Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Supreme Fan

1000 places to see before you die Book discussion

Hello I like traveling and I've been to a few places so I was interested when I saw this book "1000 places to see before you die" when i saw it a barnes and nobel it was like almost $20, so i wasn't quite ready to buy it on the spot. I went home and read some reviews from amazon.com and quite a few of them thought of the book as "okay" not great not terrible. (Most people had issue with the fact that a lot of the restaurants and hotels are really expensive restaurants and hotels)

Has anyone here read the book? or does anyone know of any books similar to this one (listing lots of must see places around the world) that they like?

Thank you Lemurian
icon by: Bleeding_Muse
"Well he won't be so happy when he discovers his wife is a fruit-munching monster! -Merlin
Teriberri21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Loyal Fan

I bought the book for my best friend for her birthday as we always go travelling together every year. I think she found it good as a keep sake (read the quote in the front - it's lovely). Quite informative - but not something you would necessarily travel with.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Supreme Fan

Agreed, it's neat because it gives you places and travel ideas you might not have thought of but that are really neat, off the beaten path, places to travel. But I agree, they're really expensive places so be sure that you do some research if you decide to travel to exotic locals because cheaper accommodation is avaliavle.
I'd read it at the bookstore with paper and a pen, mark down the places that sound really interesting to you, and then research them online. Use the book as a third source, after the internet and other travel guides. It's broad, but still can be interesting for something you might not have thought of earlier.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:28 PM
Supreme Fan

Do you guys know of any good travel books? fairly general like that, that have a bunch of places around the world to go visit? I don't have a particular country in mind, but I love to travel

Thank you Lemurian
icon by: Bleeding_Muse
"Well he won't be so happy when he discovers his wife is a fruit-munching monster! -Merlin
Teriberri21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Supreme Fan

I love the lonely planet guide books. I think they're one of the best, my family and I planned a vacation to Ireland off that book and it was awesome. My suggection for that is to get the Europe version of Lonely Planet. It's a really big book, kind of expensive (so check your library) but it has most major cities, and then side day trips from those cities, throughout Europe. It has food, resturants, and you can get the Europe on a shoestring version which is really good for backpackers and budget travelers.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Loyal Fan

^ Also consider Rough Guide and Let's Go. Both are budget books for travelling along with Lonely Planet. Those 'On a Shoestring' guides were invaluble for me around Europe, but found Let's Go good for North America. I can honestly say it depends on where you are going as I don't feel any brand of books has full expertise globally - and I try my damned hardest to get everywhere - informed!
Reply   Post New Thread