Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-09-2011, 10:51 PM
Master Fan

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the messages here and elsewhere. Yesterday he moved a toe and was yawning but it was all involuntary. Today he opened an eye but it didn't seem like he was really looking at anything. When the nurse was shaving him, he was moving a little bit, almost as if he was trying to resist. We're not sure how to take that. They didn't take him off any machines so he's still alive. The neurosurgeon did some touch testing and he seems to think there's some kind of response from him each time. Just taking it day by day for now.

This is a video from one of the news crews that was at a ceremony honoring the only person to pull over and help. He's a 17 year old kid that had just finished his 2nd week of First Aid training in gym class. I'm not sure if I'd have the guts to help out but I'm glad he did. Teenager John McCarthy performs CPR, saves driver's life | abc7chicago.com
Old 03-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Master Fan

I'll keep him in my thoughts. I hope he makes it.

Props to that kid. I don't think I could do it either. I've seen my boyfriend jump into action and I don't know how they do it without freezing up, especially for a teenager. I'm so glad he came through for your uncle.

-Hannah
Old 03-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Elite Fan

Glad to see that you stopped by, Sara.

You & your family are in my thoughts.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Master Fan

Blah.

I had a terrible job interview yesterday(forgot my name, made bad jokes and walked into a door, then a wall!); then, today I got an e-mail from another place I applied to and they told me I didn't meet their requirements in terms of experience. Funny since I actually did meet them and exceed them, but instead of saying that, they said I didn't meet the advanced administrative duties. I ran an entire office basically on my own, but evidently that's not advanced enough. I know someone else who applied for the job and she got an interview.... she had less experience, less advanced administrative duties than I did. Just really made me mad!

-Hannah
Old 03-10-2011, 04:05 PM
Master Fan

Sorry to hear that. I hate the experience excuse. I've heard it more times than I care to remember.

No real change today. They took him off the ventilator. He seems to struggle a bit but they think he'll be able to handle it. He still keeps opening one eye but not for a long time. They're going to do another brain scan tomorrow and see if there's more activity.

Had pain-free dress/shoe shopping today for my friends' upcoming wedding. And win-win, I can use it for my little cousin's Confirmation too. And it's black in case I need it for other things I don't want to think about at this point..
Old 03-10-2011, 04:30 PM
Elite Fan

You can never go wrong with a black dress.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:29 PM
Master Fan

So true.

Last week I watched Isaac before he went to school and when I made him a sandwich, I asked if he wanted it cut in triangles or squares. Sandwich shapes were always very important to me. I still think twice before I cut mine. Apparently, this earned me major cool points as he constantly reminds his mom to ask him first. Cool points from four year olds can be hard to come by so I'm pretty honored.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 PM
Master Fan

It's so ridiculous, especially when I know I met the qualifications. Just say you went with someone else.

Oh, shopping! I love shopping! Sounds like you did well!

That's good... that they think your uncle can handle it, right? Hopefully there's more activity and encouraging news tomorrow!

-Hannah
Old 03-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Master Fan

Sara, I'm always here if you need anything. If you remember what went on with my mom last year, I feel like I have somewhat of a similar situation to relate to you.
icon
Old 03-10-2011, 11:13 PM
Master Fan

Sorry for the double post. FF is going wack on me.
icon
Old 03-11-2011, 01:28 AM
Master Fan

Japan was hit with a huge earthquake and tsunami, which could hit the west coast here in North America. :/

-Hannah
Old 03-11-2011, 09:01 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkiiMonkii7078 (View Post)
Sara, I'm always here if you need anything. If you remember what went on with my mom last year, I feel like I have somewhat of a similar situation to relate to you.
Thanks Jess. I do remember and hope you and your family are still doing well after everything. Thankfully with all the added stress, my mom is still doing okay and hopefully things will get better with my uncle too.

The Japan stuff is insane. I can't even imagine. A whole group of softball players just went over there the other day to play in their pro league. Luckily they are safe and accounted for. It didn't hit Hawaii with too much force, I've checked on friends there already. It seems as though it won't hit the mainland coast with much intensity either. Or it didn't, I can't remember what time that was supposed to be.

Whenever you think you have problems there's always much worse going on somewhere else.
Old 03-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Master Fan

Absolutely. Stuff like this always puts things in perspective. This week was bad for me but it was worse for you, the people in Japan. :/

I have some friends in Hawaii too and they're all fine. Some on the west coast who were evacuated but they're okay too. But Cali seems to be getting hit a bit. Obviously nothing like Japan but they were showing some pictures of boats being tossed out to sea and being capsized, which obviously isn't much but just seeing it.... :/ They;re reporting that up to 1000 people may have been killed in Japan. :/ I wish the media would report more on Japan than on Cali. I get that they should still report on the west coast but the tsunami's impact isn't as great here as it is there. They should be reporting on how to help!

-Hannah

Last edited by Umgirl; 03-11-2011 at 10:28 AM
Old 03-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, events like this always put life into perspective.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Master Fan

Going to Florida next month. It'll be nice to get away.

No new news on the uncle front. He had a brain scan today but results weren't back when I talked to my aunt. Probably find out more tomorrow.

Volunteering with the Sox tomorrow. All the boys are in AZ for spring training but it's still fun to do some good.

My 5K times span from 40-43 minutes now. It's not horrible, but it's rather depressing when I know I used to run 8 minute miles in high school.. St. Paddy's 5K a week from Sunday. I'm hoping to break 40. The closest I've gotten is 40:23.