Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2015, 09:47 PM
Dedicated Fan

I remember an essay written by someone regarding that while Hyde was written as having no problem with and being attracted to Pam, Danny Masterson's acting still made him seem kind of bitter towards her. I have a feeling that a lot of that type of stuff has as much to do David Trainer, the director. He had no influence when it came to writing but I think he really knows the characters well. In the season 8 DVD commentaries, he acknowledged that season 8 was an alternate universe. A lot of the stuff (such as background moments of "Zen") I suspect comes from David Trainer's directing in my opinion.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

A lot of the background "Zen" came from Danny and Mila themselves. They'd make suggestions to David Trainer, as they did in "I'm Free," where they suggested Jackie and Hyde make out after this bit of dialogue:

Jackie: Oh, Steven you're sensitive to this because your father ditched you, too. That is so foxy.

Unfortunately, the kiss was cut out of the episode, but several fans who went to the taping reported what happened.

I don't see any bitterness or hostility from Hyde toward Pam in S6 (oh, how I wish I did ). He's more distant toward her than the other guys, I'd say, but that's about as far as it appears to go. Plus, he says to her, "I'm kind of dating your daughter" (emphasis mine) when they "first" meet. He and Jackie had been in a serious relationship for a year-and-a-half of the show.

Of course, T7S-time is totally bizarre and . According to "Who Are You," we were supposed to believe Pam was gone for only three months. There's no way all the events from the time of her absence in S5 to her return happened in only three months.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:25 PM
New Fan

The way they framed time in the whole series was just weird and way off. But they never thought they would be around as long as they were in the beginning and the basic premise was that it is a show about teenagers in the 70s. Kinda difficult to do with 8 seasons to write for. In my mind, I could see it starting in their sophomore year rather than junior year. Then making 1&2 a year's time in '75, 3&4 the next year '76, 5, 6, 7 being stand alone years '77,'78,'79 and 8 non existent.

I also sort of see them in a "novelist's sense." But to me, when writing you draw from real life emotions and experiences. So to me, it's one in the same. A lot of fanfic stories make more sense to me than the show did no matter what way you look at it. But that's due in large part to what you described. A lot was sacrificed relating to characterization for comedic affect. I loved the show, I loved jackie and hyde. But because of it being a sitcom and one of the main goals was to keep it comical, it's hard for me to hold tightly to any characterization. I'm not one to read too far in to what the show was giving us, when keeping them consistent and growing them wasn't a number one priority. I just enjoy the good parts that the show did give us and hold to the fact that if they had been a real life couple, they would've ended up together, however it happened. The fez ordeal and everything that year wasn't realistic. However, the two of them having baggage to work out, is.

It still haunts me that we were so close and unable to see it come to fruition on the screen! That's really interesting if true, about the way the show went down and was handled in season 8. I do remember reading somewhere that they didn't know they had a last season until the very end. So I'm going to believe it because it's much nicer than thinking it was all set up for her and fez from day one lol.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:36 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby Wednesday (View Post)
I just enjoy the good parts that the show did give us and hold to the fact that if they had been a real life couple, they would've ended up together, however it happened.
This is me, too. One of my main goals with Those '70s Comics is to continue developing Jackie and Hyde's characters, along the trajectory set for them in season 5. They do have a lot of things they still need to work out, and it's been fun exploring how that might've gone.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:44 AM
Dedicated Fan

I remember the original title of the show was Teenage Wasteland. I think maybe originally they didn't plan on keeping it in the '70s for the full show. The beginning of the show happened to take place in 1976. But once it was renamed to That '70s Show, they had to keep the character stuck in the '70s.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:44 PM
Fan Forum Star

So many good points made in here, all I feel I can really add right now is that I wish we could have gotten the ending we deserved. I really invested a lot in these characters, and especially Jackie/Hyde's relationship. It wasn't fair for them to be destroyed like that.
I am an original”
Old 05-16-2015, 10:11 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

Alright guys. I was always mad at my wife for not letting me watch Season 8 because even though I knew I'd hate it from what she told me, I still needed to see it with my own eyes to form a proper opinion. I'm often very lenient on watching things (i love horror movies so i'm used to crap). Watching just the first episode on Netflix a few minutes ago....I'm so angry. They use the same crappy one liners that worked before but aren't funny after being beaten over and over again. Eric isn't there but wtf, they're still in the Forman house. None of the couples are together. Who is that little dweeb they replaced Eric with who is just trying too hard to be accepted. Where the hell is Fez's accent and why does he sound like a pedophile there? Kelso being a serious character, wtf. I'm so furious and will not be watching the rest of the show. I am now on the Season 8 Hate Wagon!
Old 05-17-2015, 12:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Welcome to the hate wagon!
Old 05-17-2015, 07:13 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenSirens (View Post)
I'm so furious and will not be watching the rest of the show. I am now on the Season 8 Hate Wagon!
Wow, and just after the first episode! Welcome aboard!
Old 05-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Master Fan

Aw, poor Matt. I'm sorry you had to go through that.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Video Games
Disney

haha, thanks, guys. I'm so open and always find positive in things but this was hard (not impossible because at least they didn't break up Red and Kitty, lol). But ugh, this is garbage.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Garbage is better than season 8.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Fan Forum Star

Bumping this because I needed to vent about something stupid for a second, and it is really stupid but it annoyed me.

I was watching one of my favorite episodes of Dawon's Creek and I kept thinking why does this blonde women look familiar, and then I saw the credits and I realized, it was the girl that played Sam! It really made me mad, ironically she played an really easy women on the episode of Dawon's Creek.

Yes, I know that's a petty vent but it made me ill seeing her on my TV screen again.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:02 PM
Master Fan

Colleen. Your rant made me laugh. I needed that.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:31 PM
Fan Forum Star

Haha, I am glad I could entertain.