Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 11-12-2009, 02:08 PM
Elite Fan

Should the Moonlight board stay?

Hey guys,

Susan and myself would like your opinion about something important.

We feel that the Moonlight board is slipping away. It has been 1,5 years since Moonlight got canceled after only 16 episodes and we feel there is not a lot left to talk about. Many posters have moved on and there's only a few posters that visit regularly. But the discussions have been going in circles, discussions go off topic, because there's nothing left to discuss and it has become impossible to attract new posters. Only the Alex thread is very popular, but there is one for him on the Male Celebs board as well.

It breaks both our hearts to do this, because Susan and I both love Moonlight very much, as we know you do, too. But is it enough to keep this board going? We don't want to see the board slipping away, because we can't meet the post count. But we can't continue the way we have, either, or the board will die a slow death.

We would like to get your opinions on this.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Susan and Yvonne

Like the philosopher Jagger once said: You can't always get what you want.
Yvonne
Old 11-12-2009, 02:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

This is so sad! To be honest, I'm have mixed feelings about closing the board. I haven't been posting here lately (stupid real life, I barely have time for the board I mod ) so I can't say "I'm gonna miss posting here everyday" and things like that, but at the same time just knowing the board is here is kinda comforting, 'cause it's the place where I know I can find Y, Es, Susan, etc...not to mention I have an emotional connection to the board because I used to mod it, and the show will always be one of my favorites.

I think it's up to you guys because you know the flow of the board better than anyone. If you think posting here has become a chore and that nothing meaningful is coming out of the discussions, than closing the board is obviously the best choice. If you think that there are things you can do to make the board significant again or that it's worth it to keep it going until it comes to a natural end, then so be it. We can always meet and talk about the show on the Television board.

Old 11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
If you think posting here has become a chore and that nothing meaningful is coming out of the discussions, than closing the board is obviously the best choice.
That's the point we have come to.

Quote:
If you think that there are things you can do to make the board significant again or that it's worth it to keep it going until it comes to a natural end, then so be it.
I don't think we can. We've tried new threads, reviving old ones, but we've done that before, and it worked then. It's not working any more.

Quote:
We can always meet and talk about the show on the Television board.
That at least is comforting to know.

Yvonne
Old 11-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Elite Fan

Just like Tar I have mixed feelings about this, it's a place I used to mod (with Tar, Y and Susan). Even though I haven't been here much lately, I still love this board and it's posters.

This is very sad news, but also understandable. Like you said discussions will go in circles and off topic.
I guess I am with Tar, that I think it's up to you to make that decision, which ever one it is, I am behind you guys 100%. It is very difficult to keep things on topic with so few things to talk about, but I guess we all did a great job at keeping it alive for so long

We can all meet at the TV board and the Alex thread
It will be difficult to say goodbye, but we have good memories about this lovely board and it poster. At least I do

Old 11-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 11-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator Manager

Moderator of ...
Info Center
Star Trek

Thanks for getting this started Yvonne. I'm sure that it must have been very difficult for you and Susan to even consider the possibility of asking about closing the board. However, as you say, sometimes it does get to the point where everything has been analyzed and it's hard to find new things to discuss. It's nice to go out strong and with fond memories rather than watch a board decline. If everybody feels the same, perhaps the time has come that the show would be best served by a thread on the Television or SciFi-Fantasy board.
Old 11-12-2009, 05:57 PM
Ultimate Fan

I still can't believe this is happening...
I really appreciate you guys coming on here and voice your opinions (It's like a little mod reunion. ) and it makes me a little feel better to hear you say you're behind our decision.
I really don't want to say goodbye to this board, but i feel that it may be time to say goodbye. We do have a couple of loyal posters, but they mostly post on a couple of the thread once a while. We've managed to get a post count of over 300 every week, but its starting to feel that Y and I are 75% of those post and that it's just a chore to keep the place alive. As much a i love Y it's gets kind of boring when we have the same conversation about the same scene or pic over and over again. And because of this it's lead to off topic conversation which is a big no no on FF

We've tried new threads and games, but we feel that people are loosing interest in the show since there was only 16 episodes and the show is no longer showing reruns. Hope everyone understand and aren't to angry.

I would rather see this board go out with a bang then have it wiither and die out. That would really break both of our hearts

Quote:
it's the place where I know I can find Y, Es, Susan, etc
But like Es said , this isn't good bye. There is always the moonlight thread on the tv board and Alex's thread on MC board. And theirs also twitter and LJ, plus all those other social network sites
Old 11-12-2009, 07:12 PM
Part-Time Fan

Well, it was fun while it lasted but it is your guys's decision to make. You guys do what you feel you need to do. Since I know now that there is an Alex thread in the MC section. I can go there. Besides, we have the ML dvd to satisfy us.

It will be sad to lose this thread but well, life goes on and one must move with it.

Where is the Alex thread? I don't see one for him. Can you give me the link?

Last edited by Mickslover; 11-12-2009 at 07:17 PM
Old 11-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

I appreciate you both starting this thread as a place for posters to discuss whether they think the board can stay around and be viable.

I realize how difficult it was for both of you to even consider this....
Old 11-13-2009, 02:25 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for all your kind comments, everyone!

Quote:
It's nice to go out strong and with fond memories rather than watch a board decline.
That's how we felt. And it was a hard even considering, because as everyone here, I do have some great memories of this board and the posters.

Quote:
Where is the Alex thread? I don't see one for him. Can you give me the link?
http://www.fanforum.com/f26/alex-olo...knew-62816819/

Yvonne
Old 11-13-2009, 03:31 AM
Total Fan

Aw, I'm so sorry to hear this I'm sure it was a very difficult decision for you guys and I totally understand why you made it.
It's good to know we can always meet on the TV board and Alex's thread.

Ugh, I hate goodbyes! I will miss this board

Old 11-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Passionate Fan

First of all, thanks to Susan for giving me a heads up about this question, as I've been away for a while.

IMO, Moonlight would be better served by a single thread on the television board (or wherever). Having so many different threads on different topics, and needing to restrict ourselves to that particular topic when the show is over and nothing new is coming up is something I find very difficult. Many times I've had something to post in the past few months, but I haven't been sure exactly where to put it, or whether it was even worth it to put it anywhere because the already thinned out discussion (due to the show's being canceled) was so fragmented. A single thread would allow us to discuss anything ML related. I, for one, would love that.

I salute the valiant mods and posters who tried to keep the board going for as long as possible, and I have a personal interest in your having done so. I watched ML from the beginning, but didn't go looking for an internet ML community until after it was canceled and the fandom had suffered some nasty incidents and fractures. FF was one of only two friendly ML sites I found, and such a relief from all the drama on other sites. So thank you for being here when I was looking for someone to enjoy the show with. It was wonderful to share it with other people who loved the show. I'd still like to do that, and I think consolidating the discussions on a single thread would work better at this point in time.

Oh, and thanks for the link to the Alex thread. Bookmarked!
Old 11-13-2009, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Ugh, I hate goodbyes! I will miss this board
Old 11-13-2009, 06:55 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpaisley (View Post)
Thanks for all your kind comments, everyone!

That's how we felt. And it was a hard even considering, because as everyone here, I do have some great memories of this board and the posters.

http://www.fanforum.com/f26/alex-olo...knew-62816819/
Thanks for the link. Damn!!! Looks like the thread needs to be more active. Well, we'll all just hook up over there. Let's get the party started.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Fan

yeah i'm sure we can meet up there.

hey guys i would appreciate it if you don't spread the word saying the ML board is closing just yet. We still have to wait to hear what Jerry has to say about this (since he gets the last say in things )
thanks