Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2020, 11:40 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisherwasher (View Post)
Yes. They establish in The Girl I Love that she should ask first. Which is what she does in Christmas. And he says no. Then she explains it's really important to her. He still says no. It's not until she pouts that he says yes.

The fact that they have a pre-established storyline about it is what makes it so grating because it displays she HAS grown on that level and it's benefited nothing. On a broader level, the whole recurring theme of all the men in the show acting like anything the girls ask them to do is some Sisyphean task is annoying.
Technically, she tells him "you have to take me to the dance," then asks

More seriously - it's writing and performance together that make me like those scenes. Of course Hyde doesn't want to go to a school function - he's Hyde. But their "arguments" only last a few seconds. Jackie doesn't get that upset, her puppy-dog "please" and "bolo?" are both exaggerated and playful, Hyde quickly agrees, and Jackie accepts that without rubbing it in that Hyde "buckled." IMO, it's more banter than a fight.

I would agree that "woman wants to do something, man complains the whole time" is grossly overused - in sitcoms in general, and in this show after a certain point.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen3to5 (View Post)
Technically, she tells him "you have to take me to the dance," then asks
In the form of a question.

Quote:
More seriously - it's writing and performance together that make me like those scenes. Of course Hyde doesn't want to go to a school function - he's Hyde. But their "arguments" only last a few seconds. Jackie doesn't get that upset, her puppy-dog "please" and "bolo?" are both exaggerated and playful, Hyde quickly agrees, and Jackie accepts that without rubbing it in that Hyde "buckled." IMO, it's more banter than a fight.
I can agree with that were it a solitary incident. But that's a whole show thing rather than a simple J/H thing. I definitely get your point about the dance, though he had no issues going to the Valentine's Day dance, but well, you are dating a HS girl. If you are in a relationship, that's part of it. Pretty sure neither Jackie or Kitty wanted to go look at car parts, neither does Jackie kick up a fuss when Hyde agrees for both of them to go on a double with Kelso and Brooke the very next episode.

I can agree it's meant to be banter, too. It's just not all that funny and betrays character growth.

Quote:
I would agree that "woman wants to do something, man complains the whole time" is grossly overused - in sitcoms in general, and in this show after a certain point.
That's why I'm not a big fan of sitcoms. It wouldn't really bother me if it was called out every once in awhile rather than the girls being labeled as bossy ballbreakers.
Old 04-02-2020, 08:25 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
And thank you!
No problem
Old 04-03-2020, 07:02 AM
Obsessed Fan

It's more of a thank you, Lisa
Old 04-03-2020, 03:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 04-04-2020, 06:17 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishik5 (View Post)
It's more of a thank you, Lisa
Aw! Dashaaaaa.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Old 04-05-2020, 01:28 PM
JSB
New Fan

Speaking of "Christmas," I just love that little cheerleading scene at the end where Jackie dances for Hyde. You can see his head bopping at the beginning and smile at her when she comes down to lounge between his legs. I just wish we got to see more of that kiss they had before it faded to Red and Kitty. There's just something about the way Hyde kisses Jackie with both his hands cradling her face.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I wish we did too
Old 04-07-2020, 01:34 PM
JSB
New Fan

I mean I like that Hyde and Jackie were more than just sex and we didn't need to see them in bed but at the same time, I wish we got some more insight about them being intimate. Even if it's a comment about how loud they are in the basement. Or coming out of Hyde's room together with mussed hair/clothes or something.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:09 PM
Dedicated Fan

I have wondered why they decided to make J/H so background regarding that aspect. Perhaps they thought with the other characters being so over the top with it, they didn't want to make every ship like that.

Both Jackie and Hyde were never as in-your-face as the others and both pretty confident about it, so I guess it's in-character for them to keep all that to themselves.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

I can see why they did not a big deal about it in the show. They did have some great kisses though and you could see they were intimate in many other ways.
I am an original”
Old 04-08-2020, 03:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

They certainly did
Old 04-08-2020, 12:57 PM
JSB
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
I can see why they did not a big deal about it in the show. They did have some great kisses though and you could see they were intimate in many other ways.
Very true. Their first kiss was hotter than any of the other characters shown between the sheets lol

Seriously, that kiss in JBH is sooooooooooooooooo good. As if they "didn't feel anything." WE ALL DID.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:05 PM
Fan Forum Legend

We sure did