Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014, 06:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by speccyshaman (View Post)
Oh, wow. This is my guilty pleasure pairing. <3 they are so cute together.
Fez would be very flattered to be shipped with Kelso.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:58 PM
Fan Forum Star

Fez would be happy, he pretty much worshiped Kelso.
I am an original”
Old 03-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
Fez would be happy, he pretty much worshiped Kelso.
Yeah, he did. Fez might become addicted to Kelso/Fez fanfic. Then again, he might also be disturbed there's more fanfic about himself and Kelso then there is about himself and women -- but mostly he'd be flattered.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Part-Time Fan

Does anyone think there's a possibility that Fez was actually gay? Or, maybe bi-sexual.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't think Fez is gay or bi. I think he's affection-hungry. In his culture, men probably show affection to each other far more easily than they do in the U.S. For instance, when Eric first introduces Fez to Red, Fez tries to kiss Red on the mouth. Also, when he first becomes friends with Hyde, he wants to hold Hyde's hand. Non-physical examples include: 1) wanting to have a shared song and game with Hyde and 2) calling Eric up at three in the morning to ask if they're still friends.

I believe Fez when he says his admiration for Kelso's looks is aesthetic, not sexual. I also think Fez gets confused sometimes that Kelso isn't a girl. Even Roy says all Kelso would need is a blonde wig to look like Goldie Hawn. But the moment Fez saw Kelso's junk, Fez would "back away, not today," to quote Disco Stu.

That's not to say Fez wasn't highly possessive of Kelso in the show's later seasons. And there's that one moment where he and Kelso are fake-Frenching in imitation of Hyde and Jackie -- and Fez makes it clear to us he thought Kelso was being affectionate with him, not pretending to be anyone else. Fez would probably do everything physically (not sexually) affectionate with Kelso -- like cuddle and kiss (to his mind, it would be platonic) and hold hands.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think Fez is affection hungry too. He always seemed to seek it out from all of his friends. I won't lie, Fez being bi has crossed my mind a couple of times, but I think he just was used to showing affection more.
I am an original”
Old 03-28-2014, 02:00 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, I would agree about the cultural differences thing. Especially in earlier seasons, they tried to make it clear that a lot of Fez's social faux-pas (like kissing Red ) were due to him being from a place with very different customs.

I dunno, though. I would not be surprised if he were bi. He's certainly not gay, because he was very attracted to women on the show and obsessed with getting sex. But I think there were enough indicators throughout the series that he was at least curious about the same sex... his sex dream about Kelso, expressing interest in cross-dressing, his appreciation for the male "aesthetic", etc. They amped this dynamic up as the series went on. Of course, none of that is conclusive, but I just wouldn't be surprised if Fez ended up experimenting.

I don't know... he almost strikes me as pansexual - attraction to all gender identities and biological sexes.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:59 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Colleen, would you want to share a game and song with Fez?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentysevenseconds (View Post)
I dunno, though. I would not be surprised if he were bi. He's certainly not gay, because he was very attracted to women on the show and obsessed with getting sex. But I think there were enough indicators throughout the series that he was at least curious about the same sex... his sex dream about Kelso, expressing interest in cross-dressing, his appreciation for the male "aesthetic", etc. They amped this dynamic up as the series went on. Of course, none of that is conclusive, but I just wouldn't be surprised if Fez ended up experimenting.
Oh, also good points. I forgot about the cross-dressing thing! Yeah, maybe Fez was bi-curious. Then again, maybe his culture doesn't have the same strictness on gender-lines as American culture does.

I honestly have trouble imagining him being happy if another man's privates were to enter the picture (no pun intended). He'd probably freak out. But his overall sense of gender roles was different than his friends'. He chose some very strong women as his girlfriends -- Big Rhonda and Nina -- and, unlike Eric with Donna, didn't feel threatened by their strength.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Part-Time Fan

I don't know. He did say that he looked at other guys', um, parts "for comparison". Riiiiight, Fez.

It's an interesting thing to explore in FanFiction, at any rate. I've seen some authors do it really well and believably, and others not so much.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:51 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I don't know. He did say that he looked at other guys', um, parts "for comparison". Riiiiight, Fez.
Did he? I don't remember that.

Quote:
It's an interesting thing to explore in FanFiction, at any rate. I've seen some authors do it really well and believably, and others not so much.
I've never read a Fez/Kelso (romantic) fic, but out of all the possible m/m ships on the show, that's the one that could most easily fit into the canon.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I think I remember him saying something like that too.

What I thought was so funny about the two of them, was that everyone seemed to pickup on how romantic their relationship appeared, except for Fez and Kelso.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:00 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyak0807 (View Post)
What I thought was so funny about the two of them, was that everyone seemed to pickup on how romantic their relationship appeared, except for Fez and Kelso.
That's true -- though the romantic element came solely from Fez. Kelso just saw Fez as his best buddy and was weirded out whenever Fez took things too far (I'm not counting the S8 finale). Kelso was pretty naive about that stuff, as we saw in "Ski Trip".

I when Hyde asks Fez (about Kelso), "You're, like, half-in-love with him, aren't you?"
Old 04-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, he said it in season 8 when Jackie wrote "Fez has a small [blank]" on the side of his car. He said something like, "No, it's perfectly normal compared to the other ones I've seen!"

Oh, yeah, I didn't mean Fez/Kelso would ever be together. Kelso's clearly not gay. I don't know if I've ever read a fic featuring them together. I just think Fez might've gone off to some big city somewhere after the show ended and maybe tried dating a dude or two. There was a fic I read a while ago that was set in the 80's, which was when all of the AIDS stuff was really happening, and a subplot was Fez discovering his sexuality. Kind of an interesting take on it.

I do love Fez/Kelso's friendship, though. They're such big kids together.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:56 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
I when Hyde asks Fez (about Kelso), "You're, like, half-in-love with him, aren't you?"
Yeah, I remember that part. It was funny.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, he said it in season 8 when Jackie wrote "Fez has a small [blank]" on the side of his car. He said something like, "No, it's perfectly normal compared to the other ones I've seen!"
Ah, that's why I don't know it or count it as part of Fez's characterization. That moment happened in season 8, which I don't consider the least bit canon.

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I didn't mean Fez/Kelso would ever be together. Kelso's clearly not gay. I don't know if I've ever read a fic featuring them together. I just think Fez might've gone off to some big city somewhere after the show ended and maybe tried dating a dude or two. There was a fic I read a while ago that was set in the 80's, which was when all of the AIDS stuff was really happening, and a subplot was Fez discovering his sexuality. Kind of an interesting take on it.
That sounds like a really heavy fic! Fez is the only main T7S character, imo, whose sexuality can be considered indeterminate. My personal take on him, though, is that he's straight with differences in cultural mores.

I wish we could've gotten to see Buddy a few more times. I really do like that T7S's initial POV on homosexuality is progressive -- back when the show actually explored '70s politics, history, and culture.