Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 01:53 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, season 8 is . It's the only season I didn't bother to buy on DVD, and I don't know if I've even seen every episode. Definitely doesn't hold up to the others. I still technically consider it canon even if I don't like everything that happened, but to each their own.

The direction they took with Fez in that season was just really weird in general. He suddenly became a ladies man. I wonder if that was secretly their plan for him all along - to be suave and getting the ladies by the end of the series.

Yeah, I love Buddy because I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt . He and Topher had the first male-on-male network TV kiss, which, I agree, is pretty cool! Another example of the T70S writers/showrunners being progressive.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysevenseconds (View Post)
Yeah, he said it in season 8 when Jackie wrote "Fez has a small [blank]" on the side of his car. He said something like, "No, it's perfectly normal compared to the other ones I've seen!"

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean Fez/Kelso would ever be together. Kelso's clearly not gay. I don't know if I've ever read a fic featuring them together. I just think Fez might've gone off to some big city somewhere after the show ended and maybe tried dating a dude or two. There was a fic I read a while ago that was set in the 80's, which was when all of the AIDS stuff was really happening, and a subplot was Fez discovering his sexuality. Kind of an interesting take on it.

I do love Fez/Kelso's friendship, though. They're such big kids together.
I think I remember that fic, I can't remember the name but it sounds really familiar.
I am an original”
Old 04-03-2014, 02:31 AM
Master Fan

I would have liked to see more of Buddy too.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, season 8 is . It's the only season I didn't bother to buy on DVD, and I don't know if I've even seen every episode. Definitely doesn't hold up to the others. I still technically consider it canon even if I don't like everything that happened, but to each their own.
Uh-oh ... I feel a S8 rant coming on (mine). BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES!

For me, it goes beyond not liking what happened. It's that none of the characters behave like themselves. Their S8 behavior and attitudes contradict the previous seven years that came before it. S8 breaks the fictional dream of the show, and if a novel's last chapter were to have the characters change so drastically without any setup in the previous chapters -- without any subtext, either? That novel would be rejected by agents and publishers.

For instance, I don't like that Jackie goes back to Kelso in season 3, but it's in her character to do so. So I consider that canon. But Eric wouldn't have broken up with Donna while in Africa. Hyde never would've married a stranger. Fez wouldn't have become a Kelso-like misogynistic playboy (he treated the ladies who slept with him pretty badly). Donna wouldn't have chosen Sam over Jackie, to the point of being a total bitch to Jackie, saying she doesn't know why she ever became friend with Jackie.

Nothing that happens in season 8 follows the canon or characterization of S1-S7. The characters' names may be the same with the same actors, but they're different characters. Unrecognizable. Even David Trainer (T7S's director) called S8 an "alternate reality" -- in other words, not canon.

Quote:
The direction they took with Fez in that season was just really weird in general. He suddenly became a ladies man. I wonder if that was secretly their plan for him all along - to be suave and getting the ladies by the end of the series.
From what I've read, that directive came from Wilmer. He himself has (or had) a reputation of being a playboy (during a Howard Stern interview, he infamously went on about all the female celebs he'd had sex with). He didn't want to be typecast as Fez, so he asked for Fez's character to shift to be more of a lady killer, like Wilmer viewed himself.

I can understand him not wanting to be typecast, but Fez is who Fez is. Don't sign onto season 8 if you don't want to keep playing the character. It's like when Jaleel White played Steve Urkel, and Family Matters created a suave alter-ego for him (i.e. "Stephan") to show he could portray more than just a geek. But at least Steve Urkel was still Urkel.

