Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalDenial (View Post)
I know! Those two are !

I need anis. I'm going to try to make some.
"she said. he said"

i love you. ♡
Old 09-11-2011, 11:14 AM
TotalDenial

Quote:
Originally Posted by love fades (View Post)

I need anis. I'm going to try to make some.
"she said. he said"
Aw, can't wait to see them!

And can't wait for all the interviews from today!

We are so spoiled!

Old 09-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

ooh anis! Thanks Aurora!!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 AM
Passionate Fan

There's a new message posted on the facebook page of the movie !:

Quote:
The Oranges (the movie) by Jay Reiss and Ian Helfer
Thank you everyone, so far great reviews and alot of laughs....
And here are two responses from people who saw the movie yesterday !:

Quote:
Ian and Jay...the film was outstanding. We were in the front row at Wintergarden last evening for the premier - you both should have been on stage too! The way you treated the moral dilemma these two families were experiencing was both hilarious and thought provoking. Congratulations to you and thank you.
Quote:
Saw the premiere yesterday night at the Winter Garden theater in Toronto... and it was 5star! Laughed so hard, crawled inside my shoes, and really connected with the characters. Beautiflly written, directed, and acted! Fine job guys. I hope you all win every possible award for this great film!
(Source: The Oranges (the movie) by Jay Reiss and Ian Helfer | Facebook)
Old 09-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Fan Forum Hero

AWESOME!!! The overall reaction has been so positive!!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:28 AM
Fan Forum Star

love the response.

i love you. ♡
Old 09-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

if critics love this is it possible it could be nominated for like a critics choice award? or w.e when its released
Old 09-11-2011, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Fan

Couple more vids from the Q&A.
The Oranges (November 2011) : Dr. Gregory House (Hugh Laurie) - Dr. House Forum - 14

The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud.
Coco Chanel
Icon: http://split-loyalties.livejournal.com/
Old 09-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Passionate Fan

I hope we get more vids from the Q&A session !:

Quote:
The facilitator might get beat down by the audience if she cuts the Q&A short. People are rabid to talk to this brilliant cast. #TIFF11
Quote:
Oliver Platt ended the Q&A by making the writers stand up and having us all applaud their incredible work. Class acts, all of them. #TIFF11
(Source: Toronto Film Scene (@theTFS) on Twitter)
Old 09-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Elite Fan

Leighton looks stunning. Really want to see this film.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Passionate Fan

This review from The Hollywood Reporter is so, so about the movie!:

Quote:
The Oranges: Toronto Review

A gifted ensemble of actors, including Hugh Laurie, Leighton Meester and Catherine Keener, manage to hit a sweet spot despite mediocre material, writes THR film critic David Rooney.

Watching the wryly funny Alia Shawkat roll her eyes and vent with deadpan disdain as two families go into a tailspin because her dad is sleeping with his best friend’s daughter, it’s tempting to wonder what twisted comedy magic the actor’s old TV alma mater, Arrested Development, would have spun out of that plotline. Director Julian Farino and the screenwriters of The Oranges, in which the scenario does unfold, are not in that league.

Apprenticed in British television, Farino has been part of the HBO pool since 2004, directing episodes of Entourage, Big Love, Rome and How to Make It in America. His U.S. feature debut, from a patchy script by Jay Reiss and Ian Helfer, is visually undistinguished and relies too heavily on the music slathered over almost every scene to shape its herky-jerky tone. But Farino is good with actors, and in his corner he does have a gifted ensemble, who often manage to hit a sweet spot even in this mediocre material.

Shawkat’s character, Vanessa, stalled in neutral since graduating from design school, is the voiceover commentator of this twin family meltdown. But sadly, she’s not the center of the story. That would be her one-time best friend and neighbor, Nina (Leighton Meester), who returns home after a five-year absence to lick her wounds following a bust-up with her cheating fiancé (Sam Rosen). Bringing chaos in her wake, Nina is capricious, selfish and unsympathetic, oblivious to the pain she’s causing everyone close to her. Yet, in the screenwriters’ psychologically unsound plan, we’re expected to invest in her.

The two sets of parents are the Ostroffs, David (Hugh Laurie) and Paige (Catherine Keener), and the Wallings, Terry (Oliver Platt) and Cathy (Allison Janney), and when the comedy delivers it’s largely due to the timing of these four pros. Neighbors in West Orange, New Jersey, they are so deeply enmeshed in one another’s lives they virtually belong to the same family.

Their friendship provides a cushion from the ripples of marital discord beneath all the backyard barbecues and shared Sunday dinners. David has been spending more nights in his man cave in the pool shed than with Paige for some time. And Cathy only tolerates Terry and his gadget mania by pretending he’s invisible and inaudible.

While both families quietly (or not so quietly in manipulative Cathy’s case) hope Nina will fall into a relationship with Vanessa’s career-minded brother Toby (Adam Brody), instead she chooses his dad as her fallback guy. Fun as it is to watch the resourceful Laurie torpedoed by a mix of lust, guilt and panic, this mutual attraction is grounded nowhere beyond the necessity to wreak comic havoc. Once that’s in motion, the writers let it sit there and fester, not quite sure what to do with it.

Fortunately, Platt has a limitless arsenal of amusing ways to express helpless shellshock, and Janney has a similarly ample range with appalled and exasperated, yielding a good share of genuine laughs. But none of the characters aside from Vanessa – doubly betrayed by Nina, who dumped her in high school to hang with the pretty, popular girls -- is written with any consistency. The most ill-served is Paige, a control freak who starts drilling the neighborhood caroling group in August, and a part for which inherently cool Keener is a poor fit.

