover. It looks like a drawing. Have you seen those covers? I can scan them for you if you haven't.

Old 01-15-2005, 01:04 PM
Part-Time Fan

Like this?
<----I think that cover is hot!

I found this bigger too

I was wondreing if you noticed this too, do the models eyes change colors? They look blue there, and they look blue on another cover too. I dunno, they are always green, but sometimes they look blue to me, and they don't look like contacts.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:54 AM
Obsessed Fan

I read once that Alice is going to be old in the last book, like 70 or 80 or something. I don't know, I'll probably just skip the other books and read that one because I've really outgrown the books. I know it's not Reynolds fault b/c writing a book takes so much time, and she has so many other series and standalone novels, but I think it's been about 25 years since the first book came out.

And I always thought that Alice on the Outside cover looked really unnatural, but maybe that's just me. I really like the Alice on her Way one though. But they've re-vamped the covers like 10 times now.

VISIT FOR DESPAIR ∞ CURRENTLY ON HIATUS
22 Umbrellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 02:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

Hi Candy!!!

Alice will be 60 in the last book, so she can open the time capsule or something like that. I don't think she is going to kick the bucket That's good!

I like the Alice on her way cover too!