Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2020, 12:30 PM
JSB
New Fan

You really would think any showrunner with a brain coming into season 8 without TG would try their best to keep the rest of the show recognizable. Losing the main character was a big blow and then AK was only recurring. Knowing how popular Hyde and Jackie were with fans of the show, you'd think they would put them on center stage and invest in them, not jam 2 new characters on the show, breaking up the show's 2 biggest couples in the worst ways.

What idiot thinks the final season is the time to add "fresh blood"? Didn't S8 only get renewed at the last minute?
Old 04-06-2020, 12:52 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSB (View Post)
You really would think any showrunner with a brain coming into season 8 without TG would try their best to keep the rest of the show recognizable. Losing the main character was a big blow and then AK was only recurring. Knowing how popular Hyde and Jackie were with fans of the show, you'd think they would put them on center stage and invest in them, not jam 2 new characters on the show, breaking up the show's 2 biggest couples in the worst ways.

What idiot thinks the final season is the time to add "fresh blood"? Didn't S8 only get renewed at the last minute?
I have read it was renewed very late. If I had to guess, Fox probably didn't have confidence in the pilots they ordered, so they gave the show a renewal. They were trying to compete with Lost, which was never going to happen. So maybe they thought they had nothing to lose.

Randy was a character they created after their original intention fell through, which was to recast Topher. Charlie was originally supposed to be there, but the actor left.

The whole Jackie and J/H thing was just a vendetta the new runners had. There isn't really an explanation for the lengths they went other than that.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:28 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisherwasher (View Post)
I think the real answer is they were probably cheaper.
That, too.

Quote:
I have read it was renewed very late.
It was.

Quote:
Charlie was originally supposed to be there, but the actor left.
I'm not sure if the actor chose not to be part of S8 or if the showrunners had no interest in using him as an Eric replacement, so his contract didn't get renewed. I think it's the latter.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:49 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
I'm not sure if the actor chose not to be part of S8 or if the showrunners had no interest in using him as an Eric replacement, so his contract didn't get renewed. I think it's the latter.
Could be both.

Trying to replace Eric in any capacity was a dumb idea anyway. You had Donna, Hyde, Jackie, Fez, Red, Kitty, Bob and Kelso here and there. Those characters could easily carry the show.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Trying to replace Eric in any capacity was a dumb idea anyway. You had Donna, Hyde, Jackie, Fez, Red, Kitty, Bob and Kelso here and there. Those characters could easily carry the show.
Agreed. And with some clever writing, they could've kept Eric in the show, too. Have characters read letters from him, and then have an actor who's shown from the neck down act out some parts of the letter. An episode could've dealt with Donna trying to buy Eric the perfect birthday gift to send him, and his other friends talk about what they've sent him.

These are just two ideas. But S8 seems like it was written quickly and lazily and without much thought. I'm currently reading about The Office writers' room, and wow. Those writers worked tirelessly to keep the characters in-character and give them proper motivations and not to force them into plots that didn't fit who they are. The humor had to arise organically. If a joke or plot didn't fit X-character, they'd either cut it or find a character for whom it did fit and then rework it a bit.

I wish T7S had been written that way.

P.S. This is my 50,000th post here!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Think I read somewhere else that the actor got a lead role on another show
Old 04-06-2020, 07:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
Think I read somewhere else that the actor got a lead role on another show
Ah. So the S8 showrunners and writers killed off his character instead of just letting his character leave Point Place peacefully. Again, a "great" send-off for a departing character/cast member.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Pretty much, lol
Old 04-07-2020, 10:29 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Ah. So the S8 showrunners and writers killed off his character instead of just letting his character leave Point Place peacefully. Again, a "great" send-off for a departing character/cast member.
You either die or have your character assassinated. The S8 runners took no prisoners. He's probably better off. Eric was in Africa and they still managed to mess him up, breaking up with Donna via a letter.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:54 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Agreed. And with some clever writing, they could've kept Eric in the show, too. Have characters read letters from him, and then have an actor who's shown from the neck down act out some parts of the letter. An episode could've dealt with Donna trying to buy Eric the perfect birthday gift to send him, and his other friends talk about what they've sent him.

These are just two ideas. But S8 seems like it was written quickly and lazily and without much thought. I'm currently reading about The Office writers' room, and wow. Those writers worked tirelessly to keep the characters in-character and give them proper motivations and not to force them into plots that didn't fit who they are. The humor had to arise organically. If a joke or plot didn't fit X-character, they'd either cut it or find a character for whom it did fit and then rework it a bit.

I wish T7S had been written that way.

P.S. This is my 50,000th post here!
You could tell The Office writers worked really hard to keep the characters in character. I listen to The Office Ladies Podcast with Jenna and Angela and they give so much behind the scenes info. They all worked so hard on that show. Anyway regardless the writers and show runners could have put a lot more effort into season eight and given the fans some things to be happy about.
I am an original”
Old 04-08-2020, 03:09 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
You either die or have your character assassinated. The S8 runners took no prisoners. He's probably better off. Eric was in Africa and they still managed to mess him up, breaking up with Donna via a letter.
They really did, which sucks
Old 04-08-2020, 08:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
You either die or have your character assassinated.
Another sad but true fact. :pout

Quote:
The S8 runners took no prisoners. He's probably better off.
Ouch (but also probably true ).

Quote:
Eric was in Africa and they still managed to mess him up, breaking up with Donna via a letter.
Which Eric never would've done. Never. The showrunners wanted Donna paired with Randy, and it was another case of manipulating characters to serve plot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
You could tell The Office writers worked really hard to keep the characters in character. I listen to The Office Ladies Podcast with Jenna and Angela and they give so much behind the scenes info. They all worked so hard on that show.
They really did. The crew, too. The things they had to pull off ...
Old 04-08-2020, 08:38 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:

Which Eric never would've done. Never. The showrunners wanted Donna paired with Randy, and it was another case of manipulating characters to serve plot.
All three ended up with OCs in S8. Randy, Sam and Fez, who was so OOC that he might as well have been another S8 original character. Wilmer wasn't even bothering with the accent half the time. And I don't blame him.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:18 PM
JSB
New Fan

I noticed that none of the original actors had their heart in it anymore. They all must have seen how destructive it was. Felt like an entirely different show. The only one I know who's spoken out about how bad it was is DM. Which I love but I can't imagine MK, WV, or LP liking what it did either.

It's actually hard to decide which character was most assassinated in the final season. They all took a huge blow. My answer instinctively is Hyde because whew, he was awful. And that stache did not help.
Old 04-08-2020, 02:04 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
All three ended up with OCs in S8. Randy, Sam and Fez, who was so OOC that he might as well have been another S8 original character. Wilmer wasn't even bothering with the accent half the time. And I don't blame him.
Me neither, which said a lot