The director and writers manage capably enough while the action sticks in light, sitcommy mode, but when it turns serious the movie runs out of juice. Its cathartic moments feel fabricated, notably Paige out of nowhere exorcizing her rage on the Wallings’ elaborate front-yard holiday lights. (The action takes place roughly Thanksgiving through Christmas, though it clearly was shot in warmer months.)

Helfer and Reiss push predictable buttons with their message that out of the messiest situations, fresh self-knowledge and serenity can sometimes be hatched. There’s enough generic feelgood stuff in the proudly nonjudgmental film’s themes of love and forgiveness to make undiscerning audiences believe they’re being fed something nutritious. And the holiday-season setting makes theatrical positioning a no-brainer. But a deluxe cast like this one deserves better.

Venue: Toronto International Film Festival
Production companies: Olympus Pictures, Likely Story Production
Cast: Hugh Laurie, Catherine Keener, Oliver Platt, Allison Janney, Alia Shawkat, Adam Brody, Leighton Meester, Sam Rosen
Director: Julian Farino
Screenwriters: Jay Reiss, Ian Helfer
Producers: Anthony Bregman, Leslie Urdang, Dean Vanech
Executive producers: Ian Helfer, Jay Reiss, Stefanie Azpiazu, Sam Hoffman, Dan Revers
Director of photography: Steven Fierberg
Production designer: Dan Davis
Music: Klaus Badelt, Andrew Raiher
Costume designer: David Robinson
Editors: Jeffrey M. Werner, Carole Kravetz Aykanian
Sales: CAA (U.S.), FilmNation (international)
No rating, 92 minutes.

The Bottom Line
A shaky comedy that scrapes by thanks to its terrific ensemble.
(Source: The Oranges: Toronto Review - The Hollywood Reporter)
Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Passionate Fan

Leighton is so lovely !:

Quote:
Cutie Leighton Meester heading out. Allison Janney in car too! #TIFF11 Lockerz.com : Mr. Will-W.'s Photo
(Source: Twitter)

I think Leighton went to another venue with her co-stars !:

Quote:
Gossip Girls @itsmeleighton is in the building! She is so gorge! Here with her co-stars from the film "The Oranges" #VarietyHolts #TIFF11
Quote:
Dr. House - Hugh Laurie is very handsome in real life. @Variety studio @HoltRenfrew
Quote:
Queen B is funny and sweet, she's sporting new bangs, we like it! xoxo Gossip Girl #VarietyHolts #TIFF11
(Source: http://twitter.com/holtrenfrewPR)

ETA:

Sorry, for the double post!

Last edited by Annette1986; 09-11-2011 at 12:16 PM
Old 09-11-2011, 12:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

i love you. ♡
Old 09-11-2011, 12:22 PM
Passionate Fan

Leighton talking about The Oranges (she is so nice ) !:

Quote:
A Juicy Tale: Leighton Meester Talks to Beautygeeks About The Oranges

Some time ago when Leighton Meester was in town, I shared a back seat with her enroute to the airport. Parts of that interview are here, here, here and here. This post is what she told me about her role as Nina Ostroff in The Oranges, which features a terrific cast, including Hugh Laurie. (The film had its TIFF opening at the Winter Garden Theatre last night. When asked whether they knew about Hugh’s role as a spokesman for L’Oréal Paris Men Expert, castmates reacted with surprise, even shock — you’ll see video soon.)

LEIGHTON MEESTER “…I did a movie called The Oranges. That was a wonderful cast. We shot it in New York: Hugh Laurie, Katherine Keener, Allison Janney, Oliver Platt. [It's] about two families who are best friends and neighbours. My character is the daughter of one family who falls in love with the father in the other family. It’s very funny and dark.

BEAUTYGEEKS That kind of role is going to make some people uncomfortable. How do you deal with that, prepping for it, then just doing it?

LM The script is amazing, one of the best scripts I’ve ever read. I fell in love with it the first time I read it, and being on the set… it was a delicate subject because I know a lot of people wouldn’t understand. But at the same time, the two characters actually love each other. It’s a real love story, not just lust. It’s not necessarily a happy story, but it has a lot of truth in it, and is all about learning about life and how things change. It doesn’t always stay the same. I think we executed it in a way people will understand and sympathize with… and, I mean, it’s Hugh Laurie.

I did “House,” years ago. I played a young girl who gets sick in the brain and becomes obsessed with him. He’s wonderful and a completely different character in this. In “House” he’s so cool and sarcastic, but in this movie he’s very funny, but he’s so awkward. He lives a very rigid lifestyle; my character helps him break out of that. We have a lot of fun together. We had a blast on that movie; I adore him.

BG What’s it like working with someone you’ve worked with before, but in a completely different story, as a different character?

LM …the beauty of working with someone like Hugh Laurie [is that] he really makes excellent choices as far as what he decides to do with the character. Whether it’s from wardrobe to the way he to the way he walks — I really admire that. You have to make really firm choices with your characters and really follow through.

That’s the beauty of my job, I get to play all of these different people and fall in love with each one of them for different reasons. And also notice their flaws and love them for that, too. This character in The Oranges is very imperfect.

I didn’t see the movie last night, so I’ll head for the theatres when it’s released. Will you see it?
(Source: Leighton Meester Talks to Beautygeeks About The Oranges)
Old 09-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Fan Forum Star

A much better set of anis, obviously not mine.

i love you. ♡
Closed Thread   Post New Thread