Quote:
Yeah, I love Buddy because I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt . He and Topher had the first male-on-male network TV kiss, which, I agree, is pretty cool! Another example of the T70S writers/showrunners being progressive.
Ooh, I didn't know that was it the first m/m kiss on network TV. Cool. I like that Buddy was a real character, not a stereotype to make fun of.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:13 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
I don't think Fez is gay or bi. I think he's affection-hungry. In his culture, men probably show affection to each other far more easily than they do in the U.S. For instance, when Eric first introduces Fez to Red, Fez tries to kiss Red on the mouth. Also, when he first becomes friends with Hyde, he wants to hold Hyde's hand. Non-physical examples include: 1) wanting to have a shared song and game with Hyde and 2) calling Eric up at three in the morning to ask if they're still friends.
Yeah Fez is affection-hungry. I don't remember him trying to kiss Red but I remember him trying to kiss Kitty the first time they met It must be a cultural difference. In his country they must be really affectionate or something. I wish we could've learned more about his country and maybe met someone in his family. I know he mentioned having a sister.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanselnext (View Post)
Yeah Fez is affection-hungry. I don't remember him trying to kiss Red but I remember him trying to kiss Kitty the first time they met
It happens thirty-five seconds in.

Quote:
It must be a cultural difference. In his country they must be really affectionate or something. I wish we could've learned more about his country and maybe met someone in his family.
Me, too -- and not the way it happened in S8. Imagine Fez introducing his parents to Red and Kitty -- and his parents trying to kiss them.

Quote:
I know he mentioned having a sister.
Yeah, when Kelso starts dating/sleeping with Angie. Fez says, "This is why I keep my sister ten-thousand miles away in a jungle."

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 04-07-2014 at 04:18 PM
Old 04-07-2014, 06:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

Fez trying to kiss Red, one scary and funny scene!
I am an original”
Old 04-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Fez is like he came away with his life. He's also lucky Red let him inside the house after that -- just 'cause this is Red we're talking about.

I wonder how often Fez hung out at Kelso's house, though. We see this happen in "When the Levee Breaks," but that's it.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think Fez probably hung out at Kelso's house often, we just didn't see it.
I am an original”
Old 04-09-2014, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Kelso would've had to protect Fez from his brothers. And his sister from Fez!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:48 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Kelso would've had to protect Fez from his brothers. And his sister from Fez!
I wish we could've seen Fez date Kelso's sister. That would be so interesting and so funny. It would be sweet karma.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I wish we could've seen Fez date Kelso's sister. That would be so interesting and so funny. It would be sweet karma.
So sweet! Such a wasted opportunity. With the Kelso-centric-ness of S6, we surely could've gotten some Kelso!family action. And with bringing in Hyde's sister in S7, Kelso could've wanted to "compete" and make his own sister part of the group.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:31 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
So sweet! Such a wasted opportunity. With the Kelso-centric-ness of S6, we surely could've gotten some Kelso!family action. And with bringing in Hyde's sister in S7, Kelso could've wanted to "compete" and make his own sister part of the group.
It was a wasted opportunity. We only got to meet Casey and he ended up being worse than Kelso.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:44 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think Kelso's sister should've been freakin' awesome -- to the point of people questioning if she were really a Kelso. I'd also want her to be overweight, as the guys claimed she was and have it be totally irrelevant to how cool Eric, Hyde, and Donna think she is. Eric and Hyde's POV would shift on judging someone's attraction factor based on weight (that was a really bad moment on the show) -- and maybe they'd be shocked she falls for Fez.

...And then they'd realize she's a Kelso. Kelsos all eventually love Fez. Casey would have, too, if he'd spent enough time with him.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
I think Kelso's sister should've been freakin' awesome -- to the point of people questioning if she were really a Kelso. I'd also want her to be overweight, as the guys claimed she was and have it be totally irrelevant to how cool Eric, Hyde, and Donna think she is. Eric and Hyde's POV would shift on judging someone's attraction factor based on weight (that was a really bad moment on the show) -- and maybe they'd be shocked she falls for Fez.

...And then they'd realize she's a Kelso. Kelsos all eventually love Fez. Casey would have, too, if he'd spent enough time with him.
That is a very interesting scenario, Lisa I swear you come up with the best ideas!
I am an original”